Learn To Count

daHobdaHob Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4108Members
<div class="IPBDescription">one marine... two marine...</div> This might be second nature to everyone else, but I've picked up a useful habit that I thought I'd pass along.

When ever I die and am waiting for respawn, I quickly jump through the views of all the other aliens to get a look at the hotspots. While I'm doing this I get a count in my head of the number of marines present. When I spawn, I quickly check the scoreboard. If I see 8 baby blue marine names, but only accounted for 4 or 5, that means half the marines are unaccounted for!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather know they were holding a hive than not know where they are at all. If a significant number are unaccounted for, I do a quick sweep of all the hive and seige points. I've nipped a lot of marine assualts in the bud this way.

Hob

Comments

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
  • TorgoTorgo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11626Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> nice<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice way to up the post count...wait...that's what I just did...
  • CrisqoCrisqo Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11625Members
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • Error404Error404 Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9353Members
  • os_mongoos_mongo Join Date: 2003-02-06 Member: 13197Members
  • WindelkronWindelkron Join Date: 2002-04-11 Member: 419Members
  • RuddiggerRuddigger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13095Members
  • civman2civman2 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6116Members, Constellation
  • SeaHawkSeaHawk Join Date: 2003-02-03 Member: 13049Members
    That's an excellent idea to add.

My personal tactic when I die is before I click out to get a quick sweep of the area around me to see where the enemy has emplaced items, especially at an initial rush. It can mean the difference between running right for the TF and getting waxed, or running left and managing to get a few bites on it.
  • AllUrHiveRblong2usAllUrHiveRblong2us By Your Powers Combined... Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11244Members
  • DarkWulfDarkWulf Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4662Members
    clever.

no really it is.

Although generally speaking I don't see multiple marines. In fact, I rarely see more than one... (as a skulk engages or something. Which are generally fairly fast fights)
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
  • nnynny Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7440Members
    this is how marine base rushes work out well - wait until some leave and if you're told it's a good amount sighted out in the map, head in. but like that's going to get coordinated on a pub most of the time.
  • BlueGhostBlueGhost Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10337Members
    Mods can we get this cleaned up? Its rediculas having about 10 spam posts.

ANnnnywhoo

I find it more important to use the teamview to spot 'holes'.

If no-ones in messhall and there's no major marine forces moving out then I'll spawn and check messhall.

Keeping an eye on the scoreboard is always vital, if someone reins then dies immidiatly it means you've got a camper in your hive room who needs to be bitten.

BlueGhost
  • GargamelGargamel Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11773Members
    Yes, the game enables for someone to know whats going on around him. Trying to catch some intelligence by spectating a little around when you re spawning back should be a common procedure.
    Aliens got superior strategic visualisation, as Marines never see their mates on minimap or as dots.
    And we all should at least use the Communication Menu ya know! I miss that! I only hear that freaking comm, i need health! The Interface is so well made, instead of typing try using it a little more !
  • SmithboySmithboy Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10964Members
    Oh yes, in Half-Life I use the scores menu all the time. As an example in Natural Selection, I check and if I see that most of the marine team is dead except for 1, then the base was just rushed and I should get there incase they use the emergency beacon or perhaps the comm or a new spawner comes out and finishes the weakened attack. Of course the communication between the team can help this, but that's just one little example.

In Counter-Strike I check to see how many enemies are left and can figure if it's my teammate around the corner or an enemy. An example is if there is one enemy left and I see that a teammate was just killed far away (or a teammate tells me he spotted the enemy) then I can just run towards the general area and not have to guard myself or check all those corners until I get close enough to get cautious again.