Trypophobia

jackie777jackie777 UK Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213578Members
I KNOW it's an underwater game, but as I watch JackSepticEye playing it and having fun with it, I keep feeling sick at the sight of the corals. I'm so sorry, I know I should've known that they're going to show up in a game like this, but it looks SO AWESOME, and I really want to play it myself, and these corals are the only things still keeping me away.
I'm probably asking for much, I don't know how much work would that take (and gods know you guys are doing an amazing job with this game already), but can we get, like, a trypophobia button in the options? That would just cover the corals, make them just grey or something?
For people without this phobia it wouldn't make much difference, but for people like me the change would be colossal.

Comments

• watergirlwatergirl US Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213596Members
    Minor trypophobe here. I understand where you are coming from, especially if you are more severe like my relatives. The little patches of barnacle textures on the rocks skeezed me out for 2 days.

But I also believe in immersion theory. And this game is so amazing that I pushed through it. You do start to get over it after awhile. Or just live in the mushroom and grasslands biomes. XD

Before anyone talks smack, trypophobia is a strong repulsion, not actually a phobia. And it is thought that as many as 25% of the population has it. Probably why so many people are afraid of the ocean. It is a bunch of stuff coming out of holes down there.
  • PenguinPersonPenguinPerson US of A Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213598Members
    This may sound insensitive but I am not intending it to be but is this game really one someone with that kind of phobia should be playing? Like at all? I mean a large part of the game is identifying and using the very things that you guys would need to avoid. On top of that many bioms are specifically defined by their coral life presence. In some cases the biom is made of coral like the mushroom forest. I just find you would have a lot of difficulty actually playing the game much past the grassy terrain even with the corral grayed out as you may not be able to tell anything apart.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited February 2016
    Wait, thats a thing. I looked it up and I kinda get it, only the picutres of tiny holes on peoples body freaked me out really when I looked it up. Also does the words "Tiny Holes" freak you out or is it just pictures.

Heres a link to the images I found disturbing. (Don't click if you have this phobia, I AM WARNING YOU!):
    - slapped it into a spoilertag for double protection, trust me if you have that phobia DO NOT CLICK! -Kouji San
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    That photoshop crap is indeed VERY cringeworthy and I don't get phased by anything really. I think I saw some Halloween costumes sporting that crap... But lemme get this straight, I'm just curious.

Cheese, sponges, perforated metal sheets, honeycombs and stuff like that also triggers it? Maybe we need workshop support so we can custom model that stuff...