Anyone else notice the lack of power from the Jump Jet Mod?

GreyFox33GreyFox33 Australia Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220145Members
Hey Guys,

So i finally crafted the jump jet mod for the PRAWN last night, and I must say i was a little disappointed. Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

I mean lets say the power from standard thruster out of 100% might be equal to say 10%-15% of thrust. Switch to the jump jet Mod and I would say it might give you additional thrust equal to 30%-40%.

Now i know it is not meant to propel you into the sky like an F-16 on full afterburn but still, I would expect it to negate the need to use the Grappling hook after upgrading to the jump jet, even at the expense of power drain, sadly that is not the case.

Thoughts?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I never expected not to have to combo with the grappling hook and I have no complaints about the jump jet upgrade. It has greatly improved my movement while not feeling overpowered. Having to go down all the way to the ALZ just to fetch the materials is a bit much imo, but this should be amended when there'll be more to do down there.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I never expected not to have to combo with the grappling hook and I have no complaints about the jump jet upgrade. It has greatly improved my movement while not feeling overpowered. Having to go down all the way to the ALZ just to fetch the materials is a bit much imo, but this should be amended when there'll be more to do down there.

I suggest that we should be able to find sulfur in the volcanic vents
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    GreyFox33 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

So i finally crafted the jump jet mod for the PRAWN last night, and I must say i was a little disappointed. Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

I mean lets say the power from standard thruster out of 100% might be equal to say 10%-15% of thrust. Switch to the jump jet Mod and I would say it might give you additional thrust equal to 30%-40%.

Now i know it is not meant to propel you into the sky like an F-16 on full afterburn but still, I would expect it to negate the need to use the Grappling hook after upgrading to the jump jet, even at the expense of power drain, sadly that is not the case.

Thoughts?

Yep, it's a tricky to use stock PRAWN chassis but... I have explanation for myself:
    1. If you want a speed - use Seamoth. Its purpose is for quick travel without hard work.
    2. You have Cyclops which can transport your PRAWN from location to location. Stock in-built jet can bring you back to Cyclops.
    3. You can use your Seamoth (with 3lvl compensator) and Seaglide to obtain Sulfur in Lava location (which is under Deep Grand Reef) and make your 2nd Jet which is far more powerful.
    4. You need PRAWN only in River and Lava where you will travel with Cyclops because these location designed for it, they are very big and require long journey (more then two standard salt reginalds).
  • GreyFox33GreyFox33 Australia Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220145Members
    edited September 2016

Talissera, you mentioned that you can add a 2nd Jump jet mod, are you saying that they stack? Because if it does, that would solve the lack of power problem :)

Talissera, you mentioned that you can add a 2nd Jump jet mod, are you saying that they stack? Because if it does, that would solve the lack of power problem :)

Oh, sorry for misconception. For me there is "in-built jet" which isn't a module but a property of PRAWN, any way you can use "spacebar" for low jumping. Much of speed you earn with grapple hook.

Then you can make a run for sulphur and craft jet module which really boosts your PRAWN. With it I could jump to low side of Floating Island from the depth and by using grapple hook jump on it.

In any case IMHO PRAWN suit shouldn't overlap Seamoth in a speed and agility. The only thing I would like to see boosted is the PRAWN sonar or smth like that and boosted lights. It is annoying to work in depth and not seeing where you go. Especially when there is much lower light on -400m.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Talissera wrote: »
    Oh, sorry for misconception. For me there is "in-built jet" which isn't a module but a property of PRAWN, any way you can use "spacebar" for low jumping. Much of speed you earn with grapple hook.

Then you can make a run for sulphur and craft jet module which really boosts your PRAWN. With it I could jump to low side of Floating Island from the depth and by using grapple hook jump on it.

In any case IMHO PRAWN suit shouldn't overlap Seamoth in a speed and agility. The only thing I would like to see boosted is the PRAWN sonar or smth like that and boosted lights. It is annoying to work in depth and not seeing where you go. Especially when there is much lower light on -400m.

You can reach the FI with a fully upgraded PRAWN? Do you stand under it or use the top of the border mountains?
    edited September 2016

Ah i see, bummer, i got excited there for a minute. Still....im curious now to see if it does stack. Anyone else tried it? I agree that the PRAWN should not be faster than the seamoth but i do believe its vertical propulsion should have significant power to ascend, even if it is only short lived and at the expense of power drain.
    Ok, so i can confirm that the Jump Jet mod for the PRAWN does not stack. All good, it just means that i had another slot to add the thermal reactor mod to :smile:
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    Hey Guys,

Thoughts?

Whether or not you need the grapple hook depends on the situation. If I am exploring in the underwater island area without a cyclops nearby I would want both in case I miss a jump. If I am just going into the underwater caves you can go with either one only and be fine. If you park a cyclops nearby you again don't need both either.

While I have to make a more in depth experiment. In general I get 100m jumps with the jump-jets, if you take even the low ball of 30% that is 30m extra per jump. Which is pretty nice when trying to scale deep holes or just the terrain in general. While there is terrain that you just will really want the grapple hook for you will have to spend less time latched onto the side of a hill waiting for your thrusters to recharge since you get more out of every jump.

Plus on that note, the jump-jets are more efficient with their thrust. With the grapple hook and jump-jet combo you can actually 'flutter' your jump-jet use to allow you to use the pull of the hook to propel yourself along the sea. If you get decently good enough you can reach, maybe exceed, the speed of a Seamoth. It is tricky but not that hard, and the trick itself works way better with the jumpjets since on a single charge you can cross hundreds of meters. Plus it reminds me of the old school 'Bionic Commando' game, a childhood favorite.

I'm going to go do some more actual testing now, since the topic intrigues me. But I would flat out say the jump-jets as they are now are definitely worth the time to obtain and build.

You can reach the FI with a fully upgraded PRAWN? Do you stand under it or use the top of the border mountains?

As far as I remember there is a bit plain place, the distance between the highest point and lowest point of island is still around hundred of meter or more. Stick with grapple, reload reactor, .
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members

As far as I remember there is a bit plain place, the distance between the highest point and lowest point of island is still around hundred of meter or more. Stick with grapple, reload reactor, .

Here is the thing, I did some actual testing last night. Now assuming that weight is not a factor (mine was unloaded) there is a huge difference between normal and jet thrusters. With normal thrusters if you start at 100m below the surface you can only reach about 45m, or basically you can only jump 55m. With the jump jets I was a able to get 130m jumps. This includes distance gained by inertia. So the jump-jets are an upgrade factor of 100% as far as my testing showed.

Plus, the hook allows you greater mobility. Without it you don't have much lateral momentum unless you were already moving in that direction. This can make navigating steep cliffs difficult because even if you can clear them you may not have the power to reach the edge.

Now in the point of overlap, there is a marked difference. While you can reach speeds that compare to the Seamoth you only can do this in a straight line and only if you use specific equipment. So while in theory you can just as quickly get somewhere you can't quickly change directions like the Seamoth or just be able to go without having to worry about terrain. Nor can you shake off things like the Reapers as easily. Plus some locations, like the floating island, seem to be out of reach of the PRAWN suit.