Lethal Pursue Options

bekelly423bekelly423 Boston Ma Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208618Members
I understand completely that the idea of the game will be to work in harmony with the local inhabitants of the planet, however having that option to go around violently will open up more gameplay options. Think about it; work with environment and you gain almost unending access to materials but it will be harder to achieve. Attack everything and your access to materials will slowly dissipate to nothing and the local wildlife will grow more violent towards you (seeking you out through all biomes) and food sources will always flee and be harder to harvest. The player will need to find that balance to survive. Any other thoughts on this?

Comments

• Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    This discussion ? again? Is never goin to happen. is not agains you but this topic was discussed a thousand time on this forum.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Chris1217 wrote: »
    This discussion ? again? Is never goin to happen. is not agains you but this topic was discussed a thousand time on this forum.

Actually, this particular idea is something I haven't seen before. It might use the word "lethal" in the name, but that seems to be towards the player.

I love the idea. If you think about it, it makes sense. Use too few resources, you starve to death. Too many, the entire planet turns against you. Honestly, whether the devs end up giving us the ability to defend ourselves or not, I'd love to see something like this. I love games where choices directly affect the behavior of NPCs, and this sounds just about perfect for that idea.
  • Chris1217Chris1217 Meyrin (Geneva) Join Date: 2015-10-14 Member: 208476Members
    The_Shark wrote: »

Actually, this particular idea is something I haven't seen before. It might use the word "lethal" in the name, but that seems to be towards the player.

I love the idea. If you think about it, it makes sense. Use too few resources, you starve to death. Too many, the entire planet turns against you. Honestly, whether the devs end up giving us the ability to defend ourselves or not, I'd love to see something like this. I love games where choices directly affect the behavior of NPCs, and this sounds just about perfect for that idea.

Agree but is talking about a lethal way to do that and is not goin to happen.
    edited October 2015

The player being attacked by sealife isn't going to happen?

Please, tell me more.
    edited October 2015

Please, tell me more.

it say :
    bekelly423 wrote: »
    Attack everything and your access to materials will slowly dissipate to nothing and the local wildlife will grow more violent towards you (seeking you out through all biomes) and food sources will always flee and be harder to harvest. The player will need to find that balance to survive. Any other thoughts on this?

Attacking everything is not the point of the game, thats why they create aquarium, (egg will comming soon) to have unlimited acces to the food without having to kill everything swiming around. the other resources ar fix: titanium, quartz and other minerals are easy to find. salt and water are easy to get with filtration machine and we be soon able to cultivate weed and plants, Energy? solar panel and reactor. ther is no point to start attaking every thing. Once your base its build every thing you need to survive its at hand. go and look at the "Base showroom" topic, look at the base i build in survivor mod. (ther is two set of pictur survior mod is the seconde set) i do that in a little less than 2 days and 1/2 (54h and 29min) and this base is huge. I dont need this to survive, and i only needed to use my knife to protect my self a couple of time. No need to kill, hurt them with your knife and they swim away.
    the other resources ar fix: titanium, quartz and other minerals are easy to find.

The resources are fixed... until they aren't.
    Like in real life, if you overuse your natural resources, you tend to run out.
    Then, you're screwed.
    That's the only real issue I have... After I build a four-billion-and-one ton base, and two Cyclopes, and fourteen SeaMoths, and a bunch of other stuff...
    Then what?
  • bekelly423bekelly423 Boston Ma Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208618Members
    The thing is, you can already kill the wildlife, with the knife. So a very minor killing implementation is already in place. I find myself having to pursue and eradicate a few of those violent fish in that grass biome, because I can't collect any resources when they are there in such abundance. However for each one I get rid of, I lose the harvesting of teeth for enameled glass but one.
    edited October 2015
    The thing is, you can already kill the wildlife, with the knife. So a very minor killing implementation is already in place. I find myself having to pursue and eradicate a few of those violent fish in that grass biome, because I can't collect any resources when they are there in such abundance. However for each one I get rid of, I lose the harvesting of teeth for enameled glass but one.

Thats the reason why i propose Hunting hours for predators on the game (i now i realy insiste on this one) for 2 reason.
    1: Its more realistic in real life predators have hunting hours.
    2: You dont have to kill every predators to easily harvest resources but you have to "thing". "well is dawn reapers dont hunt befor noon i should go harvesting Reaper teeth and other resources from kelp forest, it should be safe. Ok is the after noon Grassy Plateaus is safe until evening.... , etc, etc..... Different biomes as different predators and so different safe harvesting time but you have to thing what time is it and wher is it safe.

• nihilis3nihilis3 U.S Join Date: 2015-12-21 Member: 210146Members

Please, tell me more.

it say :
    Attack everything and your access to materials will slowly dissipate to nothing and the local wildlife will grow more violent towards you (seeking you out through all biomes) and food sources will always flee and be harder to harvest. The player will need to find that balance to survive. Any other thoughts on this?

Attacking everything is not the point of the game, thats why they create aquarium, (egg will comming soon) to have unlimited acces to the food without having to kill everything swiming around. the other resources ar fix: titanium, quartz and other minerals are easy to find. salt and water are easy to get with filtration machine and we be soon able to cultivate weed and plants, Energy? solar panel and reactor. ther is no point to start attaking every thing. Once your base its build every thing you need to survive its at hand. go and look at the "Base showroom" topic, look at the base i build in survivor mod. (ther is two set of pictur survior mod is the seconde set) i do that in a little less than 2 days and 1/2 (54h and 29min) and this base is huge. I dont need this to survive, and i only needed to use my knife to protect my self a couple of time. No need to kill, hurt them with your knife and they swim away.

This says it all after about a day of game play what is point you barely have to leave your base? The preditors don't act like preditors and only follow a little bit. Your no longer fighting to survive at all. This is supposed to be a wild alien planet, is it not.
    Playability goes down when you are no longer threatened or have new ways of over coming obsticals.
    Look at minecraft why does it work. Endless crafting and constant threats that actively hunt the player. Not to mention ways of actively dealing with the threat.
    Be passive if you want. But atleast have the options of being aggressive.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    Devs confirmed that we won't be getting any serious lethal weapons. Around 50% of community wants them, so it will probably be one of the first mods when the game is released.
    Well what if instead of giving us weapons how about genetic engineering combat pets? Sorta a pokemon meets spore kinda deal it might fit well with the lore not to mention keep there theme of the "player not being the one that's leathel" and adds pets. Not to mention makes you go exploring for different DNA to caft different pets.
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    I think that the current status of subnautica is good enough, and that genetic combination thing is for a different game.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    Agreed, I like it how it is. as far as weapons go, I'm thinking the best way to implement that would be only using them in an impromptu manner. Such as people mount rocket launchers to vespas, so too can you use say, a laser cutter as an impromptu laser pistol.... which loses effectiveness with range, plus runs out of charge.

Essentially, using whatever you have in a survival situation, such as using a pair of glasses to foxus the sun and start a fire when you have no other tools, little things like that. Granted you have a fabricator so you can make almost anything, but I'm sure the Aurora, a featureless, streamlined, weaponless craft, was not designed to wage war :U

As such, it would make sense that the fabricator is not "programmed" to build guns, except maybe tool guns like a fishnet launcher.
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    I like the fishnet launcher idea, catching a whole shoal of boomerangs at once would make my day!
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    6ismus wrote: »
    I like the fishnet launcher idea, catching a whole shoal of boomerangs at once would make my day!

I had a similar but much better idea in terms of usefulness, while this would be great for large groups, check out the Torsion anchor suggestion. Everything's explained there and i'd rather not drown everyone in ASCII. ( Get it? A scii? c: )
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited January 2016
    So the choices are having a hard time off the start or living like a king til the game nopes you? The second option would be especially bad for new players, the game is hard enough to get used to as is.

I can understand the wish for realism and a proper ecosystem, but i think smaller fish would need decades to integrate a new species into their survival behaviour. Peepers always run, no matter how many you've eaten so far, garrys are dumb fish consisting of stomache for the biggest part, they will always swim about not worrying about a thing in the world. Other small fish behave in a similar way. Why would a whole species start behaving different because one single human thing landed somewhere in the ocean?

As for the (presumably) more intelligent predators. Maybe a single individuum might feed a grudge on you for stabbing it where it hurts, but hunting you down? I mean, when was the last time you heard of sharks or whales hunting down fishermen because another shark/whale was killed on the other side of the planet.

I can see this only work for leviathan class creatures and that wouldn't be so bad ... but then again, that isn't really what you were pointing at.
    edited January 2016
    So the choices are having a hard time off the start or living like a king til the game nopes you? The second option would be especially bad for new players, the game is hard enough to get used to as is.

I can understand the wish for realism and a proper ecosystem, but i think smaller fish would need decades to integrate a new species into their survival behaviour. Peepers always run, no matter how many you've eaten so far, garrys are dumb fish consisting of stomache for the biggest part, they will always swim about not worrying about a thing in the world. Other small fish behave in a similar way. Why would a whole species start behaving different because one single human thing landed somewhere in the ocean?

As for the (presumably) more intelligent predators. Maybe a single individuum might feed a grudge on you for stabbing it where it hurts, but hunting you down? I mean, when was the last time you heard of sharks or whales hunting down fishermen because another shark/whale was killed on the other side of the planet.

I can see this only work for leviathan class creatures and that wouldn't be so bad ... but then again, that isn't really what you were pointing at.

also, when a foreign species is introduced into an ecosystem it can overrun it, but the REASON is why i'm mentioning it. Generally if a species sees a new one it hasn't seen before, it won't know what to do. So, for the most part it would stay the same unless you started ceaselessly slaughtering say 20 in ten minutes or something. Which is not a good thing to do, bad person, BAD! That, would trickle down as any having witnessed the event would alert their friends to run if you were nearby. However, only intelligent species of fauna should be capable of it. Even moderate intelligence.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Ruslan_DR wrote: »
    but I'm sure the Aurora, a featureless, streamlined, weaponless craft, was not designed to wage war
    This stupid meme again.

Alterra Tech would not be in the position to send ships to alien planets for entirely PR based "Terraforming" operations if they did not protect their assets.

Think about it. You're the CEO of a galaxy spanning megacorporation. You send a ship to an alien planet, with no knowledge of what lives there.
    You're going to pack that bitch with a full security detail to protect that investment should there come Space Pirates, or a mutiny, or saboteurs, or hostile alien wildlife.

I accept that we don't have weapons at the word of the developers but trying to use this stupid reason as justification is just pants-on-head retarded
  • FearlessWolfFearlessWolf United States Join Date: 2015-08-29 Member: 207573Members
    but I'm sure the Aurora, a featureless, streamlined, weaponless craft, was not designed to wage war
    This stupid meme again.

Alterra Tech would not be in the position to send ships to alien planets for entirely PR based "Terraforming" operations if they did not protect their assets.

Think about it. You're the CEO of a galaxy spanning megacorporation. You send a ship to an alien planet, with no knowledge of what lives there.
    You're going to pack that bitch with a full security detail to protect that investment should there come Space Pirates, or a mutiny, or saboteurs, or hostile alien wildlife.

I accept that we don't have weapons at the word of the developers but trying to use this stupid reason as justification is just pants-on-head retarded

I agree with this. For other people not aware of UWE's other large game, Natural Selection 2, Alterra Tech is the company that creates all of the weapons for the humans, and also created the Aurora. For something as important as expanding the human race to more planets, you'd definitely want weapons on board your space ship. They'd take that very seriously.
    This stupid meme again.

Well there's another thought then. When it explodes, you can find a cargo bay in the intact but disconnected section of the Aurora. So who's to say that the weapons storage wasn't damaged critically? Maybe none can be found, maybe just a small handful of two, three can be found out of the whole load, while the rest are fused together with other metal.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    I think you should be able to modulate the environment- set up feeders to help peeper populations boom.
    this would be the necessary balancing aspect if they were to implement lethal over-harvesting of the environment.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    What about Improvised weapons, and all this working in harmoney is so funny look at the chaos you can create with the traformer you can literally destroy the freaking world, that thing needs an upgrade to be able to restore an area to it's previous nice state plants and all.

That aside, Weapons that fit within the ethos of the game should be fine I think when people raise this others thing were asking for death rays, were not, For example how about the gravity gun if you grab a crash it suspends it and prevents it from exploding then when you shoot it it blows up on impact, both things already in the game functionality wise as well all were doing is turning it into an offensive weapon.

How about there.
    • Crash Fish + Gravity Gun = Guided Exploding Fish that goes for hits what your aiming at.
    • Diving Reel + Gravity gun = Ranged Weapon with rope for spear fishing at a distance
    • Crash Fish + Torpedo = Torpedo that goes boom rather than (what the hell it does now lol)
    • Stalker Tooth + Pipe = Spear, does more dmg than knife but still a mele weapon.
    • Gravity Gun + Floater = Thing you shoot that sticks to something and makes it float up?
    • Gravity Gun + Stinger Jelly = Damage over time effect on the target you hit?
    • Stasis Rifle + Torpedo = Torpedo's effect but shot from a stasis rifle
    • Dive Reel + Crash Fish = Anchor a crash fish in place to act as a proximity mine blows up when something hostile gets to close.

The options are endless and all of the above fit within the games narrative their not weapons of mass destruction we already have that its called a terraformer, these are improvised weapons from the tools and things we already have.