Some Quick Help For Me...

Ben128Ben128 Join Date: 2002-06-21 Member: 808Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">A MAX_MAP_MIPTEX issue.</div> ----- BEGIN hlcsg -----
Command line: C:\PROGRA~1\ZONERS~1\hlcsg.exe C:\Sierra\Half-Life\ns\maps\ns_genesis

-= Current hlcsg Settings =-
Name | Setting | Default
---------------------|-----------|-------------------------
threads [ 1 ] [ Varies ]
verbose [ off ] [ off ]
log [ on ] [ on ]
developer [ 0 ] [ 0 ]
chart [ off ] [ off ]
estimate [ off ] [ off ]
max texture memory [ 4194304 ] [ 4194304 ]
priority [ Normal ] [ Normal ]

noclip [ off ] [ off ]
onlyents [ off ] [ off ]
wadtextures [ on ] [ on ]
skyclip [ on ] [ on ]
hullfile [ None ] [ None ]
min surface area [ 0.500 ] [ 0.500 ]
brush union threshold [ 0.000 ] [ 0.000 ]

Wadinclude list :
[zhlt.wad]

entering C:\Sierra\Half-Life\ns\maps\ns_genesis.map
CreateBrush:
10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%... (20.88 seconds)
SetModelCenters:
10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%... (0.00 seconds)
CSGBrush:
10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%... (6.19 seconds)
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\valve\halflife.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\valve\xeno.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\valve\liquids.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\valve\decals.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\wall_lab.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\hallwall_1.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\decals.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns_nothing.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns_hera.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns_eclipse.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns_bast.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\ns_tanith.wad
Using WAD File: \sierra\half-life\ns\v_wad.wad
added 18 additional animating textures.
Error: Exceeded MAX_MAP_MIPTEX
Description: Texture memory usage on the map has exceeded the limit
Howto Fix: Merge similar textures, remove unused textures from the map

The texture memory will be decreased if I increase the texture size by ratio correct? So if I get rid of a few un-needed brushes and a increase a few of my lesser seen textures sizes that should rememdy itself. Any advice how to fix this?

Comments

• ChromeAngelChromeAngel Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 14Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Your problem is not the scale you've streached your textures to, you have simply used too many textures. Remove some textures by replacing them with ones you've already used.
  • Ben128Ben128 Join Date: 2002-06-21 Member: 808Members, Constellation
    Crap...I will really have to get a common theme then. How the hec you guys manage to get your levels so diverse looking and yet use so few textures is beyond me. I have about 5 texture "sets" that I have been using...as well as a couple of small textures here and there. Any advice for me? I still have alot of work to do then. I think I will rework my RR, and chage my weather control station(uses 6 textures in that one room).

How many textures do you guys use per room on average(a guess)?
    How many per map?

Is there anyway to see the current memory used from my textures, so I can know my limits better?

Any way to squeeze in those few extras?

How do you keep a diverse look to the map?
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    texture mem is made up of how many different textures you used x the ORIGINAL size of the texture. stretching has nothing to do with it.

example: you chose between a 128x128 texture and 256x256 texture for wall. realize the 256 one is 4x as much mem as the 128 texture.

example 2: you decide between using a 64x64 texture in 4 places, or using 4 different 64x64 textures. realize that using the same texture 4x = 1 mem use, but using 4 different textures = 4x the mem used.

example 3: choosing between an animated wall, and a blah fixed wall texture. the animated may take 10x as many frames = 10x the texture mem. blah doesn't look so blah any more!

tricks to reduce texture usage:
    - use smaller textures when you can. you can get 4 different 64x64 for the price of one 128x128.
    - reuse the same texture in different spots.
    - use 2 textures in one. If you need a 48x96 texture to fit a planned brush, put it on a 64x128, and only use part of the space. in the remainder 16x128 side or the or 64x32 space you could place another texture. Then both of these textures would look sharp when their part was placed on a brush without resizing, and yet you would make maximum usage of the memory used. This would not work for tiling textures, of course.
    - flip a texture, or rotate it to make it look a bit different, or vary the lighting.
    - avoid animated textures, it is like spending 4-10 textures to get one effect. if you must do it, keep it small. you can get 2 series of 8 32x32 animated frames for the price of one 128x128.
    - THINK.
  • Ben128Ben128 Join Date: 2002-06-21 Member: 808Members, Constellation
    edited February 2003
    Thanks dude, that was what I am looking for. I always have had a bad habit of choosing something and then charging into it head on.
    Dont get me wrong, I planed the entire layout,build the entire map, and now I am laying textures. So I am doing ok, but I realize how hard its going to be to get this to be what I want it to. Thanks guys. I think I am almost ready to post some screen shots, once I get this problem fixed.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->- THINK.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Roger that....

One thing I have noticed also, is I keep see whating is wrong and making adjustments. I noticed how little I had of elevation changes. SO I added some lifts and ramps, and stairs. I want it to be perfect, but its fustrating for me, I can design good architexture(IMO), but I cant visualize what I want for textures.
  • Cash_Car_StarCash_Car_Star Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6448Members
    One way to get different looking rooms with similar themes to mix and match your wall and light textures, as well as general room shape. One corridorish room with a wall texture and minimal red lighting won't look the same as a larger, squarish room, with the same wall texture but strong white lighting.
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ben128+Feb 21 2003, 12:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ben128 @ Feb 21 2003, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I noticed how little I had of elevation changes. SO I added some lifts and ramps, and stairs. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    be careful. a ramp is better for r_speeds and compiling than stairs, and uses less entitys than a lift/elevator.

a ramp has one topside face that will be only a few wpolys, and a few leaf nodes. stairs have lots of little tops & side faces = more small wpolys & more leafnodes = more work in compile. best to func wall stairs, it helps compiles.
  • ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    One thing I noticed no-one else answered was that you asked how to see the current texture usage. When your map compiles (successfully) scroll up to the vis section, and it'll say "texture usage x.xxmeg/4.096meg" or something similar.