Would you like to see biome modification by the player?

terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
The aurora was sent to terraform the planet. I think it would make sense to be able to do just that. I want to do things like re-plant the kelp forest, add my favorite plants to the more barren areas, help increase populations of fish species I find useful. I want to build a cave and plant a jelly-shroom forest inside.

Perhaps the goal of the game (or side goal) would be to re-stabilize the ecosystem that has been thrown out-of-wack by the ship's crash!

Possible add-ins:
Maybe a new little robot would tell me what species of plants/fish could be introduced to the ecosystem I'm currently in. Maybe you could put that technology into a diving mask. It would help you decide what species to move where, and it would highlight the area you can plant plants when you hold them, and it would tell you when the water is too shallow or deep to sustain a certain species. What do you think? Do you want to see more terraforming?

-If yes, what types of features would you like to see? (anything I did or didn't mention)
-If maybe, would you like to see *anything* in the area of terraforming? maybe just kelp that grows back?
-If no, why?

Comments

• HumpfyGabHumpfyGab Germany Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210798Members
    Ecosystems are a komplex thing.
    There are not only plants and fish, but microbial life, eviormental qualities etc. and - most important - the relations to each other.

I would love to see more meaningfull layers of biome reseach, maintenance and restoration.
    That includes foodchains, symbiotic relations, parasitic relations, toxins, cures, species population, species procreation and species balance in an ecosystem.
    Each biome needs to have its own ecosystem with its relevant flora, fauna and relations.

Dependend on a the players actions the ecosytem could weaken and die (removing plants, corals and fish in a certain radius).
    On the other hand the player could create a lokal enviorment that favors certain flora and fauna.

And then there is the Aurora crash. What impact does that have on the lokal ecoystems?

The planetary ecosystem in mind there could be unknown deseases and parasites that affect the player and make biological and medical reseach a necessaty.
    Real large scale terraforming is out of the question. After all compared with the equipment of the Aurora the player has next to nothing at his disposal. He has to understand and adapt to the enviorment to survive. And if he`s good at it he can onfluence the ecosystems.

Reseaching, monitoring and maintaining ecosystems could add a whole new layer of gameplay including the need to biuld observation bases and monitoringstations.
    This would add multiple layers of meaningful and - in my opinon - fun to play content to the game and strengthen the survivial and the exploration aspect of the game.

Now creating a system that keeps track of the players actions and changing spawns of things and so on could be teddious for the developers. I have no idea. But it would be brilliant to see somethng like this.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    I use it a lot, but I actually think the current terraformer is far to powerful, the dev's make this amazing looking map and then we go and ruin it with big globular builds that look like a string of tennis balls of sand, its horrid looking.

I think it needs an upgrade that allows it to warp time and restore the target area to it's former pristine condition so we can undo all the stupid dum shit weve done with it.
  • PeterManizePeterManize Pandolite Join Date: 2015-12-28 Member: 210458Members
    edited January 2016
    So most of the people just wants to make a "farm"?

I will be honest to everyone in my comment and opinion here. So i will be as more offensive has i can, you have been warned.
    + Let me add if anyone comments "raging" and "hating" about my spoilers you just brought that to yourself, i am not the one at fault here.
    - What you think you are playing? A survival, sandbox, crafting game?
    - - Wrong! You are playing a Survival, sandbox, crafting and an EXPLORATION game.

Now think a bit. If Farming gets implemented. what will happen?
    - The exploration part is dead, you will stay in your safe spot till the end of your days, or maybe till you get bored and stop playing the game.
    - - Besides that everyone will come to the forums complain that the game is dead there is nothing to do! Well yeah... you just assured your survival by staying in your "safe place" waiting for your farm to grow. Being bored is diferent from the game being "dead" - I actually witness lots of complains in other survival games that have this mechanic, and are not exploration games.

You think that's survival? let me laugh at you it is ridiculous.
    You should farm in real life, no really its the most boring thing you will ever do! Unless you are like me and find pleasure in boredoom.
    All survival games have the farming mechanism and are exaggerated (for example a potato ingame grows in 2 days - how many people believe this? - It takes almost 3 months to actually get a fully formed and ready to eat potato, basically you would die in the mean time)

But i am drifting apart, now.

But everyone forgets another big part of the game! how is this possible is beyond me... you are in a alien world!
    You don't know nothing about this ecosystem!
    If everyone picture themselves in an alien planet, how would you survive, (if you could survive in the first place?) you would put anything in your mouth and wait for the better? and then think "oh hey i can probably farm these alien Kokonuts" sure...

Adding Farm to an EXPLORATION game is like putting a bullet on your head, you are dead afterwards.

Now that it is out of the system, and i have calmed down a bit.
    I do see a good point here that i can actually support. Wildflora in game. Adding a few more plants to the game would be nice. My big suggestion is adding a plant that can be harvested and it could give Silicone,
    No farming involved, damit
    that would be used to make silicone rubber, at least it would nerf down the quartz requirements in the recipes.

In terms of terraformation, the only tool to do that seems useful and unique and it should remain that way. But i guess it could have more options to everyone's liking.
    - Just have a hard time picture it out, since i play the game in the most harmless way possible while building or even scavenging for loot, and the terraformation tool is OP it literally changes everything in just 2 clicks.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    edited January 2016
    @PeterManize i don't think the kind of farming i am talking about is the kind of farming you are criticising. I am talking about populating the barren areas, or re-populating the areas i have over-harvested. not setting up a self-sufficiency base. my goal is to re-beautify the area, not get easy food. (but as a side note unlike you i am not against base farming, because hunger and thirst gets in the way of my exploration. some people have said the hunger is a motive to explore... hunger is a terrible motive to explore. there is food everywhere. yeah, sure, if your'e gonna make is so that fish don't respawn (so unrealistic...) i guess i'd be forced to explore, but anyone who is that lazy and needs to be forced to explore has no business playing this game. farming is not a way for me to be lazy or to stop exploring, it is a way for me to be able to focus on exploring instead of food) and i have to flat out respectfully disagree with you that farming would ruin the game.

@Taiphoz i also wish they would make the terraformer less ugly because it is ugly as hell.

P.S. maybe i should clarify: I'm not just suggesting farming (it's already being implemented) I'm suggesting terraforming. being able to study certain plants and animals and help those plants and animals flourish in a new environment, one that was formerly barren or thrown out-of-balance by the crash.
  • IDTiaIDTia New York Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Members
    Honestly, the world as it currently is seems just fine to live in. To change the ecosystem of (relatively) untainted planet would not really be wise, as logically, everything has grown, adapted, and survived due to the environment, and as things change, the creatures adapt, die off, or thrive more. Think of the planet like Earth, earlier in it's life, the current prehistoric era escapes me right now, but predominantly water born creatures, but all alien and glowy. To change an area to suit a species would throw off the entire balance of the ecosystem. I'd like to think that the people wanting to colonize the planet would be efficient and do as little impact as possible.
  • PeterManizePeterManize Pandolite Join Date: 2015-12-28 Member: 210458Members
    edited January 2016
    @terraformer004

Yeah i will admit that i am mixing up my perspective of farming.
    But everyone is wrong. You are wrong as well talking about simply adding the "farming mechanic" like a gift.

With no offense allow me to explain my perspective of things.

First off. It beats me that everyone is forgetting the basic rule about subnautica, that it is:

- You are in an unknown alien world, the fact that you can breath in it, is a miracle by itself.

Everyone keeps talking about what they know about the world, when they should be talking about what they shouldn't know about the world.
    No one in that specific perspective, can do anything at all. Your first dive would be suicide ~but that's going to far, :smiley: ~.

So what would you do in that situation? that's a good question.
    The game offer us a chance to survive and ensuring your survival is your first step in-game.

How do you that? ~i am really pleased with the recent update, and with the implementation of the "scanner" tool, its a step in the right direction~.
    Basically in that perspective learning your surroundings is essential and vital. The scanning tool provides information in the most basic, simplest way and in a not game breaking experience.
    Everyone noticed that every time you have a life form with you and click on the manufacturer it says "new creature discovered" that is literally the beginning of your survival experience in-game.

After that its up to the player to make its choices. Build bases, explore, search for loot ayra, ayra...

But the "farm mechanism" that you, like everyone else wants in game, should not be a given.
    I hope the devs don't implement it ~in a literal sense, like any other survival game~.

- It is going to be a game breaking experience. I gave my reasons to why and there is much more reasons that i could give, but i will not saturate you guys any longer. Its up to your perspectives if you agree, are neutral or don't agree.

I defend a much more balanced mechanic, than the farming mechanic, that would not be intrusive, nor game breaking.
    But i also keep an open mind that there is unknown perspectives and concepts about the in-game highly advanced technology that the player can have access in the future.

The question is:
    How far the developers can go in order to create new concepts, new perspectives, in a non breaking-game experience, with this highly advanced technology?

If the farm mechanic is implemented it should be available, at the very least, has a later game goal, it wouldn't be as much intrusive nor game-breaking is it would if it is available in the early stages of the game.

What i truly defend is a more balanced perspective of the game.

But if the developers make their choice and either go for the standard farming mechanic or a new concept.
    I will accept their choice because they did an amazing job, and i am confident that they will make the right choices for the game and for us all.
    Since this is a work done by them and the community. Debating is a key to make this game highly positively rated.