What should stop us from going down to deeper depths?

zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
edited September 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Of course pressure and hull limitations always are an argument. But wouldn't you want some extra terror from the deep? Like those concepts:

Super_Jet_Streams_from_PAT.png

Unknowncreature.jpg

Or rather have it simple? What's your opinion? Do you have other ideas?

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    To be honest I would have thought the larger creatures would reside in the upper layers of the ocean, not the deep. There is not much life way down deep so what would these huge creatures feed on if they were all down there?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    What the hell kind of question is this?

"Would you rather there be nothing for a significant portion of the game, or would you rather there be a game down there?"
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    To be honest I would have thought the larger creatures would reside in the upper layers of the ocean, not the deep. There is not much life way down deep so what would these huge creatures feed on if they were all down there?

Although sperm whales on earth dive about 2000-3000m deep hunting for squids down there being their main food source, so I guess most of the time they spend travelling up and down, as they have to breathe. But I assume you prefer the big beasts to be rather in the outer parts of the map, where the sea is that deep.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members

"Would you rather there be nothing for a significant portion of the game, or would you rather there be a game down there?"

I thought I was asking for things that happen at the bottom edge of the game. Not exactly that there shouldn't be anything down there.

The question would be if fish in the deep should get smaller or bigger, less dangerous or more dangerous, the deeper you dive?

If the fish and dangers get less and only the pressure gets more, you should answer number 1.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    zetachron wrote: »

I thought I was asking for things that happen at the bottom edge of the game. Not exactly that there shouldn't be anything down there.

The question would be if fish in the deep should get smaller or bigger, less dangerous or more dangerous, the deeper you dive?

If the fish and dangers get less and only the pressure gets more, you should answer number 1.

There will be dangers of all shapes and sizes everywhere we go in the ocean, no matter how deep or shallow.

Because the Devs, for some reason, wanted to make a "peaceful" game with a 80/20 split of hostile/peaceful creatures
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    zetachron wrote: »

Although sperm whales on earth dive about 2000-3000m deep hunting for squids down there being their main food source, so I guess most of the time they spend travelling up and down, as they have to breathe. But I assume you prefer the big beasts to be rather in the outer parts of the map, where the sea is that deep.

Yeah, like all those HUGE whales you run into in the mariana trench. Sorry for my sarcasm, but at the greatest of depths you don't usually find things that big.
    (Then again, I'm not sure what's in the water here for things to grow that big anyway.)
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members

Thats an outdated conclusion - there is very much life deep down! The legendary giant squid has its habitat at the abyssal zone (under 4000 meters or about 13000 feet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssal_zone
    edited September 2015
    Marut wrote: »
    Yeah, like all those HUGE whales you run into in the mariana trench. Sorry for my sarcasm, but at the greatest of depths you don't usually find things that big.
    (Then again, I'm not sure what's in the water here for things to grow that big anyway.)

Have you ever heard about "the bloop sound"?

And are even giant squids not big enough to say, there are huge animals in great depths?
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Besides, we've barely explored all of our oceans. Who's to say there aren't giant krakens deep under our seas. The same could be said for Subnautica
    Bloop wrote: »
    Marut wrote: »

Have you ever heard about "the bloop sound"?

And are even giant squids not big enough to say, there are huge animals in great depths?

Yeah I have. And those might as well be an earthquake or something. Aside from that I still prefer solid reasoning; and mine was that the same way a submarine can collapse under pressure it would be extremely difficult for large creatures to be able to survive at such depths, let alone find food. There isn't a lot of light that goes all the way down there, so the amount of life simply is more limited than in shallower seas.
    (talking 5-6 Kilometer + here)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I've heard those bloop sounds too and I honestly don't think they belong to any type of creature. I think people are just hearing what they want to hear.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members

A realistic game isn't the greatest you know. That's why we play video games for the most part i think. Realistic mechanics can be great, but only if they are not annoying for the player.

And giving too much importance to Depth, Pressure in a realistic way would be ( i think ) a pain in the ass.

With great depths always comes the unknown. If there is nothing down there then all my dreams will disappear ! And it'd be boring.
    edited September 2015
    Fair enough, I concur.
    So what KIND of monsters do we want down there?
    Kinda liked an idea that came along a few days ago of a single-cell-biome, where the entire biome would attack you.
    edited September 2015
    I've heard those bloop sounds too and I honestly don't think they belong to any type of creature. I think people are just hearing what they want to hear.

It was no subjective conclusion that the sound was made by a huge animal - it was statet by officials/scientists due to its characteristic frequency signature!

It doesn't matter what we "believe" what could be down there or not - There is a lack of knowledge because of the insufficient exploration of the abyssal planes. We have to agree that nobody really knows WHAT lives even in the great depths of our oceans on earth! How could we claim then that it wouldn't be realistic if huge creatures lurk in the depth of subnautica?

It was no subjective conclusion that the sound was made by a huge animal - it was statet by officials/scientists due to its characteristic frequency signature!

It doesn't matter what we "believe" what could be down there or not - There is a lack of knowledge because of the insufficient exploration of the abyssal planes. We have to agree that nobody really knows WHAT lives even in the great depths of our oceans on earth! How could we claim then that it wouldn't be realistic if huge creatures lurk in the depth of subnautica?

Cuz pressure, but let's finish that debate. Hardly a place for that any longer in the suggestions tab, even if I started it myself~
    pressure from the outside - counter pressure from inside the body (filled with water of the same pressure) is the solution! do you feel the tons of air pressure on your body? no because of the same pressure from inside your body against it! :-) that principle works everywhere - even in the deepest oceans!
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I for one think we should have to deal with the extreme heat & pressure (subs, pressure suit, later on the exosuit for even harsher environments) and deadly flora/fauna (which don't have to be enormous, giant tube worms near black smokers are 7.5 meters long after all--knowing this game they would be carnivores :smile:). And as several have pointed out, there are a few known deep sea giants, plus we really don't know much about what lives down there. We do know life, even big life, doesn't need light, which goes down to 1% at 200 meter, not 350-400 meters as in this game, but I'm willing to ignore that for all the fun it lets us have. That's ignoring the "magical" ambient rays of light (not the cool bioluminescence) in the Grand Reef.

On that note I hope they make the smokers as hot as real smokers. Currently they are a chilly 65 C (149 F), when they really range from 60-464 C (140-867 F) in real life! Now that would make building a deep sea base using thermal power more interesting, especially if you needed special materials for your base to withstand being in such hot water. And obviously the player should be hurt by even 65 C (149 F) without special protection.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Personally, I've always thought that Subnautica is a game that needs something just downright ridiculous. Take a look at my model for a Primal Leviathan, that's the type of thing I want to see. But not just deep, like WAY deep. Beyond 20km deep.
    The_Shark wrote: »
    Personally, I've always thought that Subnautica is a game that needs something just downright ridiculous. Take a look at my model for a Primal Leviathan, that's the type of thing I want to see. But not just deep, like WAY deep. Beyond 20km deep.

Damn, this planet is pretty alien then, because our deepest ocean "only" goes down to almost 11km at the Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench. Not to mention an explanation for how such a massive creature makes a living so deep, assuming it's even biologically possible for any animal to survive at such incredible pressure.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited September 2015
    The sub being swallowed? Seriously?

I've already gone over this on other threads - the mega fauna can't get much bigger than it's already projected to be due to the energy such creatures would need to sustain themselves.

Let's use the "alien biology" argument... even then said creatures wouldn't have evolved to consume large prey. Blue whales eat some of the smallest invertebrates on Earth. If these creatures needed energy they'd have to derive it from something with incredible energy density - far beyond that of contemporary biology. I just can't see it happening...

The Warper might get it's energy from super-bacteria, or the ability to derive energy from higher plane of existence, but that doesn't involve being super large, or eating large prey items. Sometime people just take wishful thinking too far...

However, I have entertained this idea before. I even helped hash out the plausibility of mega-creatures on this thread.

It is technically possible, but not in the way may players might imagine. Also, there an numerous difficulties with implementing it.
    Sojo wrote: »

Damn, this planet is pretty alien then, because our deepest ocean "only" goes down to almost 11km at the Challenger Deep in the Marianas Trench. Not to mention an explanation for how such a massive creature makes a living so deep, assuming it's even biologically possible for any animal to survive at such incredible pressure.

Huge pressure + Huge counter pressure (from inside the body) = equilibrium of forces ---> solution!

Sojo wrote: »

Huge pressure + Huge counter pressure (from inside the body) = equilibrium of forces ---> solution

I'm not a biologist, so for all I know that is all it takes, but it's still gotta eat. I do know that the abyssal plain (where we find most or all our cool "alien" transparent, bio-luminescent animals), on Earth at least, is "only" between 4 and 6km down so I think we should keep these sorts of things in mind when determining how deep the game should go and what should be found there. In fact, I just checked, and the only life so far found deeper, like near 11km in the Marianas Trench is all very small (normal sized sea cucumbers, shrimp, worms, etc).

Besides the game mechanics involved (mainly how long it would take you to descend), there's a reason it's called science-fiction, so I think it's good to keep things reasonable. I think that adds to immersion and, given the kind of game this is shaping up to be in my opinion, therefore to fun. I want the world to at least seem plausible, even if I have to suspend my disbelief sometimes to enjoy the game.