What's your most unused stuff in the game?

zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
Some things in the game are quite useless or I never came to find a good use for them. I wonder if others have the same useless stuff or use things differently. So post a list of your most unused stuff here. Thanx.

Mine is as follows:
- radiation gloves / glove slot (no other gloves, why not use the slot for tanks instead?)
- current generator (found a single minor use but otherwise too bulky)
- gravsphere (bulky and still hard to catch peeper, easier to get with stasis or seamoth)
- waterproof locker (4x4 too small, no real need for it)
- seamoth power efficiency / solar recharge (only need one module, recharge is too powerful)
- seamoth storage (4x4 too small, there are better uses for a slot)
- seamoth hull reinforcement (better use shock + weld fix)
- seamoth vortex torpedos (only needed to distract a large group of leviathans)
- bench (eyecandy use, maybe useful if it could shift time)
- bioreactor / nuclear reactor (pain to manage, better others + power lines, maybe use exclusive interior?)

Comments

• SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    I would point out that the power efficiency module hasn't really come into its own just yet. Several indications are pointing towards us using the seamoth for longer periods at greater depths, meaning the solar charger is going to be totally useless while the efficiency module might be an important addition.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2016
    zetachron wrote: »
    - bench (eyecandy use, maybe useful if it could shift time)
    - nuclear reactor (pain to manage, better others + power lines, maybe use exclusive interior?)

last two items I'll point out. Bench in my opinion isn't useless if your in survival you sit down on it and you don't lose hunger or hydration. Really nice to have if you need to step away from the computer for 10 minutes and don't want to die from dehydration or starvation.

Nuclear reactor... yeah... uh 1 uranium provides 1000 power over the course of it's use. That is a lot of power and you don't need to link your base if it's in a location where solar, geothermal can't be used. Also you don't need to use power transmitters.

besides those points

current generator
    gravsphere
    waterproof locker

yeah don't use these. I don't really use pipes either... though I'm sure I should. I know for a fact that developers might be planning to make use of pipes to bring in air into bases.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I would point out that the power efficiency module hasn't really come into its own just yet. Several indications are pointing towards us using the seamoth for longer periods at greater depths, meaning the solar charger is going to be totally useless while the efficiency module might be an important addition.

I've already been at the lava castle with my seamoth (4x pressure) and the inactive lava zone is the only space that actually doesn't allow to dive up to the sun. But as you can see this region needs all 4 slots for pressure for the seamoth. The next best zone would be blood kelp, but diving down and getting back to sun gives you enough time. Certainly more for the planned limited O2 use of the seamoth. So O2 use will be the depth limit for the seamoth. Going from one end of the map to the other is only a matter of moonpool recharging. In the end the seamoth might rather need an extra O2 tank module than any energy bonus module.
    last two items I'll point out. Bench in my opinion isn't useless if your in survival you sit down on it and you don't lose hunger or hydration. Really nice to have if you need to step away from the computer for 10 minutes and don't want to die from dehydration or starvation.

Nuclear reactor... yeah... uh 1 uranium provides 1000 power over the course of it's use. That is a lot of power and you don't need to link your base if it's in a location where solar, geothermal can't be used. Also you don't need to use power transmitters.

I play survival and gather food and water to store them into containers to relax when exploring early in game. Never needed this bench, but wished I could forward time to focus on day/night explorations better. And there's plenty of time to relax with advanced tech for water and food later in game.

Nuclear reactor is better to manage than 10 power cells = 1000 power, yes. But not as good as management of free power like solar or thermal. Nuclear power would be ideal to be a cyclops energy upgrade/addition or serve as a quick sea base setup in deep areas. Most deep areas though only need a few transmitter pylons to fetch energy from above or a hot source. So if someone asks me where to put nuclear power best, I'd opt for internally in the cyclops.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    edited January 2016
    on seamoth storage one ...I found it okey size after slotting two while going to scavenge metal from near aurora ... with haul I brought back need of titanium was filled for good time:) (well.. till I started expand base)

also found use for waterproof lockers in form of "dumpster storage of used up knifes", previously it was "dumpster for fragments that already had been scanned"
    raven0ak wrote: »
    on seamoth storage one ...I found it okey size after slotting two while going to scavenge metal from near aurora ... with haul I brought back need of titanium was filled for good time:) (well.. till I started expand base)

also found use for waterproof lockers in form of "dumpster storage of used up knifes", previously it was "dumpster for fragments that already had been scanned"

Forgot to think of 4x storage. Good point. The module isn't too expansive. Will test. Thanx.

"... dumpster storage ..." reminds me to ask for a waste deconstructor: I'm swimming in salt already and don't want to destroy all corals just to get rid of it. Can the game ever get that balanced that you don't want to get rid of something?
  • AbyssLightAbyssLight Guess where? Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211803Members
    Every single base-related item. I don't really like to build anything, and I spend most of my time either exploring or.....well, just observing the wildlife.
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    Flares and the diving reel for me, along with most of the things you mentioned.
    raven0ak wrote: »

Forgot to think of 4x storage. Good point. The module isn't too expansive. Will test. Thanx.

"... dumpster storage ..." reminds me to ask for a waste deconstructor: I'm swimming in salt already and don't want to destroy all corals just to get rid of it. Can the game ever get that balanced that you don't want to get rid of something?

waterpoof locker... wouldn't be so bad and I'd use it more if it was possible to recycle it once it's use is no longer needed.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited January 2016
    You mean really NO use for at the moment? Guess it was shorter the other way round, but ok:
    • Cyclops
    • First Aid Kits
    • Reinforced Dive Suit
    • Stasis Rifle
    • Thermoblade
    • Hardened Blade
    • Plasteel Tank
    • Terraformer
    • Air Bladder
    • Moonpool (after crafting what I want)
    • Dive Reel
    • Pipes
    • Flares
    • Current Generator
    • Waterproof locker
    • Graphsphere
    • Charging Finns
    • Repulsion Cannon (upgrade)
    • Laser Cutter (there's a way round)
    • Seamoth Power Efficiency Module
    • Seamoth Hull Reinforcement
    • Seamoth Torpedo System
    • Indoor Pots & Co
    • Small Aquarium
    • Water Filtration Machine
    • Bio Reactor
    • Signals
    • Signs
    • Picture Frame
    • Ingame Music
    • Blinking beacons inside the base
    • Instant Healing
    • Eating, Drinking, Healing under water
    • And "Welcome on board Captain!"

edited January 2016
    geez why not list the whole game while your at it... you just referenced about a 1/3 to 1/2 the game LOL

Sarcastic post is sarcastic
    edited January 2016
    Yea, but it's nothing but the truth. And yes, it's just me (and the current hardcore balance off course). Believe me, I'd really like to need(!) all that stuff. It's a waste, I know.

Edit/PS: Ah, and I forgot: Brainless fish
    lxh wrote: »
    You mean really NO use for at the moment? ... very long list

LOL ... you know how to hit hard ...

Seems I forgot more useless stuff than I thought. Some stuff I would consider useful:

- cyclops (if it gets better power, navigation and upgrades)
    - first aid kit & reinforced diving suit (rare use when you get caught by surprise)
    - stasis rifle (maybe you tell me how to scan a reaper leviathan or do other stunts)
    - moonpool (if they throw away solar recharge for seamoth)
    - laser cutter (when more wrecks come)
    - indoor farming (future use)
    - water filtration machine (allows to equip any suit)

Oh, and yes I hate to see blinking beacons / signals everywhere, especially inside screenshots.

Finally I have no clue, what's the use for battery driven floodlights. Maybe I could use them to guide the cyclops to the lava castle in pitch black by lining them up like airplanes get their landing lights. Unfortunately I would need a signal to sync switch them on by command from my sub. And why can't I have floating floodlights if they are battery driven? This is the future isn't it?
    edited January 2016
    stasis rifle (maybe you tell me how to scan a reaper leviathan or do other stunts)

I said: At the moment. Reapers are not scanable and the other creatures bugbears. But I agree, scanning a reaper was the first real use of the rifle. I first thought of slipping into a hole and while it's unable to nap, you scan. The prob seems to be the collision detection of its bending shape, so I'll wait for that to be fixed first ..;)

And cyclops, well atm I'm planning to recycle and rebuild my mainbase in an untouched biome to verify any impact on the ecosystem. So I'm about to create my first personal use for this sub.

Yeah, the moonpool would be real great if there wasn't the solar charger and the underwater seamoth repair service. That was a reason for building outposts with moonpools.

And the rest ... you're right. I'm looking forward to see some needs for all that stuff.

stasis rifle (maybe you tell me how to scan a reaper leviathan or do other stunts)

I said: At the moment. Reapers are not scanable and the other creatures bugbears. But I agree, scanning a reaper was the first real use of the rifle. I first thought of slipping into a hole and while it's unable to nap, you scan. The prob seems to be the collision detection of its bending shape, so I'll wait for that to be fixed first ..;)

And cyclops, well atm I'm planning to recycle and rebuild my mainbase in an untouched biome to verify any impact on the ecosystem. So I'm about to create my first personal use for this sub.

Yeah, the moonpool would be real great if there wasn't the solar charger and the underwater seamoth repair service. That was a reason for building outposts with moonpools.

And the rest ... you're right. I'm looking forward to see some needs for all that stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, you don't you need the moon pool to even build the solar charger for the seamoth? Seems like you can't call it useless if you need it for something you consider more useful.

Sorry for quoting myself. ;)

Didn't catch that part. That said, at some point in the near future, we'll be getting creatures that attack our bases, which means that letting our seamoth sit outside would probably be a great way to get it dead.

Didn't catch that part. That said, at some point in the near future, we'll be getting creatures that attack our bases, which means that letting our seamoth sit outside would probably be a great way to get it dead.

Any good idea is welcome! :)
    Know what I've meant with solutions before needs?
    edited January 2016

Any good idea is welcome! :)
    Know what I've meant with solutions before needs?

I've been reserving judgement on that statement since I started playing. Considering the fact that the game is in-development and is not feature complete, as well as the fact that the roadmap does cover many of these topics at a later date / update, I've been giving the Devs the benefit of the doubt. If they add a solution to a problem that doesn't exist yet, then why should I have any problem with this?

EDIT: On second assessment, I would much rather have the solution before the problem than the other way around. If they were to introduce base attacking creatures and then at a later patch introduce a way to protect against them, this would lead to many frustrating losses of bases and equipment.
    [why should I have any problem with this?

EDIT: On second assessment, I would much rather have the solution before the problem than the other way around. If they were to introduce base attacking creatures and then at a later patch introduce a way to protect against them, this would lead to many frustrating losses of bases and equipment.

Come one, SpacedInvader. Wasn't the only problem before solution the ecosystem? And wasn't it a damn fun? Anyway, it's nothing more than a question of taste. I like to see the need before check out the solution. But that might just be my pragmatism ...
    [why should I have any problem with this?

Come one, SpacedInvader. Wasn't the only problem before solution the ecosystem? And wasn't it a damn fun? Anyway, it's nothing more than a question of taste. I like to see the need before check out the solution. But that might just be my pragmatism ...

I haven't said that wasn't fun, but as far as I can tell, the Devs had considered the ecosystem to be working just fine without fish respawn in any form and I felt it important to attempt to steer them towards a more long-term sustainable solution that would prevent the dead-zone effect we get when playing for long periods of time. This discussion is a whole different animal, as I can't call something useless simply because the Devs haven't introduced a great need for it into the game.

That all having been said, reading back over your list, I see plenty of very useful items (e.g. medkit, stasis rifle, dive reel) that you seem to have listed not because they don't have a clear and beneficial use, but because you don't choose to use them. While I agree that the original question of the topic is "what are your most unused stuff", later calling them a waste is a little harsh. Items like these aren't a waste, but rather situationally useful, and should be viewed as such. I'm not saying, however, that there aren't items which are a waste of space (e.g. grav-sphere, current generator), but at least you should accept that some things are useful, even if you don't use them.

And, finally, I still say the moon pool is plenty useful as it is now, solar charger or not. This is because it is logical that you would store your highly valuable mode of transportation safely within your base if you have that option available to you. Sure, there is an element of role-playing there, but thats the way I approach the game. This carries over to all of the fluff that you can put into your base as well. If I was living for an extended period of time alone on an alien planet, I'd want to make my living environment as comfortable and customized as possible to lessen the negative impact of solitude. But, then again, I guess this is my approach to the game, and not yours.
    edited January 2016
    While I agree that the original question of the topic is "what are your most unused stuff", later calling them a waste is a little harsh.

Did you have too much monosodium glutamate? You are a clever guy, SpacedInvader, but you seem to have perceptual difficulties. I've called it a waste NOT to have a reasoned use for them. Clear? Anyway, I'm not the guy of too many words and it might be a mistake to expect others to abstract my allusions by reading between my lines.

But however, please read this twice, take it slowly and word by word: It is MY personal unused stuff at the MOMENT! And that is none of your business mate. Agreed?

Wish the devs could show us how many features are actually used how often. Especially if they consider this link (http://andrewchen.co/the-next-feature-fallacy-the-fallacy-that-the-next-new-feature-will-suddenly-make-people-use-your-product/) as a goldmine.

Maybe some unused stuff could get cleaned out if no one really uses it. Or could get made useful again by refunctioning it.
    Or could get made useful again by refunctioning it.

I agree on that. Make it useful please! There's simply no need for many of those lovingly designed tools and this uselessness is pure waste at the moment.
  • ExentenzedExentenzed Norway Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212122Members
    edited January 2016
    Personally i never use (after trying it atleast once) and dont think i ever will:
    • Terraformer (I hate the spheres it creates/removes, always ends up making the beautifully crafted terrain so gorram ugly.)
    • Gravsphere
    • Current generator
    • Water reclamation suit (water filtration rendered it obsolete for me)
    • Reinforced dive suit
    • Seamoth power efficiency module (15%? for 1/4 slots? Nope)
    • Signals (I barely use beacons as it is, i dont want more blips ruining my view)
    • Seamoth torpedo system (looks cool, but the perimeter defense it too OP to even consider this thing)

Things i probably should use or would if/when there are improoved mechanics/content for it
    • Diving Reel
    • Thermoblade
    • Pipes (Dependent on bases requiring them for O2)
    • Indoor farming trays
    • Bio reactor
    • Air bladder
    • Flares (Might actually start using these now, considering how dark small caves and nights are now, which i love)
    • Cyclops (Useless, power hungry and an apparent TIE Fighter inspired field of view)

In addition, if i understand correctly that the new floodlights will require frequent battery changes, i probably wont bother. Depending on how fast they discharge the batteries, i might not even bother even with the upcoming battery charger. :expressionless:
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    Unused items:
    • Air Bladder: sounds useful, but didn't get around to make one. Quartz (and therefore silicone rubber) is in high demand at the beginning of the game and I can still swim upwards myself...
    • Bio Reactor: from back when Creepvine didn't respawn. Still don't like destroying Mushroom Forest (needs a table coral) Might give it another try.
    • Current Generator: Cannot determine a use. Feels out of place.
    • Dive Reel: Reason: Its buggy.
    • Flares: Too expensive to make. Takes away inventory space. Also didn't find a real use for them, too.
    • Gravsphere: What for? It is too scifi for me. It feels out of place.
    • Seamoth Torpedo System: Feels out of place.
    • Small Storage Cube: Haven't found a use for it. Maybe a use will emerge.
    • Terraformer: I do not like to destroy the landscape. I would rather custom fit a base into the terrain than change the terrain. I think I used it once.
    • Plasteel Tank: It just doesn't sound useful. Having more air is more attractive than swimming faster.
    • Repulsion Cannon: Don't like it. Too large, too unwieldly, too... unfriendly. Not necessary. Used it once.

Rarely used items:
    • Air Pipes: Used to depend on pipes a lot back in autumn. Made a few to explore Kelp / Grassy Plains and build a base there. Even built an air supply into the Giant Coral Tree caves. Was fun. Now I'd rather build a Seamoth and a few power cells.
    • Propulsion cannon: I am oldschool. If I want something, I go there and take it. Does come in handy when hunting Peepers, though.
    • Seaglide: Huge item. Cannot be recharged. Don't like that. Rather take two more tanks with me.
    • Stasis Rifle: I rarely use it as it takes 4 slots of space and predators can be avoided, too. Found a use when going into the Aurora to pacify the spiders. But still not really necessary there.
    • Thermoblade: Interesting, as it was one of the most used items in autumn, since we have fish tanks now where we breed fish, I almost never use it anymore.

Items I use all the time: (doesn't include things you really need like base builder, mobile vehicle bay)
    • Knife: I don't know if I really need it, but I have one on me all the time. It feels necessary.
    • High Capacity Tank: Not really surprising...
    • Rebreather: Since there is no other useful update for that slot...
    • Signs and picture frames: What an addition! Makes home look like... home.
    • Still Suit. I love it. Period.
    • Welder: Poor fish... I run over them all the time, even if I try to avoid them.
    edited January 2016
    While I agree that the original question of the topic is "what are your most unused stuff", later calling them a waste is a little harsh.

Did you have too much monosodium glutamate? You are a clever guy, SpacedInvader, but you seem to have perceptual difficulties. I've called it a waste NOT to have a reasoned use for them. Clear? Anyway, I'm not the guy of too many words and it might be a mistake to expect others to abstract my allusions by reading between my lines.

But however, please read this twice, take it slowly and word by word: It is MY personal unused stuff at the MOMENT! And that is none of your business mate. Agreed?

Well, mate, this is a public thread on a public forum, and the condescending and antagonistic tone of your posts has a tendency to generate a negative reaction from me. So, if you have "business" that you don't want to be challenged here, I recommend you either not post it, or learn to be more diplomatic in your phrasing.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Most used items (always have with me):
    • scanner,
    • knife (for some reason the basic still works on 0% durability, though you need to save and re-open)
    • flashlight
    • stasis rifle (prefer to propulsion cannon)
    • air-bladder..... leave cyclops above wherever I'm diving (though probably still 100m+ submerged), dive downwards, and get a free lift upwards when I need it most - this has saved me on a few occasions
    • tanks (I personally prefer the light tanks, rather than the high capacity ones for 'shallow' dives of up to about 400m)
    • fins (personally a fan of ultraglide)
    • COMPASS!
    • thermometer

Greatly used items (have a copy in cyclops and in base):
    • Cyclops (and a single Seamoth)
    • Base (most modules, including the moonpool and filtration machine, and the new modules that are experimental only atm)
    • welder
    • base builder (so I can build more cabinets in cyclops if I want)
    • med kits
    • water
    • food
    • BEACONS
    • dive reel - buggy as hell, but essential when exploring some of the smaller caves as I tend to get lost
    • floaters (x10 or so)
    • propulsion cannon
    • spare power cells
    • spare batteries
    • cyclops and seamoth pressure compensators
    • solar panels (technically not an item, but I mount 6-10 on the cyclops, and then run my base off about 50)
    • fabricator
    • cabinets and lockers (and when fish start to degrade/die in normal storage, it'll be small aquaria too)
    • still suit
    • rebreather
    • bench
    • charging bench (when they introduce)

Infrequently used items
    The highly useful niche items:
    • laser cutter
    • rad suit
    • modification station
    • power relays? (the little spikes that extend range for power sources)
    • powerglide fins
    • armoured suit
    • signals
    • seamoth defense systems (shock and reinforce, especially)
    • thermal generator
    • terraformer (because I really hate foundations that don't have pillars into a rock-bed, but otherwise, you can build your rooms/foundations into the terrain around you to terraform that way)

generally out-performed items/or I simply don't like:
    • repulsion cannon
    • diamond blade
    • thermo-blade
    • seamoth storage (by the time I've got it, I've got a cyclops.....)
    • small storage box (they have a tendency to go missing)
    • small aquaria - the fish don't die in lockers, even after game weeks! (which is just wrong.....)

Items I don't think I've ever used:
    • pipes (though I expect that to change when we have to pipe air into bases.... but never for the diver.....)
    • flares (though now I've got some salt to spare, this might change)
    • seamoth solar charger (by the time I've got it, I've got a moon-pool and a cyclops, which both have a renewable recharge source)
    • seaglide (big, and can't be recharged... I think I tried it once before deciding I hated it)
    • gravsphere
    • current generator

think that's all, but beware I'm a boy scout, so have more use for things that can be used repeatedly than things that need a new battery/powercell every so often (I think I've only replaced a single power cell so far)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Items i NEVER use:

Flares
    Gravsphere
    Current Generator
    Plasteel Tanks
    Repulsion Cannon
    Small storage box
    Signals --- (i know where they point by heart by now)
    Pipes
    Air bladder --seems nice, but doesnt help that much really
    Dive Reel -- i used to at first, but now i dont anymore ever
    Flashlight

Items i use ALOT:

Knives, all of them -- of course
    Seaglide -- mostly as a lightsource in dark places as i find the flashlight much less useful
    Seamoth
    Welder
    Habitat builder
    Workbench
    Everything that involves making//putting in Seabases
    Propulsion cannon
    Beacons (God knows i need them alot)
    fins, all of them
    High Capacity Tanks
    Terraformer

Everything else i use sparsely, in some games i may use something that i wont in another. Note that i did not put the Cyclops in the stuff i use alot. The Cyclops is so big 'n bulky, i realize fast that it tends to get stuck almost everywhere that isnt very deep, plus its slow, i rather use the seamoth all the time. Of course, with the next big update theyll make limited oxygen in the seamoth, i might get to use the Cyclops more.

edited January 2016
    more diplomatic in your phrasing.

I agree. But you might also agree that diplomacy requires some willingness for understanding and will inevitably fail when it comes to questionable teachings based on absurdly quibbling. A rational discussion presupposes the ability of receptivity. So if you want to 'teach' someone, SpacedInvader, you better familiarize with the content first.

Edit/PS: And yes, it might be my fault. I simply have no comprehension for upper clever teachings dispensing any contextually foundation. Don't get me wrong, I really like our discussions .. as long as they are based on reciprocal insights.