Story vs Open World

andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
What do the players prefer? Please read before voting:
Currently the game has both Story and Open World goals.

Bare in mind that the devs only have so much time - so more focus on the one means the other gets neglected.

Below are some pros and cons atleast from my mind.

Story Focused:
Self explanatory
Pros:
  • Immersive story
  • Slight linear gameplay.
  • Rewarded as your progress through the story

Cons:
  • Open world experience limited (forced in some way to follow story)
  • End of story means generally end of game (atleast much of the motivation)
  • Everyone's experience is mostly the same
  • Rewards are mostly progressing through the story chapters
  • Limited replay-ability

Open World Focused:
This is where the game focuses more on a open experience - allowing players to explore and rewarding them for their endeavors.
Everything in the world has a potential quest around it able to complete in different ways. The players drive would be to explore and unlock everything in the game.
Pros:
  • Each player has a potentially unique experience
  • Replayability high
  • Rewarded for actions taken.
  • New biomes and content can easily be added without being limited by a story line.

Cons:
  • No large scale cut scenes / animations in order to tell a story

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    WHY
    NOT
    BOTH

I feel the devs are currently more focused on the story - causing the open world experience to be a little lacking...
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    I say both.

An immersive story paired with open world exploration gives that much more depth to a game. Focusing just on one or the other will make the game feel lacking. As @starkaos said, having the story gel with new biomes makes it worth it to explore those areas more.

Truthfully, they should make some of the story elements more difficult to complete so as to keep the player from progressing to far ahead and leaving the exploration part in the dust. I don't enjoy finishing a story without seeing what other things there are in the game and vice versa. I won't mind staying on this planet for awhile longer before rescue/escape is possible. As nice as it was to see the effects of the Sunbeam come down and get blown to bits...it was too soon in my point of view.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I think they have a pretty good amount of balance right now / future plans. The story is completely optional and can make some fun moments
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    Not a fair poll, should have the third option of BOTH.

Which is what I would vote for.

BTW: The Dev's don't need us telling them how to create the version of the game, They chose from the outset.

In truth, what we would "prefer" individually, isn't Their main goal...

The Main Goal is to sell as many copies of the game as possible and appealing to only one particular type of gamer isn't the way to go.
    B)
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    To use the pun;

You either have the length of an ocean with the depth of a puddle

Or

A puddle with the depth of an ocean.

I think the story is necessary to lead you to a satisfying end game narrative. I think the game is populated enough to allow for story mechanics. But overall? I'd rather have more maps, oceans, enviroments, biomes, and size.

Hence why I suggested adding player made maps.
  • NachoboyNachoboy Join Date: 2016-12-30 Member: 225727Members
    Im going with story. Too many games are just open world snoresville. They should finish and polish the story first, then leave the post release open world development for later. Both would be a mess because the game would take significantly longer to develop. Which also means more time needed to find bugs and more time to squish them etc etc.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Both, but story first. Add more open world after v1.0 when more money is rolling in and the game is in a stable state.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I voted survivalist in Explorers vs Survivalist. I vote story here.

I adore the basics of survival games of collecting and setting your own pace and paths, but very few survival games appeal to me because of, among others, the whole procedural generation stuff (which I find pretentious and/or deadening in all cases I've seen it) and the lack of an ending (I like to be able to finish my games rather than stop playing them). Survival games used to come with stories and static maps at least half the time before Minecraft brought them into the spotlight. Think the Survival Kids/Lost in Blue series, Biosys (Dear GoG, please get a deal done with Take2 for 2017), Robinson's Requiem/Deus, and the 2013 mini-survival Rust and Blood. That is the kind of survival I like and I am glad UWE is straying from the post-Minecraft mindset to do their own thing.

None of the cons mentioned qualifies as a con to me; maybe that one about ending the story auto-ending the game, but we already know ending the game is going to be optional.
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Well. Why Not Have It Use Cutscenes When You Get To The Security Station Of The Aroura?
  • CryselleCryselle Canada Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226011Members
    I voted story.

The fact of the matter is that you can have the biggest world in existence and there's not much point to it if it's not full of interesting and fun things to do, and reasons to explore it (No Man's Sky). The world of Subnautica is never going to be a contender for the biggest out there, not if they're hand-crafting terrain. What it can do is showcase that personal craftsmanship and make each area actually legitimately valuable to the player and game in one way or another. A light story is an amazing way to do this, and the way they've been doing story in this game doesn't force people along a singular One True Path to play. It's more like 'Hey, if you need a suggestion for something to do next, why don't you try...' kind of thing, which I love in an open world game.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    Story gives depth to the game world. Subnautica might be extremely light on story through missions, but it is decent with environmental storytelling. Environmental storytelling is through the Degasi crew, Aurora, and aliens. It certainly makes the game better than just trying to survive on an alien world. We can ignore the goal and build a base on every part of Subnautica or we can get off the planet ASAP.

Also, story gives meaning to new biomes. If they added biomes without story, then it will look cool for a few minutes until we are bored of it. Add a Precursor Gun to the Mountain Island instantly makes the Mountain Island biome more interesting. It gives purpose to go exploring instead of staying in the comfort zone waiting for rescue. Why bother risking your life to go to the Active Lava Zone to find a cure when we can soak up some rays while waiting for some ship to come rescue us?

I agree with this intensely. I remember when I first joined these forums, I was avidly anti-story. In my opinion, I like having a laid-back exploration game, where the daily events unfold on your terms. However, as I got more experienced with the game and with the forums, I did realize the importance of story. The precursor array and bases greatly add to the intrigue of the world, and large cinematic occurrences can add just as much awe as the discovery of a new biome.

I really like the concept of environmental storytelling, however. Some of my favorite moments in the game were discovering the abandoned bases and speculating on the fate of previous survivors. I really think that environmental storytelling is the way to go with subnautica. If the game gravitates more towards story, players could be rushed through biomes or miss out on some of the more beautiful elements of the game. For me, at least, subnautica draws its appeal from the exploration at your own pace, and learning about the active world around you; having the story be something you can seek out while you explore greatly appeals to me.

Also: Holy cow, this poll is clutch!
    saaq6idlvbno.png
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited January 2017
    So, I'm Really The Only One Who Really Hates The Whole Precursor Concept?
    I Mean I Voted Story But The Story Has To Be A Good Story.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Honestly I prefer what the devs themselves are doing. Build the world first, then put the events in it. The story gives great context to the features of the world, but don't take away my ability to explore it.

I enjoy exploring this game so much I even play a version from 2015 to explore the map as it was then, gigantic spires piercing the surface and deep underwater cliffside dwellings and all. I don't even know what else could be out there because the biome map doesn't match the underwater landscape that has changed so much over the years.

So, has becoming a "Julianite" turned into a thing now?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

So, has becoming a "Julianite" turned into a thing now?

If it is, I quit.
    You don't realise how hard it is to type like that when you're not used to it. I had to backspace nearly every word because I didn't hit shift.
    edited January 2017
    I Guess It Takes A Disciplined Mind.
    Though Even Doing It On Purpose Is Annoying.
    So This Will Be My Only Foray Into The Weirdness.
    B)
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

I actually agree with you (mostly) on the whole dislike-of-precursors bit. However, I think that they could be added to the story well, I would simply prefer a more exploratory approach. For example the precursor array, while providing an awesome cutscene, seems a bit too "in your face" for me. I would like a more minimalistic approach, tiny bits of tech scattered around, with a few hints about the possibility of an ancient civilisation. The one problem with that is that the current story lends itself to grander structures, and faster action (gun that has shot down several ships, planet-wide ultra-alpha-hyper-death plague).

I actually agree with you (mostly) on the whole dislike-of-precursors bit. However, I think that they could be added to the story well, I would simply prefer a more exploratory approach. For example the precursor array, while providing an awesome cutscene, seems a bit too "in your face" for me. I would like a more minimalistic approach, tiny bits of tech scattered around, with a few hints about the possibility of an ancient civilisation. The one problem with that is that the current story lends itself to grander structures, and faster action (gun that has shot down several ships, planet-wide ultra-alpha-hyper-death plague).

I just find the whole concept of a long dead advanced culture pretty cliche and unoriginal. And quite boring. The Precursors don't interest me, I simply don't care, they're not a presence, they're a relic.
    I would have liked something more akin to The Forest. Some sort of primitive intelligent species of aquatic humanoids that were still living on the planet. I'd like them to threaten the player, hunt him in packs maybe. Make you worry, even in the Safe Shallows, about a roaming pack of fish people. (I'm thinking of the Drowners in the Witcher games now.)

I'm not saying that would be any more original, it really wouldn't. But I'd be drawn in far more to any story about them, because they matter to the player's immediate survival far more.
    edited January 2017
    It would be quite interesting to find out just as we are leaving the planet, that they didn't actually "die off" and we get a clue as to where they went, thus setting up a sequel game.
    B)
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Open Worlds and Nonlinear games are overrated. I mean I appreciate what Subnautica's up to, but I remember at one point discussing Mass Effect 2 with someone and they said that the game felt linear, like that was a BAD THING.

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the story, partially DUE to the rising stakes and tension that was felt because of the slightly linear structure.
  • iknowaghostloliknowaghostlol lakewood, CO Join Date: 2017-01-07 Member: 226273Members
    i voted open world because this game is more of a survival than a story game.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited January 2017

I just find the whole concept of a long dead advanced culture pretty cliche and unoriginal. And quite boring. The Precursors don't interest me, I simply don't care, they're not a presence, they're a relic.
    I would have liked something more akin to The Forest. Some sort of primitive intelligent species of aquatic humanoids that were still living on the planet. I'd like them to threaten the player, hunt him in packs maybe. Make you worry, even in the Safe Shallows, about a roaming pack of fish people. (I'm thinking of the Drowners in the Witcher games now.)

I'm not saying that would be any more original, it really wouldn't. But I'd be drawn in far more to any story about them, because they matter to the player's immediate survival far more.

"Lost ancient civilization" and "the sub-humans come to kill me" are effectively sibling tropes from the adventure genre as developed by the West in the colonial era. The latter is more... charged than the former, so I vastly prefer the lost ancient civilization cliche. Besides, within SN's no violence foundation, arbitrarily aggressive roaming packs of any sapient species just doesn't fit.

I fully agree about the Precursors and everything relating to them being cliche, and I think I had the same misgivings about the story at first as you still have. I'm not sure whether I've simply accepted the inevitable or come to appreciate the variety to the gameplay the cliche nonetheless offers. There's only so much the Degasi can leave to explore, so I'm glad another takes over.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I refuse to vote because "A mix of both" isn't an option
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Like @DrownedOut i gave m opinion in the Explorers vs Survivalist thread and i stick to my position that to be more than just a good game you need a savant mix of both. To become a great game that will be remembered as one of the best (if not the best at all) Underwater game Subnautica will need a good story mode to supplement the already very beautiful world we can explore, the underwater bases we can create and the survival aspect as well.

Without good story it will remain what it already is but nothing more. Its not so bad but it can become so much more if the story/lore is well created/implemented. Im not sure so far if the Carar is related to Natural Selection's Khaaras in any way (as suggested in @Bugzapper 's Borealis Rising) but if it is .... it'll be awesome :smiley:

• ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Fluffers wrote: »

That's not refusing... you just can't vote.

Don't enable power where there is none.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    My opinion, bc I DON'T want to leave this planet anymore :blush:

Oh... I think I am a Misanthrope?!
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Fluffers wrote: »

That's not refusing... you just can't vote.

Don't enable power where there is none.

Which just proves that the vote is extremely flawed. Which is why None of the Above should be added at the bottom of every single vote be it political, marketing, or some other type of vote.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I think both, but I'm going to vote open world because of the reasons I'm about to go through.

Yes there's a story, and you can go through that story without exploring, only going to the places the story demands, and flying away at the very end That's taking the story at extreme face value. In reality, there are three-four different stories being told in this game, and one and a half you get to experience fully if you only take it all at face value:

The story with the Sunbeam can be fully explored and understood when we take the game at face value

And the Survivor's story can be explored at face value, but only half way if you don't explore the pod wrecks and pick up the PDAs.

At face value you learn nothing (much) about the Precursors and nothing (much) about the Degasi survivors. If you want to really experiance this game to it's fullest you'd do your very best to explore whilst also playing through the story. You'd be doing yourself a favour balancing the two.