Frequent Crash to desktop with 267

BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
Hi,
NS2 has become very unstable with the latest patch. :(

Game crashes, and a Debug Windows with log.txt and minidump pops up.

No problems before patch, but now it crashes about once an hour, no specific action necessary. Tried Multithreading on or off, different texture handling sizes, cleared caches and uninstalled all mods. No change.
techsupportzip available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lorsvexvtei2hzm/tech_support.zip

Keep up the good work, except for the crashing it seems to run smoother now. ;)

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This might be the known issue. Please disable all Video tips and hints in the main menu and retry: Start NS2, go to Options->General and disable Show Hints and Commander help.

If that doesnt help, try the following:
    Open NS2, and disable ALL your personal mods.

Close NS2.

Go to C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/

Delete EVERYTHING in the WORKSHOP folder.

Then DELETE the Folder called 'cache' in C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/

Restart NS2 - Join a Vanilla server with NO MODS like YoClan.co.uk (148.251.50.39:27016 or 148.251.50.39:27036)

If that doesnt help, follow my Full Nuke from Orbit Guide.

See how you get on.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    I had some crashes with the multithreaded physics turned on. Turning it off seemed to clear up the crashing.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    @Obraxis, mb you can make a temp sticky thread about Video tips (and other bugs(?)) for build 267, cuz someone said that there will not be a hot-fix for that. But all new NS2 installations/reinstallations have that option turned ON by default. People can keep "spamming" about it...
  • BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    edited August 2014
    All hints are off for, oh, I don't know, forever, did as @Obraxis advised, still crash, nuked, reinstalled, still crashing. I can see no pattern, sometimes it's okay for an hour, sometimes I can't play 10 minutes. Doesn't matter if I command or run around on the field.
    Btw, I of course did read in the forums if there is a workaround, but neither hints off nor mt off nor changing resolution helped. Seems I have the same issue as Heisenberg and Conker_au.
    Wish I could specifiy some reason, but it just goes boom without saying why :/
    (Also, since I clicked "cancel" on the debug once, I can't start techsupport.exe with NS2 still hanging, it's just "Hello Desktop, Steam synching" immediately now.)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You dont need NS2 open or reproduce the bug for techsupport.exe. It just gathers all kind of data, settings and logs and dumps it in a zip.
    Since I can reliable crash within 2 hours, is there something I can do to help track the issue down?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Any error messages, logs or crashdumps @BishopC ?
    edited August 2014
    Okay, I might need help with this. I get a window called "Debug report" saying "The application has encountered a fatal error" (I don't get this with every crash btw., sometimes its just Hello Desktop), and claiming it created 2 files, log.txt and minidump.dmp. The minidump is not in the windows/minidump folder and can't be viewed with the view button. I guess the dmp file might contain information that would help. But it is either not created or I can't find it.

Anyone has an idea?

I will move the NS2 installation to another hard drive, someone on a server suggested this might be a problem. At this point I am willing to try.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    the minidump should be one send to uwe (if send) rather then MS if you have the menu I think you have.
    perhaps the minidump is then in either your profile, ns2 folder or steam folder. Steam also can contain its own minidump files.

Would you care to test a new theory of mine?
    * How big is your pagefile & memory?
    * Can you grab process explorer from www.sysinternals.com, and in the graphs systemwide look at the commit memory column? I suspect you may hit a limit there if the pagefile is to small, then again it may be a dead end.

I dont experience the problem so im just guessing. :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    When NS2 crashes and the process is still open (even if the window is black) run techsupport.exe located in your ns2 folder.
    This will create a smaller dump file in a techsupport.zip for the devs to look over.
    Upload it to Dropbox or somewhere and link it here, it will be a large file.
    Thanks
    Still crashing a lot, but NS2 closes completely immediately . So I guess starting techsupport.exe without the process being in memory is a waste of time. :(
    edited August 2014
    Okay, I got one crash where NS2 didnt close immediately and saved a techsupport.zip with a 1.3 GB dump in it. Since I sometimes crash without any error message, sometimes with sound looping, sometimes without, I am unsure if this is the only kind of crash I am experiencing.

Moving the NS2 installation to another drive didn't help.

btw. @DC_Darkling I have 8 GB RAM and 8GB page file. Also a AMD Phenom CPU and a Radeon graphics card. I am trying to monitor the system memory during play, and will post if I find anything. So far I have about 4 GB of RAM free when playing, so I don't think too little memory is the culprit.

Anyways, here is my new dump file, same link, new file:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lorsvexvtei2hzm/tech_support.zip

Good luck to the CDT in finding the bug, I know bug tracking is like the hardest and most annoying part of coding. I envy you not. I think doing this for free out of good will is one tremendously nice thing, so kudos from me.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for your dump, passed it onto the programmers.
    @BishopC After looking at your crash dump, you are experiencing a known issue, which is fixed in 268.

Also be careful, the server you were playing on when you crashed uses a TON of extra mods, models and lua code and seems to have caused a lua issue in your logs with NS2+.
    That's very good news! Thanks a lot. Yeah, was pretty late, no other server available.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Are you still experiencing any issues?
    @IronHorse: No, with 268 the crashes have gone away. Good job! Are you allowed to let us know what caused them?
    @BishopC‌
    I actually don't know the technical details of the culprit so i'll just say micro unicorns bouncing around in the code, poking holes in everything.
  • Klix16Klix16 Holland Join Date: 2014-10-28 Member: 199177Members
    I found a fix that helped me with the debug report it had too do something with the mods with me i shared the game with another account of me andthen runned ns2 and that helped me