Underused or bad things in NS2 , from my experiencee in non competitive

2»

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I am still waiting for secondary weapon attacks that were promised during development, but obviously forgotten.

Rifle bash is in the game, but it is quite useless in the current form.

Babblers are still quite useless too.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rifle bash is great for finishing off skulks that you know are low, but have made it within bite range of you - often easier to spank him with the slightly larger hitbox than get 3 pinpoint bullets in
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss shade hive being used more often. In like 500 hours of hameplay i've seen it being used as first hive like 5 times. The rest, predictable speed and then carapace and shade at the end where it doesn't matter anymore.

Silence and invisibility is a deathtrap to the marines and their progression can be slowed down significantly. But since hardly ever shade is being used, people don't even know how to play with this hive upgrades. Not even the basics like don't move your mouse around when invisible and stay in the shadows to avoid "shade" visibility to trained marine eyes.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i actually like aura much more than camo. it seems more reliable as it does not depend on the marines overlooking me and it is awesomely great for scouting for the team. it also increases survivability and possibility of harassing a lot because you can often avoid fighting outnumbered or when injured.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rifle bash is great for finishing off skulks that you know are low, but have made it within bite range of you - often easier to spank him with the slightly larger hitbox than get 3 pinpoint bullets in
    Riflebutt is 20 dmg.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Riflebutt is 20 dmg.

2*

Nothing gets past you Santa ;)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

Is rifle bash's range shorter than bite?

I always thought bash was useless =P, might try it out soon.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    i actually like aura much more than camo. it seems more reliable as it does not depend on the marines overlooking me and it is awesomely great for scouting for the team. it also increases survivability and possibility of harassing a lot because you can often avoid fighting outnumbered or when injured.

That's because when I command and choose shade hive first I expect a team to yell at me with resistance and give up even faster then the already "at first signs of loss; concede" unwritten rule. Although drifting hallucinations is very rewarding at the start of the round, as is shading veils in the hive preventing a wanderer to destroy upgrades.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    KKyle wrote: »
    Although drifting hallucinations is very rewarding at the start of the round, as is shading veils in the hive preventing a wanderer to destroy upgrades.
    How is shading upgrades tied to a Shade hive start? The only difference a Shade hive makes is that you can also use Ink, which isn't too useful to protect upgrades either.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    This is one of my favourite things to do, when not playing seriously. But since i cant disagree AND agree, i'll just say, it's always a better option to shoot than try to riflebash those skulks. It's nothing but a humiliating tool at the moment.
    Yeah I was thinking about that last night and I'd like to say I realise it IS probably a better idea to shoot :P
    But those times you run out of ammo just as the skulk is inches from your face? Yeah those are the times.

Also it's humiliating :D SPANK SPANK

• DCMAKERDCMAKER Join Date: 2014-09-02 Member: 198219Members
    i think welding to death is better but yea still embarassing
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Yeah I was thinking about that last night and I'd like to say I realise it IS probably a better idea to shoot :P
    But those times you run out of ammo just as the skulk is inches from your face? Yeah those are the times.

Yeah i know, i have to stop myself from trying to get the kills cause i end up dying cause of random misses with the bash even though i have more than half a clip left. I've had too many occasions where i hit 2-3 bashes and they don't die though, it's either bad math or just too eager to bash. Once you bash you never go back. :)

Thanks for the disagree Santa, haha.

• KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    edited September 2014
    KKyle wrote: »
    That's because when I command and choose shade hive first I expect a team to yell at me with resistance and give up even faster then the already "at first signs of loss; concede" unwritten rule. Although drifting hallucinations is very rewarding at the start of the round, as is shading veils in the hive preventing a wanderer to destroy upgrades.

Chose shade as the first hive upgrade today and everything went a okay. Although the typical Warehouse spawn on tram for the alien team results in harassment of ore & platform, tactical use of Hallucination provided many successful taking out of groups.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    coolitic wrote: »

Is rifle bash's range shorter than bite?

I always thought bash was useless =P, might try it out soon.

It is. Rifle bash range is a little lower than the axe. It also works better when crouched (or tapping crouch+rifle bash).
    Ots wrote: »

Yeah i know, i have to stop myself from trying to get the kills cause i end up dying cause of random misses with the bash even though i have more than half a clip left. I've had too many occasions where i hit 2-3 bashes and they don't die though, it's either bad math or just too eager to bash. Once you bash you never go back. :)

Thanks for the disagree Santa, haha.
    I do exactly the same :P
    And then wish I'd just whipped my axe out because its even more humilating and even easier to kill with :P
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why you don't see shade hive is because if the opposing team counters it properly such as moving in groups, building observatories, scanning before moving into a room, etc then you're basically playing with zero upgrades early game and putting yourself at a tech disadvantage later on. Only aura isn't really countered but there's a much better ability called parasite which provides you with enough info early game. Aura is only really applicable at higher levels for lerks and fades to avoid traps and pinches. Hallucination is pretty powerful but requires heavy pack play (usually hard to pull off in pubs) which may expose your RTs more.

Crag and shift are simply more flexible and don't have direct, natural counters to them. Shade is at best, insanely OP but very dependent on the skill-level of your team and the opposite team, very powerful but easy to counter. How do you buff shade hive without drastically overhauling it? I have no idea.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've found that the silence portion of phantom makes it very easy to pick off one or two marines from groups before the others start firing, making it equally good as the camo portion.

IMO the biggest fail of shade hive is only the shade's ability (ink), and I have no idea what could be a useful replacement.

This could just be part of the average skill of public play though.
    I dunno, ink is okayyyy (though I guess, only OK) for make marines trip the **** out, especially when combined with rupture. Its more just that you dont often put shades in forward positions and then use ink, because that usually just results in marines focusing down your shade at any cost :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    rifle bash is VERY useful in its own way.

* takes less time to bash with the weapon you have, then to swap for another like the pistol or axe.
    * faster then reload.
    * nice in skulk teams. Bash the first skulks last health to death and leave enough bullets in your clip to perforate skulk number 2. (so basicly you do not empty your clip in skulk one if he is that close, as skulk 2 gets you on the reload)
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    With shade hive, I personally love playing leap skulk with silence. Just so fun to run around full speed and still sneak up on people.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Silence is great, but when I play with a certain skill of players silence seems to be near pointless. Some marines have eyes on the back of their head it seems.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    james888 wrote: »
    Silence is great, but when I play with a certain skill of players silence seems to be near pointless. Some marines have eyes on the back of their head it seems.

FOV OVER 9000!!!!!!!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    Silence helps "cloak" numbers. One skulk with aura + 4 with silence? You only hear that one skulk.
    #Metagame.