Low res! Why?

DonSmittyDonSmitty Canada Join Date: 2015-07-17 Member: 206223Members
It seems that whether I choose recommended graphic settings or highest, I still keep getting low res textures all throughout the game. Occasionally It turns out fine even though I've done nothing different. Why is this? Will we be able to choose our own settings in the near future? I find it hard to really stay immersed when facing a low res computer screen or blurry textures on the sea floor.

Comments

• Tim_StahelTim_Stahel Sweden Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203942Members
    Press F3 and F8, then select a texture quality higher than the current one. Since the game selects 3 for me and 4 totally lags me out, i'd guess it selects it based on GPU memory or the GPU itself.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    @IronHorse Had this issue for a while too, not sure what you guys did to get this to happen or if he found a fix but as @Tim_Stahel says, you can change it in game. It would help if you post DXDIAG output so we can compare with Ironhorse's. I believe he is running a 970. Who manufactured your card? are you forcing minimum textures in the tool? stuff like that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I have not found a fix for it.. i've tried reinstalling, all back to default settings etc.

Every time i have to load the game in low res, then when im in hit f3 (or f1?) and change the resolution again and wait .. sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't.
  • DonSmittyDonSmitty Canada Join Date: 2015-07-17 Member: 206223Members
    I discovered not too long after posting about the f3 settings. I was able to switch it back to 4 with no problems. I just wish I didn't have to. A little annoying is all, but at the end of the day, it's not a game breaker.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    That's very weird indeed. I wonder whether it's something we messed up, or a Unity thing, or a driver issue. Please keep me informed with as much information about this as possible.