(XB1) Power Lines and Multiple Bases

dontlooknow222dontlooknow222 Join Date: 2017-01-01 Member: 225854Members
I currently operate out of a base in the Shallows right by the pod. Moon pool, greenhouse, scanner room, the whole nine yards. I also have the three story aquarium building right next door. The five solar panels and single bioreactor at the main building do alright, but power can get pretty low if and when I'm running my two water filtering units. I have the schematics for both the thermal generator and power transmitter and the big vent between the kelp forests is a stone's throw from my base. I got two generators set up as close to the vent as I could place them and ran a daisy chain of transmitters uphill towards the base, eight or so.

The aquarium is on the doorstep of my HQ and my power line, going straight from the thermal vent, led me right to the aquarium. I tried placing a transmitter on a pillar, intending to run the power line up and around the aquarium since I don't really need the power there. Though clearly inside the range at which it can transmit, the power will not transfer to a transmitter on the cliff above the aquarium. I swear it's close enough.

So I'm thinking the problem is that the power is already being directed to the aquarium, so it can't split off towards the main building. I can take a few minutes and rearrange it to go completely around the aquarium, it'll just take longer. I guess it's less of a question than it is a PSA: if you've got two separate buildings really close to one another, power transmitters will only direct to one.

Comments

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Correct, power transmitters only go from a power source to a base, not from base to base. You might relieve some power problems by removing one of the filtering units. If you need a little more water, farm some bladderfish in either your big aquarium or a new dedicated one.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Try to also get the disinfected water. It needs bleach, made from common coral samples (the big coral you can swin inside - use the knife on it) and salt (or magnesium, made from salt). When playing on survival, I always went for disinfected water.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Try to also get the disinfected water. It needs bleach, made from common coral samples (the big coral you can swin inside - use the knife on it) and salt (or magnesium, made from salt). When playing on survival, I always went for disinfected water.

The problem with disinfected water is it conflicts with cured fish and first aid kits. So it is a problem of do you want more food, more water, or more healing for excursions? Water can be dealt with by using bladderfish and first aid kits can be stockpiled from the lifepod and medical kit fabricators, but non-perishable food is limited to cured fish and nutrient blocks.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    But the scarcity of salt is solved by the water filtration machine. You will always have more salt than you will ever need.
    But the scarcity of salt is solved by the water filtration machine. You will always have more salt than you will ever need.

Water Filtration Machines have their own problems with power consumption and the location of the blueprint. Water Filtration Machines might be good enough for the mid game and end game to create more water, but for the early game it is useless. Also, there is the issue about whether it is necessary to convert salt from the Water Filtration Machine to make more water. There is already 100 water from the Big Filtered Water, then that is another 80 water from the Disinfected Water. Then add an Alien Containment filled with Bladderfish and a player is drowning in drinkable water. One of the problems with Disinfected Water is that it requires Coral Tubes. Coral Tubes are limited to the Safe Shallows, Crash Zone, and Kelp Forest so it limits where a base can be placed without having to make Coral Sample runs. With just the Water Filtration Machine and/or Alien Containment filled with Bladderfish, self-sustainability is almost guaranteed. Add some Reginalds to the Alien Containment, build a Bioreactor and Interior Growbed full of Lantern Fruit, and complete self-sustainability is achieved in any biome.

For a person that knows what they are doing, they could get the Water Filtration Machine in an hour or two by building a Rad Suit, Repair Tool, Seaglide, and Scanner, then grabbing a Seamoth fragment and Mobile Vehicle Bay fragments before going to the Seamoth bay in the Aurora to grab the remaining Seamoth fragments and pressure compensator, and then building a Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth to get to the Jellyshroom Base. However, it will take hours before most players get to the Jellyshroom Base.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Maybe the water filtration machine needs a 'low power mode' where it runs at 50% speed using 50% of normal power?
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    You can totally pipe your way into the Jellyshroom caves. Save the Seaglide batteries until you are at the end of the pipe, then swim to the base with extra tanks.

The Bioreactor I see as a power source for a minimal base, not for a water filtration machine. The BR can get the base producing oxygen and run an occasional fabricator.

For the filtration machine I use thermals or a nuclear reactor.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    4x solar + bioreactor seems ok if you are careful (feed bioreactor with lantern fruit).
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    4x solar + bioreactor seems ok if you are careful (feed bioreactor with lantern fruit).

O.o I prefer to go with marble melon. Lantern fruit only give 65 energy and they take up 4 slots a piece. Marble Melons give 110 energy and take up the same amount of space, you're practically doubling your energy output length by using marble melons. Both lantern fruit and marble melons can be gotten from the same place, take a sample back with you and then plant them in indoor planters.

O.o I prefer to go with marble melon. Lantern fruit only give 65 energy and they take up 4 slots a piece. Marble Melons give 110 energy and take up the same amount of space, you're practically doubling your energy output length by using marble melons. Both lantern fruit and marble melons can be gotten from the same place, take a sample back with you and then plant them in indoor planters.

Lantern Fruit is plant and forget while it is just too easy to lose the Marblemelon plants by picking all of them and eating or using them in the Bioreactor instead of cutting one of them for the seeds. Then there is the issue of replanting them after harvesting them. Lantern Fruit are far easier to use compared to Marblemelons.
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    I just gather less useful fish. When I was using bioreactors in the GR/DGR to fetch my pressure compensator, I just gathered an inventory full of spadefish. Each is slightly more than a marblemelon(2x a lantern fruit), and you can stuff 4x in the same amount of space.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    starkaos wrote: »

Lantern Fruit is plant and forget while it is just too easy to lose the Marblemelon plants by picking all of them and eating or using them in the Bioreactor instead of cutting one of them for the seeds. Then there is the issue of replanting them after harvesting them. Lantern Fruit are far easier to use compared to Marblemelons.

Don't have that problem when I have a large indoor planter bed right next to my bioreactor. Marble Melon seeds are 1x1 so you can plant 16 of them, they only become 2x2 once you harvest them. Even better though is having a alien containment unit in the next room full of large creatures you can just toss in the thing to produce lots of energy over time.