Cyclops Resource Collection Modules

DJHonoreDJHonore Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226616Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
To whom it may concern,
I would love to see a module or modules added to the game that would allow the player to collect resources while driving the Cyclops. This could be done through a crane-like arm that can be deployed from the side(s) of the Cyclops with interchangeable heads to allow collection of different resources (ex: a large net to capture different sea life, a vacuum to collect mineral resources and perhaps other tools to allow collection of plant life. These tools would allow the player to conserve time, health, oxygen, and allow the player to essentially eliminate the need to leave the Cyclops unless the player so desires. If you like the concept, have ideas for different heads, or have anything to contribute to this concept please do so below.

Proposed "Head" types:
- Propulsion Gun-Like Head to collect fish for food as suggested by Evilsmoo
- Desalination Head as suggested by Evilsmoo
- P.R.A.W.N Docking Head as suggested by Jpop20

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited January 2017
    I would love to see this in game! However, I can imagine there might be some pushback from the community, because this would eliminate danger from resource gathering. Facing danger throughout the game is pretty important to keep the game interesting (I think). Also, you can basically do this by carrying a prawn suit around in your cyclops, you can collect resources while in the prawn suit.

If this was implemented, I think it might be cool to have the arms be interchangeable with PRAWN arms, maybe.

-EDIT-
    potential idea: I have an idea for how to maybe implement this while keeping some balance in the gameplay...
    What if the arm was a module that you could put on the cyclops that occupied the docking bay space? It would prevent you from carrying a seamoth or PRAWN, but would enable you to use the arm (hopefully with a camera on the end) to collect, drill and generally exploit resources. It would reduce your mobility, but enable the more timid people to use the cyclops as more of a base.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    potential idea: I have an idea for how to maybe implement this while keeping some balance in the gameplay...
    What if the arm was a module that you could put on the cyclops that occupied the docking bay space? It would prevent you from carrying a seamoth or PRAWN, but would enable you to use the arm (hopefully with a camera on the end) to collect, drill and generally exploit resources. It would reduce your mobility, but the more timid people to use the cyclops as more of a base.

I rarely think positively about suggestions that take from the hands-on approach, but this I like. A lot, even. More angles, more choice, no superseding. Perfect. Only question is how you should install it since you can't drive it into the Cyclops.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I've said it before: Cyclops needs a proper resource stockpile, and the ability to easily offload PRAWN inventory, either without docking, or docked. Use player-placed lockers for storing gear, and rework the locker section into a resource stockpile.

Also, the Cyclops could suck fish (propulsion-gun turret kind of deal) into a storage tank for use as food. Plus a socket to install a desalinator.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    What if the arm was a module that you could put on the cyclops that occupied the docking bay space? It would prevent you from carrying a seamoth or PRAWN, but would enable you to use the arm (hopefully with a camera on the end) to collect, drill and generally exploit resources. It would reduce your mobility, but the more timid people to use the cyclops as more of a base.

I rarely think positively about suggestions that take from the hands-on approach, but this I like. A lot, even. More angles, more choice, no superseding. Perfect. Only question is how you should install it since you can't drive it into the Cyclops.

Potentially it could be a deployable, like the size of the mobile vehicle bay. Would take up like 75% of inventory space, and you could just install it directly to the cyclops from the outside. When you got close to the cyclops, the launch bay doors would open and there would be a "install crane arm" option.
  • RayVermilionRayVermilion Join Date: 2017-01-15 Member: 226735Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    [...] the ability to easily offload PRAWN inventory, either without docking, or docked.

I fully agree with you for that part. I was looking with the Search Function if there already was a topic about this.
    You are going outside in the Depth within your PRAWN, to not be vulnerable and then you have to leave your suit to get the resources from within your storage. D:

• Jpop20Jpop20 Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221803Members
    The crane arm could also be used to pick the P.R.A.W.N up from a depth that it can't reach using its jump jets. It could be used to pick up the large resource nodes that you have to drill for with the prawn.
    Jpop20 wrote: »
    The crane arm could also be used to pick the P.R.A.W.N up from a depth that it can't reach using its jump jets. It could be used to pick up the large resource nodes that you have to drill for with the prawn.

Agree with the second point, though not with the first one. It would be great to use the crane arm to drill resource deposits, though as previously specified the crane would take up the docking bay that would otherwise be used to house a PRAWN/seamoth.
  • DJHonoreDJHonore Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226616Members
    Wow guys, I didn't think the community would be so on-board with this idea but I am pleasantly surprised. I will try to compile a list of potential "head" types from your suggestions and will post it here at a later time along with some of my own ideas. If you would like to suggest more feel free to.

DJHonore wrote: »
    If you would like to suggest more feel free to.

I think that resources collected by the arm should go directly to the ship's storage lockers. It would give them greater purpose, and further enhance the cyclops as a base.

Additionally, I think we should discuss what kind of functions the arm could serve. I think the arm should be able to have most of the functions the PRAWN arms have- E.G. grabber arm, driller arm, torpedo arm, and propulsion cannon. An idea I had for the crane arm would be that initially, it functions just like the PRAWN base arm, but with a camera on the tip of the arm (camera would be accessible as a button right next to the camera button on the cyclops HUD). You would be able to craft arms for it (potentially it could use the arms that the PRAWN uses right now), and you would be able to put them on the crane arm from inside the cyclops. Once equipped with an arm, I think the crane should have the function of that arm and the functionality of the initial "hand" arm (which would make it so you could drill and pick up resources at the same time).

As for a model, I noticed that there was this arm model just lying around a wreck in the shallows. Maybe a larger version of it could function as the crane arm model?
    bv58t6kbzzl8.jpg
    1qv620ek4nj8.jpg
    24vjcmuxidwk.jpg
    n9rp9uc6fzv4.jpg
  • DJHonoreDJHonore Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226616Members
    DJHonore wrote: »
    If you would like to suggest more feel free to.

Additionally, I think we should discuss what kind of functions the arm could serve. I think the arm should be able to have most of the functions the PRAWN arms have- E.G. grabber arm, driller arm, torpedo arm, and propulsion cannon. An idea I had for the crane arm would be that initially, it functions just like the PRAWN base arm, but with a camera on the tip of the arm (camera would be accessible as a button right next to the camera button on the cyclops HUD). You would be able to craft arms for it (potentially it could use the arms that the PRAWN uses right now), and you would be able to put them on the crane arm from inside the cyclops. Once equipped with an arm, I think the crane should have the function of that arm and the functionality of the initial "hand" arm (which would make it so you could drill and pick up resources at the same time).

As for a model, I noticed that there was this arm model just lying around a wreck in the shallows. Maybe a larger version of it could function as the crane arm model?
    bv58t6kbzzl8.jpg
    1qv620ek4nj8.jpg
    24vjcmuxidwk.jpg
    n9rp9uc6fzv4.jpg

I love it, if only the devs would make it so.
    bumping/necroing this thread because I really like this idea