multiplayer ever?

iamnotarobotiamnotarobot Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219782Members
I like watching this game played. It would be nice to go in and join friends and play the game together. Will the game ever have multiplayer? If there is a chance of multiplayer, I will eventually get it. It is not a game that I will ever play alone though.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • iamnotarobotiamnotarobot Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219782Members
    Thanks, when i did a search i found thousands of posts asking but not answering. so no co-op well more money in my future pockets.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    No co-op for this version of the game. It will likely take about a year or more to add it, and would need to be it's own separate product. We are actively discussing plans for the future that include a Subnautica product with multiplayer, but it will not be in the regular version.
  • Tyr07Tyr07 Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173208Members
    No co-op for this version of the game. It will likely take about a year or more to add it, and would need to be it's own separate product. We are actively discussing plans for the future that include a Subnautica product with multiplayer, but it will not be in the regular version.

I definitely feel that I'm getting my value out of subnautica, it's quite enjoyable as a single player game.

There are a lot of functions and features within subnautica that would make a co-op experience absolutely amazing and a ton of fun, so please definitely consider it. I know some of the challenges, time and resources required to develop multiplayer aspects of a game.

I'm sure most Subnautica fans would be more than happy to <font color="green">pay for an expansion</font> like the old days to 'add multiplayer', stand alone or otherwise (hopefully with some new content). So please seriously consider it, we're willing to pay for it. (I am anyway)
  • iamnotarobotiamnotarobot Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219782Members
    Tyr07 wrote: »

I definitely feel that I'm getting my value out of subnautica, it's quite enjoyable as a single player game.

There are a lot of functions and features within subnautica that would make a co-op experience absolutely amazing and a ton of fun, so please definitely consider it. I know some of the challenges, time and resources required to develop multiplayer aspects of a game.

I'm sure most Subnautica fans would be more than happy to <font color="green">pay for an expansion</font> like the old days to 'add multiplayer', stand alone or otherwise (hopefully with some new content). So please seriously consider it, we're willing to pay for it. (I am anyway)

As you see in the post you quoted, there will be no co-op in this version of the game and not for at least a year from what I have read elsewhere. This is not a game I would play by myself just not my style of play, at least on an individual basis. This is the kind of game I would play with a friend or friends, it just feels like a co-op game to me. I understand how good the game seems and looks just not for me in it's current form.
  • Tyr07Tyr07 Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173208Members
    I can understand that. Personally I've sunk 30 hours into the game already, exploring, finding things, building my base out. Currently playing on hardcore to keep it interesting.
    I have a feeling when this game is fully released, the experience and assets they develop would help them go along much further in developing a really good multiplayer co-op or even an option of versus feature.

Even though you'd much prefer a multiplayer game at the moment, the focus on a single player version of this is likely benefiting us far more in the combination of quality of the game, and time between updates. It's likely quite handy that they don't have to chase down server/client/peer to peer sync issues and more.

So in the end if they do turn out a multiplayer version, it might exceed the original games quality and fun /without/ even adding the fact that you can play with your friends, so you might get a much better product in the way that this is being developed.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

So it'd be along the lines of "Don't Starve Together"?