Custom Sounds

RattrapRattrap Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13661Members
hey people I have a simple question. How do I make it so that when clients connect to my server they have to download some sounds. I know for specific maps you use a .res file to list the files that should be downloaded, but what about for the whole server in general, not dependant on map?

-Rattrap

Comments

• Eternal_BlissEternal_Bliss Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7633Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited March 2003
    just put the files and they will download them
  • RattrapRattrap Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13661Members
    um I really don't understand what you mean by that.

-Rattrap
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    pu t the files into sounds/misc then addthem to the .res files in the maps dir.
  • Eternal_BlissEternal_Bliss Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7633Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--QuoteBegin--cracker jackmac+Mar 6 2003, 01:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (cracker jackmac @ Mar 6 2003, 01:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> pu t the files into sounds/misc then addthem to the .res files in the maps dir. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    he want's general sounds, you do not need to add them to the .res afaik..
  • CaucasianCaucasian Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9993Members
    Them made the Audio Tracking plugin that forced clients to download wav's. Something like that may work...
  • SpiritMasterSpiritMaster Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7580Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2003
    There are two major problems with using custom sounds on a server.

1) Unless you overwrite the files of the same name, they will download them but they wont USE them, since maps specify the names of the sound files to use in the .bsp during the compiling of the .map be they map speficic or the generic NS sound files.

2) Assuming for the moment that the above is not a problem for you, remeber that the minute they join a server using the base sounds or their own custom sounds, the client will have to download them all over again, which most clients are unwilling to do.
  • SuicideDogSuicideDog Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8104Members
    You can make a plugin with AMX that uses the preache function. It's what I do for all my plugins.