Please Change the Seamoth Steering Back

13»

Comments

• Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
    Micro Update 67:
    "Seamoth and player turn speeds are now more consistent"

Can anyone confirm if the steering problem is fixed??
  • thascthasc Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219567Members
    edited July 2016
    There seem to be two separate 'zones' of sensitivity, post-micropatch. (Maybe there were before too and I just didn't notice.)

There's a circular zone around and including the Seamoth's forward vector now, where mouse motions feel very fluid and good.

But when you leave that zone (i.e. trying to turn fast), mouse sensitivity seems to drop, like you're 'dragging' the Seamoth around with you, fighting against it. It used (months back) to feel more along the lines of the player declaring 'we're going THIS way now!' and the Seamoth turning to match as quickly as it could, but now it feels as though the Seamoth has more of a say, and you have to put force into turning it the way you want.

It's that on-the-fly, moment-by-moment change in how mouse motion speed maps to actual camera turn rate that causes the unpleasantness in handling, IMO.

(Edit: Might be worth noting that the save I'm running from is many months old, but has been upgraded - I assume that doesn't muck up the Seamoth handling, but maybe it does if this experience isn't universal.)
  • Recon777Recon777 Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215505Members
    Well, it sounds like maybe it's "better", but really, what they need to do is to LOCK the player's head to point in the direction the seamoth is facing. Unless you're using VR or something. Honestly, if you don't have a VR device, there's no reason to be "looking around" from within the craft. They need to just lock it straight ahead and all will be well.

thasc wrote: »
    There seem to be two separate 'zones' of sensitivity, post-micropatch. (Maybe there were before too and I just didn't notice.)

There's a circular zone around and including the Seamoth's forward vector now, where mouse motions feel very fluid and good.

But when you leave that zone (i.e. trying to turn fast), mouse sensitivity seems to drop, like you're 'dragging' the Seamoth around with you, fighting against it. It used (months back) to feel more along the lines of the player declaring 'we're going THIS way now!' and the Seamoth turning to match as quickly as it could, but now it feels as though the Seamoth has more of a say, and you have to put force into turning it the way you want.

It's that on-the-fly, moment-by-moment change in how mouse motion speed maps to actual camera turn rate that causes the unpleasantness in handling, IMO.

(Edit: Might be worth noting that the save I'm running from is many months old, but has been upgraded - I assume that doesn't muck up the Seamoth handling, but maybe it does if this experience isn't universal.)

• thascthasc Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219567Members
    Recon777 wrote: »
    Well, it sounds like maybe it's "better", but really, what they need to do is to LOCK the player's head to point in the direction the seamoth is facing. Unless you're using VR or something. Honestly, if you don't have a VR device, there's no reason to be "looking around" from within the craft. They need to just lock it straight ahead and all will be well.

I have the opposite feeling - I think the player's head should be completely free-moving and unconstrained within the cockpit (although sticking with the usual first-person-shooter conventions, so no roll within the cockpit), with the Seamoth attempting at all times to bring its forward vector to match where the player is looking. That's when using the mouse, at least. I think that's what matches how things were a few months ago.

I can live with your solution though - it'd feel like the old Shrike aircraft from Tribes 2, I guess? Whereas I'm describing a control system that more closely resembles the Shrike aircraft from Tribes Ascend. (I only know how to describe things in terms of Tribes metaphors unfortunately.)
  • Tremolo4Tremolo4 Join Date: 2016-06-18 Member: 218740Members
    edited September 2016
    I just fired up the game at right now it's at least okay I guess!

I can't freely move my head inside the Seamoth like it used to be way back then. But it doesn't "drag" my view direction back in to the move-direction and instead keeps it locked. Nice!