Giant Plants

LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
So, we got giant sea creatures? What about giant plants? Thoughts?

Bit of a mockup, one of these giant sea plants, you can enter and explore the 'flower parts' and get some materials for some of dat loot... or farming stuff?

7RmLKas.png

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I think it's a nice idea give it a try!
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    you mean like the huge mushroom tree inside the mushroom forest because that is supposed to be one plant (all the mushrooms are supposed to be connected as one organism)
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    +1 for plants. nice mockup too!

how about if the plant can close itself, trying to digest you? only if you mess up by triggering this though. it should still be possible to escape somehow, too.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The Jelly Shrooms are also giant plants.
    Creepvine stalks can get pretty massive.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    Some Pacific islands have trees and plants that have grown two or three times as large as they're supposed to due to radioactive fallout from nuclear testing. A similar effect could be seen in Subnautica thanks to the crashed Aurora; maybe it could happen after a certain amount of days? That reminds me, date should play a factor in Subnautica since there's already a day and night cycle.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I think we only have a single giant plant so far, creepvine, which presumably like green kelp on Earth is a kind of green algae, the only kind of algae considered a plant, and is just suggesting more giant plants in the game, which I think would be awesome. Even the "blood kelp", which given the "blood" in its name, could be another plant-like animal for all we know and not a plant. If it isn't an animal though, since it isn't photosynthetic (lives in darkness), it must logically be a kind another kind of algae, so not a plant (only green algae is a plant, the others are their own groups).

For the record, I believe the "mushroom trees" are actually giant coral since they look like coral up close, and thus sessile animals probably surviving on filter feeding. If it is a clonal colony, each "tree" could be considered one organism, but then like aspen pines in real life, maybe the whole forest is one organism! Also, I always assumed the mushroom shaped organisms in the Jelly Shroom Caves were animals since they look and move like cnidarians (jelly fish and kin). In fact, I think the devs are hinting at this with the "jelly" part of the biome's name.

So basically in this game, we have lots of animals, lots of animals that look like plants or non-plant algae, and then actual plants, all but one of which are small, so far. I would love not only more large plants, but carnivorous ones too. In real life, there are about two dozen such species, some of which are aquatic, so it wouldn't be far fetched.
    Mr357 wrote: »
    Some Pacific islands have trees and plants that have grown two or three times as large as they're supposed to due to radioactive fallout from nuclear testing. A similar effect could be seen in Subnautica thanks to the crashed Aurora; maybe it could happen after a certain amount of days? That reminds me, date should play a factor in Subnautica since there's already a day and night cycle.

I think that is a great idea, but I think that would take years to see major change, but who knows how radiation from dark matter engines works, as in it very much depends on what kind of radiation it is. Honestly though, I doubt they will name it as that would tie their hands creatively speaking; best to not specify and let it do whatever magic stuff they want :wink:.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    you mean like the huge mushroom tree inside the mushroom forest because that is supposed to be one plant (all the mushrooms are supposed to be connected as one organism)
    It's more of a chunk of coral, not a plant.

Jelly shrooms are in all probability, well, jellyfish above anything else. Or actually rather a sea anemone. Long story short (and I forgot the english term for the genus <.<): it's an animal, not a plant.

Do like this idea though. Like it very much, and it'd be logical in such a huge ocean with probably great amounts of oxygen in the water.
    The term you seek, Marut, is cnidarian. I used it in my post just before your's where I said much the same you just did :wink:.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Mr357 wrote: »

Hmmmm.....
    *leaves carnivorous plant collection there*
    Now all I have to do is wait..
    Mwahahaha!
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Sojo wrote: »
    The term you seek, Marut, is cnidarian. I used it in my post just before your's where I said much the same you just did :wink:.

Right, thanks. Didn't spot it in my sleep-drunk stupor.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

Not giant enough for me!!

Yea, giant plants would be neat, thinking they can be used in purposes of finding the 'materials' needed to get started with farming.. Also, I like the idea of these plants able to digest at intervals (maybe you feed these plants food first (stalkers/fish etc?) then you can explore them when they are open)

Being able to swim through one of these could be a very exciting and claustrophobic experience as these plants begin to digest the diver :P
    Talking about Creepvine, I wish it tangled us and our subs up if we passed right through it, like real seaweed. Realistic environmental hazards are always good imo. If you can't power your way through it (which should tear and ruin the creepvine as if you harvested it; its resources could fall to the ground below) you should have to get out and cut your sub free, or yourself if you are subless. On that note, it would be cool if a predator lived in the creepvine itself, but only attacked the player if they got caught in it and didn't get out fast enough!
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Sojo wrote: »
    Talking about Creepvine, I wish it tangled us and our subs up if we passed right through it, like real seaweed. Realistic environmental hazards are always good imo. If you can't power your way through it (which should tear and ruin the creepvine as if you harvested it; its resources could fall to the ground below) you should have to get out and cut your sub free, or yourself if you are subless. On that note, it would be cool if a predator lived in the creepvine itself, but only attacked the player if they got caught in it and didn't get out fast enough!

Yea! I wish there were 'mimic creepvines' where the seaweed part is actually a creature and its hard to tell unless you look at the shadows subtle difference of wave