The Epic Tale of How I Found My New Base Location

CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
This is something that happened to me yesterday that I thought might be worth sharing.

So in my current save, I was already pretty well off. I had pretty much every blueprint, a wealthy supply of titanium and quartz, and could probably have made a Cyclops if I had had the mind to.
But I was more interested in branching out my methods of survival, and finding a new base location. Before then I'd always had a pretty bland upgrade path for power generation in my bases. Solar panels, to bioreactor, to nuclear reactor. I wanted to try something a bit different. I went out to look for a nice location with a thermal vent so I could generate heat power.
So I had ended up going northeast, toward a mushroom forest bordering the Kooshzone. It was there that I heard it - the thunderous roar of a thermal vent erupting.
But when I found it, I was a bit disappointed; I could see the smoke and lava particles shooting upward, but they were just clipping through the ground, concealed by a thick layer of sand and rock.
A bit offput, I decided to waste some time and explore the caverns beneath the large mushroom tree. I didn't find much that I wanted, just a crapton of shuttlebugs and some nice world design (you go, devs!). However I did eventually find that thermal vent, amusingly filled with dead shuttlebugs, like how the vents in the glowing mushroom biome are always filled with cooked Eyeyes.

And that's when I got lost.

I kept driving my Seamoth around in circles, carefully navigating through the tight caverns, constantly finding my way back to either the vent or the large central room with an island held up by roots. I was starting to starve and dehydrate, as I had already consumed my only supplies in the half-hour I had been trying to find my way out.
But then, an epiphany!

I found my way back to the thermal vent, and I remembered how I saw the smoke and steam coming up through the ground. It must be close to the seafloor, but I can't dig the rock with my hands.
So with my spare battery, and my fully charged welder, I took to my Seamoth and continually rammed the roof of the cavern.
Slowly but surely, I was sacrificing the health of my submersible to carve away at the stone. Again and again, bang! Bang! Bang!
It wasn't until I had gotten my Seamoth down to 20% health twice and healed it, that the stone gave way to sand. Once the opening was large enough, I exited my Seamoth and started digging.
Going back for air a few different time, eventually I saw it! Sunlight!
I made the hole large enough for my Seamoth to fit though, and I did it! I was free!
But not only that, I now had a direct conduit from the seafloor to the thermal vent. I took immediate advantage of this and started work on my new "Kooshroom Base".

It's not much yet, but I expect it to grow exponentially in the coming days. And man, if you read that whole wall of text, thanks!
And needless to say, after this, I'm gonna miss terraforming a bit when it's gone.

6db4d0a8b4324dde9979d5f944735c56.png

0980179e3d614ce7ac1e8a7efbac925b.png

Comments

• Geocrafter47Geocrafter47 Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219382Members
    Someone should make this into a short film.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    If you have HabTool on you, you can create a corridor section or MP room in the side of the cavern wall/roof. Once its fully built, the terrain vanishes. Now deconstruct it, and you have the start of a tunnel. Move into it and repeat, until you have cored your way to freedom with HabTool. As long as the battery lasts, anyway. its how I drilled my mineshaft to 520m depth. :)
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    I had no idea you could break rock with a seamoth
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Love it.

I didn't know you could do that with a Seamoth, either. I knew the Cyclops could break stuff by running into it (for me it's usually dragging the screw on stuff...feels like it's a mile behind me).

Nicely done.

J
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    If you're looking for an interesting cave/spot to build, in the koosh zone, not far from the koosh zone wreck I found a cave network that's full of thermal hot spots, and they're the smoker variety that don't damage you or make that obnoxious eruption noise all the time.
  • CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    scubamatt wrote: »
    If you have HabTool on you, you can create a corridor section or MP room in the side of the cavern wall/roof. Once its fully built, the terrain vanishes. Now deconstruct it, and you have the start of a tunnel. Move into it and repeat, until you have cored your way to freedom with HabTool. As long as the battery lasts, anyway. its how I drilled my mineshaft to 520m depth. :)

That's not a bad idea, but I didn't have an titanium on me at the time. I clear my inventory of non-essentials before every expedition!