Suggestion: Escape pod supplies

2»

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    So I'm sensing a few divergences in the way the game has taken shape from when this was originally posted.

I will be highlighting my main concerns below.
    LumpN wrote: »
    The point I'm trying to make is Subnautica should not be a survival game in the sense of constantly impending doom in the first place.

SO HOW BOUT WE HAVE FEWER HOSTILE CREATURES YA BASTARDS
    Y'all make a point of making a "peaceful" "pacifist" game when 90% of the life on the planet wants to make us lunch on first sight.

I get that it's still in alpha but they're fuckin everywhere m8.
    In massive numbers. You can't even go into the Red Plains/Grassy Plateaus, which was one of my favorite biomes, without gettin swarmed by biters, charged by Bone Sharks, and shot at by Spike Plants. It's ridiculous m8. How're we supposed to go and test things if you put a wall of sharks in the way?
    Beautiful, wonderful, mysterious, dangerous, but kind and forgiving.

What the hell you tryin to pull on us m8? There's nothin kind about Bone Sharks in erry biome beyond the Kelp Forests.

Chill out with the damn hostile creatures.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    I understand your point and might even second it. However I'm not the only one on the team and my opinion on what Subnautica should be like is solely my own and does not represent the opinion of the company, the team, or anyone else really. Granted, I'm very much on the "peaceful" end of the spectrum but there are other opinions.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    TerraBlade wrote: »
    The only frustrating thing I really find on the survival aspect is that there isn't currently a way to make supply gathering self sufficient on a base. Fix that, and I don't see there being an issue.
    Precisely. Very good suggestions in here.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    On the number of hostiles I would suggest that you have a difficulty selection system that is available for all of the games. This would allow for hard setting to be the current settings easy to remove everything that is bigger than or more dangerous than the stalkers, medium has more of the hostile creatures but nothing like the reapers, then hard as I said, and death trap would have a few more reapers and even more of the bigger hostiles.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Have you checked the Wiki for the answer?
  • CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    Personally, I love the survival mode of Subnautica. While constantly farming food and water is a pain, it feels like I'm on the edge of civilization trying to stay alive. That being said, the mechanics needs some real attention. Once you have a real base up and running, collecting (and treating) seawater into potable water should be a no-brainer. Some sort of automated collection device/still and storage should be available to build. While the stillsuit is useful, it really comes up short and should be upgradable.
    The aquariums are a great way of having a living 'pantry', but you need to be able to combine meat/vegetables to make better food combinations (last longer, more impact) so that you don't need to fill 1/2 your inventory with food just to make sure you don't starve when scouting.
    In posts in the Ideas and Suggestion area, I've mentioned making 'nutrient packs' from a kitchen unit, which would attach directly to the suit and maintain hunger/hydration for longer a duration. The game mechanics feel like they fall apart when you've advanced so far in so many other aspects (using a fully upgraded SeaMoth for exploring instead of just swimming around, or using the Cyclops as a mobile storage base for resource gathering instead of trying to carry everything you find in your suit inventory) and still be stuck swimming after food every 20 minutes instead of intelligently farming it automatically or having a way to preserve it in bulk when you need it.
  • GryphorimGryphorim South of the Reef Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207864Members
    Perhaps the nutrient blocks obtainable from the aurora could, by their compact nature, be stackable up to 4 blocks per inventory space, and give 25 food each. (purpose being 1 inventory space gives full nourishment.)
    Also, near end level, we should be able to craft these at a foodstation at the base, comprised of maybe fishmeal and some form of local vegetable.
    Mid level foods such as the above "nutrient pack", bulky but very nourishing, made of meat and vegetable, are an idea I support.
    I don't know about attaching to the suit, but I think there should be either automatic consumption of food and water when piloting the seamoth/exosuit, or a way to access our inventory from the pilot's seat.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Gryphorim wrote: »
    I don't know about attaching to the suit, but I think there should be either automatic consumption of food and water when piloting the seamoth/exosuit, or a way to access our inventory from the pilot's seat.

Maybe something like a "Life Support" power armor suit that can keep you fed with like a special nutrient paste you have to craft and load it with.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    edited September 2015
    Gryphorim wrote: »

Maybe something like a "Life Support" power armor suit that can keep you fed with like a special nutrient paste you have to craft and load it with.

The thing is food really is trivial, especially with the heat blade. It's the water that drags me down constantly. Heat blade + stasis rifle means, "let me zap this fishie for a quick snack". I'm never all that worried about food. It's water and a steady supply of it that drains my resources since water drains around 1.5x - 2x the rate of hunger (which both seem to drain faster if you are injured). While I'm all for slowing down and making food carrying easier, it's water that I find to be the main constant threat of survival (ironically).

Farming was a thing in ancient times simply because while it didn't make survival easy it made it easier and still required upkeep. Just not as much as constantly foraging did. Heck that new survival movie on MARS showcases farming. So having farming even on an aquatic world can be a thing, fish farming IS a thing as well as desalination plants. Should it be quick and not take much room? No, but it would be a great way to add more base rooms, improve game quality of life, and just be a great reward for getting a base up and running.
    Beautiful, wonderful, mysterious, dangerous, but kind and forgiving.

What the hell you tryin to pull on us m8? There's nothin kind about Bone Sharks in erry biome beyond the Kelp Forests.

Life is very very beautiful, it is also quite deadly. Animals are territorial, aggressive, protective, and all the things humans can be as well with unique personalities. So I have no issue with their being aggressive fauna. Especially since bone sharks and stalkers can be easily dodged/managed by simply keeping aware of your surroundings and keeping an ear out. Biters are what usually get me, but that is simply because as of yet there is no audio cue as to their presence or current stance of attacking you. I just find if I keep a close eye out and my stasis rifle ready they aren't to bad to deal with.

That said I do hope to see more non-aggressive fauna too in the ocean. But while this isn't a 'pure' survival game I don't mind having to respect nature. Even local hunters here in Wyoming the (supposed) cowboy state where (supposedly) everyone is carrying still have to keep aware that nature can quickly turn the tables on them if they are not careful. I would expect no less of being suddenly thrust into an alien ocean with new and queer ecosystems to contend with.
    paradine wrote: »
    I have 6 torpedoes but can't find the torpedo module (there's not one on my upgrade console list just the torpedoes)

You must have found some magnitite before it will show up on the build module area.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While I definitely do not mind hunting for food in subnautica, as it keeps me more busy then pure exploration, I do agree the pace of it can be... tasking.

Everything baseline which you NEED (like food) should at first be a tad harsh, then with upgrade you can make be easier. That the mats I need for said upgrade (like fish farms) are hard to get.. fine.
    Aka, make the needed stuff easy, make the non needed but fun to have stuff harder.

I do agree wildlife is a big overdoing it atm.
    if I would punch a shark in the face, it would probably go look for something else. I would expect subnautica wildlife to have similar precautions to go for the easy food, rather then the food which fights back.
    Also, am I the only one questioning the long term food chain? At game start we see many peepers and other fish which quickly become decimated by both us and stalkers. So far I know no new ones spawn, so it becomes more and more empty.
    Not only that but if I need to eat THIS much on peepers ever time, I would seriously consider to see if that stalker close by isnt a bigger edible foodsource.
    They should set the food/water settings so you need 40 food and 80 water per day cycle. By having everything set to the day cycle then they can have the day cycle act as the game speed.
  • njs7t3njs7t3 Austria Join Date: 2015-09-21 Member: 208070Members
    Yes to the water thing. Also find it a little ridiculous that there's nothing in the first aid kit box on the wall in the escape pod.
  • Thor11011Thor11011 southampton Join Date: 2015-09-24 Member: 208130Members
    edited September 2015
    Sounds to me like you just suck at games... Get a thermo blade and those bone sharks go running.

It's an ocean, it's full of hostile creatures, that's life...

I have never come across anymore than say 2 or 3 sharks at a time, be they stalkers or bonesharks.

Also what you are forgetting is this is early access...

Personally I want to see more hostile creatures and more hostile interactions from the creatures, such as being dragged down into the depths by sharks and or other creatures.

As for the peaceful creatures, sure thing, they are nice and peaceful to observe and generally a lot of them look pretty damn cool, but those Sea Treaders just look stupid in my opinion.

But that's just me, I think this forum needs less whinging and more bug-testing.

The only thing I am inclined to agree on is the biters, there are usually quite a lot of them together and they can inflict some serious damage, but it seems to me like they are working as they should be, the only thing I could hope for is a better way to kill them, say to have them latch onto you and you pull them off, as taking them on with a knife is not so easy.

Also there is one creature the name of which I do not know, but they appear to be purely defensive, they flare up as you approach them or try to hurt them and can do some serious damage, it appears you cannot pick them up, same goes for those wierd hopping things.

Thor11011