Common sense harvesting hazards

Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
Now here I'm referring to solely harvesting Raw Materials. Here goes: (Hat tip to Subnautica Wiki and Wikipedia)

Current Hazards
  • Acid Mushroom -- If cut by a Knife, it will harm the player with acid.
  • Crash Powder -- Crash Fish... enough said there.
  • Creepvine Sample -- If too many creepvine samples are eaten at once, the AI announces ''blood loss detected'' and the player's health will decrease.
  • Stalker Tooth -- Stalkers... enough said there too.

Proposed Hazards
  • Blood Oil -- If cut by a Knife, create a blood splat animation and it makes predators nearby more aggressive. (like chum)
  • Deep Shroom -- As a subspecies of the Acid Mushroom it should have a similar, but more potent acid defense.
  • Magnetite -- Nothing dangerous, but should interfere with a HUD compass within a certain range prior to harvesting.
  • Metal Salvage -- As parts of our exploded mother-ship some of these should be slightly radioactive, especially after the explosion.
  • Pink Mushroom and Purple Rattle -- Not really a hazard, but as a Land-based fungus it should not grow in planter boxes when submerged in water.
  • Uranium -- As a radioactive isotope it should be slightly radioactive even when concealed by the Basalt covering.

Problem Elements:
  • Lithium -- BOOM! Lithium is highly reactive and flammable and reacts with water easily forming hydrogen gas and lithium hydroxide dissolved in solution. Granitic pegmatites also provide the greatest abundance of lithium-containing minerals, with spodumene and petalite being the most commercially viable sources. The total lithium content of (Earth) seawater is very large and is estimated as 230 billion tonnes, where the element exists at a relatively constant concentration of 0.14 to 0.25 parts per million (ppm), or 25 micromolar; higher concentrations approaching 7 ppm are found near hydrothermal vents... so it could potentially be acquired as a water filtration byproduct.
  • Mercury Ore -- Consider renaming to Cinnabar Ore, the most common source ore for refining elemental mercury, and is the historic source for the brilliant red or scarlet pigment termed vermilion and associated red mercury pigments. Cinnabar generally occurs as a vein-filling mineral associated with recent volcanic activity and alkaline hot springs.

Comments

• SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    I support these changes. I also think there should be greater fauna interaction with the resources (e.g. biters are sensitive to magnetite, so they cluster around the nodes in larger quantities), which could present added threat to a lot of harvesting operations.
  • ExentenzedExentenzed Norway Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212122Members
    Love it.

The only one i had an issue with was: "Metal Salvage -- As parts of our exploded mother-ship some of these should be slightly radioactive, especially after the explosion."

The ship itself isnt very radioactive until the explosion, and since metal salvage is around from before said explosion, its safe to assume that all the scrap you find fell off during reentry.
    Also, stalkers are attracted to salvage, so after you clear up the nearby vicinity in the safe shallows, you can either choose to risk going into the kelp forest for more, or use more time scouring other parts of the shallows for it. Fair tradeoff for a basic resource in my oppinion.
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members
    everything looked good except for the radioactive metal salvage.. i really dread the idea of having to constantly switch from stillsuit/rebreather to radiation protection suit/helm just to pick up the most basic material in the game... sorry, the rest were good, but that one was absolutely terrible.