Tutorials...

SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
<div class="IPBDescription">Looking for resources...</div> OK, so I'm starting to get bored with the current maps and I want to try my hand at map making. I dabbled a bit back 2-3 years ago with TFC but haven't done anything since.

I've already installed Hammer 3.4 and the other needed tools. I'm more looking for a tutorial that will run me through a simple map, and that way I can get the hang of it. (I learn FAST)

If there is nothing for NS, then perhaps there might be a nice one for TFC, and then once I get back into the swing of it I can come back and ask about any NS particulars.

Any helpful hints are apreciated.

Regards,

Savant

Comments

• HeistHeist Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7922Members
    edited February 2003
    Read the sticky threads... There's plenty there. Try Chromeangel's site (link in the FAQ) for entity and other NS considerations and check out 69th Vlatitude if you need help with actual mapping.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    As I said, I need a little bit of lead on the actual mapping aspect. I read the stickies and they basically assume a person can map already. If anyone has links to any sites that can help a person get started, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Savant
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    www.vladitude.com

for genral hl editing it cant be beat
    also has a links section
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    see the linkspage in my sig for starting mapping.

but a good beginner tutorial is:
    <a href='http://www.thewavelength.net/oldsite/levels/' target='_blank'>wavelength beginner tutorials</a>
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Seems to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Regards,

Savant
    Just need one more bit of help.

What is the minimum map setup I need to have in order to test my NS maps? (IE, any entities that I have to have before the map will load for testing purposes - even though the map may be incomplete?)

Regards,

Savant
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    Hmm. I think to find it in the hl lan games list it has to have the info_gamplay in there. I would recommend a spawn for each team and one for the ready room, commander view limit ent and one hive. (and a team command of course).
  • Arch-NemesisArch-Nemesis Join Date: 2003-02-09 Member: 13324Members
    Thank you everyone for helping Savant, in turn you are helping me. Which helps..
    I pretty much have the same problem Savant has. I checked most of the webbed posts, sites, etc., but some sites' tutorials assume you know something about mapping. (I DO, but not very muhc. I can't seem to grasp certain aspects of light_spot which is annoying due to its neccessity in some of my map ideas).
    Oh well, but again, thanks. And thanks Savant for stating the problem in such a great way. YAY!
  • DelarosaDelarosa Naturally Custom Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10214Members, NS1 Playtester
    i've got a more NS-specific map tutorial site on my bookmarks back in the dorms, i'll post it up for ya once i get back to my school....