Renaming of Certain Species (Quickie)

WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
Subnautica is a game filled with diverse landscapes, flora, and fauna. Unfortunately, some of these flora and fauna are relics of the past. In the early days of Subnautica, many of the organisms were given very 'gamey' names, such as the Stalker, or the Jumper. Since then, the developers have switched to a much more appropriate naming system. Many of the names in the game feel very realistic and intense. The Jumper was changed to the Shuttle Bug, and the Stalker was briefly known as the Snout Shark. I propose that they finish this renaming project, and change all these 'arcade-esque' titles to more appropriate names!

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I dunno, I like the current names and I don't see why you think that something like maybe stalker or boomerang is innapropriate. Stalkers do just that and the name 'Boomerang' is really cool! So, I don't think that any more re-naming will be happening.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Yeah I kinda agree that some names are arcade-ish, although cool. Perhaps they could just add a line in the PDA stating the proper names or somethin?
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Yeah sorry, I also have to agree I like some of the older names, i.e. the Peeper. I Would be devastated if they renamed that one-eyed fish. :s
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    Captagear wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, I also have to agree I like some of the older names, i.e. the Peeper. I Would be devastated if they renamed that one-eyed fish. :s
    I dunno, I like the current names and I don't see why you think that something like maybe stalker or boomerang is innapropriate. Stalkers do just that and the name 'Boomerang' is really cool! So, I don't think that any more re-naming will be happening.

I think Peeper and Boomerang would be fine if they added "fish" to the end of them. It's a small change but makes a big difference. Crash and Stalker are atrocious (And for the record, Stalkers don't really do much stalking)
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    Are you going to look at this as you do in the game, or think about what they would be outside the game. The stalker is a nocturnal predator, waiting for fishes to leave the shallows and venture into the heavily vegetated kelp forests. Their greenish teal color allows them to blend in, and they ambush fish that stray too close. The only animal to not follow a semi lore inspired or appearance inspired name, would actually be the Gary fish for all things considered.
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    Are you going to look at this as you do in the game, or think about what they would be outside the game. The stalker is a nocturnal predator, waiting for fishes to leave the shallows and venture into the heavily vegetated kelp forests. Their greenish teal color allows them to blend in, and they ambush fish that stray too close. The only animal to not follow a semi lore inspired or appearance inspired name, would actually be the Gary fish for all things considered.

Regardless, the stalker is not a realistic of fitting name in my opinion. Also I believe the Gary Fish is named after Gary from Spongebob :wink:
    edited September 2016
    That would be the biggest damn stretch I have ever heard man.

Who gives a damn about realism, it's a game, enjoy the fact it isn't realistic.
    edited September 2016
    @Sigmalx
    Come on now... I don't take offence but someone else could...l lets just keep religion out of these forums. :)
    yeah you have a point. something always make someone cry, so this one time.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    The name crash makes sense to me. Its called the crash because when it collides with something it explodes. Just like planes in real life!
    its called crashfish in game for a reason you know. also, low blow man.

I give a damn obviously, and i'm not the only one. If the developers want to lean towards realism like they have so far, then they should commit to it. Also it's not a stretch at all.
    its called crashfish in game for a reason you know. also, low blow man.

Rename it
    Everybody calm down! If your not careful a monorator will come along and close the discussion!
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    The heck are you talking about Nick? I've never once seen a mod curb a discussion, heated or not.
    Necrom wrote: »
    The heck are you talking about Nick? I've never once seen a mod curb a discussion, heated or not.

Lmao
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Necrom wrote: »

I've seen it once.
  • NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Perhaps its just because I've been on the backburner for a while, but I've never even seen a mod. Maybe It's just me.
    its happened between me and nick. but seriously, you are on an alien ocean planet, its not supposed to be realistic... it isnt earth. also, they renamed the crash to crashfish, to sort out between crash reports and the fish. (its on the wiki)
    @Necrom, one of my discussions has been closed down before because people got angry at each other. @Sigmalx is right, it did happen between me and him. So people should just open a discussion between each other if they want to argue!
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    @Necrom, one of my discussions has been closed down before because people got angry at each other. @Sigmalx is right, it did happen between me and him. So people should just open a discussion between each other if they want to argue!

Tbh, it seemed more like the mod thought @Sigmalx was trolling when he just didn't realize what you meant
  • Depth46Depth46 Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222167Members
    I like the names atm, although stalkers don't seem to stalk haha (I haven't been too deep)
    Guys,

Where did all this come from, its just two opinions haha! :)
    Depth46 wrote: »
    I like the names atm, although stalkers don't seem to stalk haha (I haven't been too deep)
    Sure they do! I've seen the stalkers jump out of the creepvine to grab a fish and bring it back! :D
    i really dont know.
    its happened between me and nick. but seriously, you are on an alien ocean planet, its not supposed to be realistic... it isnt earth. also, they renamed the crash to crashfish, to sort out between crash reports and the fish. (its on the wiki)
    It can be realistic if it's another planet?!?!
    i dont think thats my point.
    i dont think thats my point.

Then what is? They're clearly going for a realistic direction.
    my point was: Realism is what we have on earth; this isnt earth. therefore: what we considered abnormal and unrealistic could be perfectly normal. i mean, floating islands? massive under water lava reservoirs. relatively organless teleporting organisms.

realism?
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I saw a video with the old surface plant names. They were pretty terrible, and I've only ever seen the current names, and I think the current names are fine.

Fish, though? NOBODY named them. Well, the Degasi survivors might have, but the player shouldn't know that for an ingame week. They have to be called something, and "fish1, fish2, etc" is boring. The current names are fine, with the possible exception of the garryfish, imo. They're what a survivor thought of when he saw weird alien fish composed of large amounts of eyes and such.