(Spoilers) Extra notes about the bug where water stops being water and you walk on the ocean floor.

includeinclude aka RpTheHotrodDallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited January 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Was doing a bit of testing and determined the following information.

First, for those who don't know what this is, I'll say what the effect is and how it happens.

If you go to the moonpool at the Precursor Gun and leave via Seamoth, once you exit the Seamoth, the water stops being water and you fall, probably to your death. If you survive, you'll walk along the ocean floor.

Something extra I noticed on this, however. The water effect doesn't actually disappear. It appears to MOVE downwards in a vertical manner. If you find a deep enough part of the ocean, you'll free fall through air (despite being "underwater") until a certain point deep in the ocean and then splash down into "real" water again. It seems that whatever is causing this is essentially moving the effective water level down a few hundred meters. Once you're in the "effective water" again, swimming up will cause you to surface from the effective water, but you'll still be under the visual water level (non-effective water). Essentially, the visual appearance of water gets separated from the actual water level. Forcing yourself to die via console commands appears to fix the issue.

However, I also noticed that right after I had built a scanner room, the moment I entered my base, instead of "teleporting" into the dry area in my base, it simply teleported me outside of my base where I tried to enter. The water became ineffective again and I fell. I wasn't deep enough to see if it lowered the effective water level again, but I assume it's the same thing. I wasn't anywhere near the precursor gun at this point...I was back in the safe shallows near where my initial lifepod was. Using the kill command did NOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE. Essentially, my game would have been busted if I had saved after this happened. Thankfully, I didn't save, though it did set me back a good 2 hours of gameplay.

SIDE NOTE: How to I change my role icon on the forum? Also, holy cow, I've been a member on this site since 2003. o-O

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2017
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it decreases the sea level to either the depth of the level of the water in the Precursor moonpool, OR to twice that amount. Some minor testing should confirm or deny this.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say it decreases the sea level to either the depth of the level of the water in the Precursor moonpool, OR to twice that amount. Some minor testing should confirm or deny this.

Good theory for the same level as the moon pool, but why do you think possibly by twice the amount? I'll try testing this tomorrow if I get time.
    Instead of 'putting sea level + {number}', typo 'putting sea level - {number}? Or similar. Instead of calling the function to raise the sea level, typo to call function to lower sea level.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Instead of 'putting sea level + {number}', typo 'putting sea level - {number}? Or similar. Instead of calling the function to raise the sea level, typo to call function to lower sea level.

That's an excellent theory! :)
    One more caveat: If they use the player's current depth when entering / exiting something, then it could be a different number every time. Mark down your depth when exiting the 'moth and the depth of the sea level, and try different exit depths to see if that's the case.
  • WarvisWarvis Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226701Members
    There seems to be a variation of this bug: I parked the Cyclops in the gun-base moonpool, left via docked PRAWN suit, walked with the suit through the corridors into the main stairway - there, I exited the PRAWN and was still in water-mode: I could swim around inside the base, up the ramps and so on...

Because of that, I'm not so sure if this has to do with a global sea level, but may be more dependent on certain transition points like water surfaces, entering/exiting bases/vehicles, where the correct environment isn't properly detected.