Has anyone managed to scan a Reaper Leviathan?

Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
If yes, do you get stopped at airport security for your titanium balls?

Comments

• RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    Mr357 wrote: »
    If yes, do you get stopped at airport security for your titanium balls?

I'm afraid the reaper is currently unscannable (is that a word?). Most things in the shallows, kelp forest, red grass and mushroom forest biomes are scannable, but scanning for the rest (/most) of the creatures is coming in the next update.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    you can just lock it in a stasis bubble for up to 12 or 15 seconds scan a bit and pop stasis again and repeat.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited January 2016
    lorcogoth wrote: »
    you can just lock it in a stasis bubble for up to 12 or 15 seconds scan a bit and pop stasis again and repeat.

Hmmm, never thought of that. I simply had no use for the rifle but this seems to be a good reason to craft one. I guess Mr357 meant without(!) such cheating tools. Like slipping into a hole and waiting for the beast to come. Hehe
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    lxh wrote: »
    I simply had no use for the rifle but this seems to be a good reason to craft one.

Exactly, I'm gonna need this more for scanning these harmful creatures
  • DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members
    lorcogoth wrote: »

Tried that when the update first came out. I don't think you can scan it yet.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    It's unscannable at the moment.
  • AbyssLightAbyssLight Guess where? Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211803Members
    Tried to scan one yesterday in the dune region. I knew it wasn't scannable yet, but....well, I wanted to see how it would react. Hadn't seen one before, so....
    Well, it swooped at me and bit me once. Then, it just decided to continue circling around once I put some distance between it and myself. Made it back home safely after observing it for about a minute or two.
    I don't see what all the fuss is about these "fearsome" leviathans. I don't know if the ones around Aurora have a worse temper, though.
    edited January 2016
    AbyssLight wrote: »
    Tried to scan one yesterday in the dune region. I knew it wasn't scannable yet, but....well, I wanted to see how it would react. Hadn't seen one before, so....
    Well, it swooped at me and bit me once. Then, it just decided to continue circling around once I put some distance between it and myself. Made it back home safely after observing it for about a minute or two.
    I don't see what all the fuss is about these "fearsome" leviathans. I don't know if the ones around Aurora have a worse temper, though.

Hmmm, they must have changed it. The wiki says: The Reaper Leviathan is able to instantly kill any players it attacks outside of their submarine. And that seemed to be correct till now. What's your game mode?
  • AbyssLightAbyssLight Guess where? Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211803Members
    Well, it wasn't a direct hit. I almost dodged the leviathan as it lunged for me. And it left me about 10% health, if I remember correctly. Maybe a little bit more.
    They do enough damage to kill you easily, but this one didn't one-hit me.
    And I play on Freedom. There shouldn't be any difference in the damage the creatures do between Freedom and Survival, as far as I know.

Also, don't get my previous post the wrong way. The reaper leviathan is deadly, but it isn't halfway as scary or aggressive (it didn't bother attacking me again after I retreated about 10-15 meters back and continued to observe it.) as people make it out to be.
    Thanks for that information! I must admit, I wasn't in the mood yet .. to play Russian roulette with them on hardcore mode. Hehe
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I don't see what all the fuss is about these "fearsome" leviathans.

They are unique in their ability to grab and completely wreck your seamoth if you don't have a defense field or torpedoes. Plus the respectable 80hp bite makes them extra dangerous in areas that have other threats (biterfish , crawlers , the aurora's molten metal drops)

If they were more persistent in their hunt (I guess they should) it would be very hard to survive them outside a cyclops.
  • PunkeroPunkero Finland Join Date: 2015-04-22 Member: 203733Members
    I couldn't even scan the biterfish :|
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The stasis gun should lock into creatures, then charging time depends on creature size and a signal comes when the charge is enough to capture the creature. In case of small fish a single button is enough, but in case of the reaper leviathan it should take max load. The sea dragon should be out of scope.

So to scan a sea dragon you might either need a seamoth scanner module or upgrade the scan range of the scanner at the modification workbench.

Nevertheless I'm exited to get new stuff to scan like the reaper leviathan. Maybe its more challenging to disallow scanning things inside stasis and rather improve the scanning range a bit with upgrades, so you are left with a risk when you scan, unlike scanning a creature in stasis.
  • Hydrowolf391Hydrowolf391 . Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219709Members
    edited March 2017
    I have! Basically, here's how it went down...

I found one of the abandoned lifepods in Survival mode, Lifepod 4 (the one hanging upside down in the Crash Zone) I think, and went in through the hole punched in the side to collect the useful items left within. Somehow I didn't hear or see the Reaper essentially circling around it. I was stuck in the overturned lifepod with a Reaper just outside, slowly running out of air, with no vehicles (it was early in the game), carrying important items scavenged from my trip to the Aurora that would be lost if I died. Luckily there was a tiiiiiny "bubble" of air at the top that I could actually breath from, so that problem was solved.
    I waited and watched the Reaper circle, waiting for a good opening that might just let me escape. Eventually I mustered up the courage to venture just outside the lifepod, make the Reaper charge toward me, and rush back to safety to see if it would be able to phase through the walls and grab me. Thankfully it couldn't! I kept doing this, luring the Reaper toward the lifepod and scanning it when it was close enough until the scan was complete. I was stupidly happy about that.
    Eventually I was actually able to escape! No warping, no vehicles, no anything. Thank god.

Yeah, I know I didn't freely approach a Reaper to scan it but... Hey, I technically did it!

EDIT: Oh gosh. I'm sorry...I didn't notice the date (I'm an idiot okay) and am new here so I didn't know the policy on necros anyway.... Agh.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

I found one of the abandoned lifepods in Survival mode, Lifepod 4 (the one hanging upside down in the Crash Zone) I think, and went in through the hole punched in the side to collect the useful items left within. Somehow I didn't hear or see the Reaper essentially circling around it. I was stuck in the overturned lifepod with a Reaper just outside, slowly running out of air, with no vehicles (it was early in the game), carrying important items scavenged from my trip to the Aurora that would be lost if I died. Luckily there was a tiiiiiny "bubble" of air at the top that I could actually breath from, so that problem was solved.
    I waited and watched the Reaper circle, waiting for a good opening that might just let me escape. Eventually I mustered up the courage to venture just outside the lifepod, make the Reaper charge toward me, and rush back to safety to see if it would be able to phase through the walls and grab me. Thankfully it couldn't! I kept doing this, luring the Reaper toward the lifepod and scanning it when it was close enough until the scan was complete. I was stupidly happy about that.
    Eventually I was actually able to escape! No warping, no vehicles, no anything. Thank god.

Yeah, I know I didn't freely approach a Reaper to scan it but... Hey, I technically did it!

Cool story, but...

Look at the date this thread was created.

This is more than a year old.

I wish you luck against the necro callers.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Skope wrote: »

Cool story, but...

Skope wrote: »

Cool story, but...

Seriously, someone who did that is not going to be bothered by someone complaining about an old thread being reactivated!
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I was able to scan a Reaper Leviathan with minimal effort (and without cheating). I was on my way to the Aurora, with materials to build the Seamoth but I needed power cells. I stopped off at Lifepod 4 and was examining it when I heard a ROOOOARRRR! I managed to avoid being eaten but the Leviathan would not leave and kept swimming to try and attack me.

What was interesting was that even though it's head would clip through the life pod, it couldn't damage me. So I took the opportunity to scan it's head when it came close to the opening. It took several minutes, but it was nice to get the database entry without console commands for once o:)
  • SushiDiver500SushiDiver500 Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217686Members
    I finally managed to do it after x attemps of busting my ass.
    Took it as a challenge when i say this post and decided to try with nothing but a scanner in my iventory (and rad suit).
    Thats an hour of my life i will never get back. Wasted.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Old thread, stop commenting we all know it is scannable now.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Ok , now go scan the sea dragon. HAVE FUN!
    (I tried it today - I died. I did manage to scan it, though.)
    If you want to be really aggravated trying to scan something, try to scan a rockgrub in daylight. You will waste many precious minutes of your life until you give up. (yes, you can scan it.)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    lxh wrote: »

Hmmm, they must have changed it. The wiki says: The Reaper Leviathan is able to instantly kill any players it attacks outside of their submarine. And that seemed to be correct till now. What's your game mode?

He probably had the reinforced dive suit. Not that it helps against the sea dragon though.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I scanned both leviathans on my 24+ hour hardcore save. The hardest part was willing myself to exit the cyclops and look onrushing, shrieking death in the eye.
    Having that monstrosity so close to the cyclops hatch was nerve-wracking, I kept thinking he'd be able to grab me when I retreated back inside. Luckily, he couldn't quite reach.

Q7OGN4O.jpg

The sea dragon was actually easier to scan, it took no notice of me until I was pretty close. I was able to dodge the fireballs before stunning it.

LCBhh6O.jpg
  • Vyurr327Vyurr327 US Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228367Members
    edited February 2017
    So when I was watching the Reaper that had moved into the Shallows yesterday and chased after it with just a Seaglide, Scanner and a bunch of Medkits and scanned it, that was epic?
    I think what really help was it being in the shallows and it getting hung up on the environment.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    You can scan a leviathan if it is on a stasis bubble or dead. I will scan the damned reaper that passed and made my cyclops tilt.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I just kill them with the Cyclops and scan afterwards. No sense in risk being fish food.
  • wasabi1wasabi1 Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228343Members
    edited February 2017
    you can scan him by using the stasis rifle to stop him in place, making it much easier, scan, and repeat.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    Stasis Rifle, Scanner, 'nuff said. (mic drop)
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    God damn it, just let this ancient thread RIP in peace already
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    This is the thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends...