Lerk And Skybox...

RR_Co-NRR_Co-N Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10524Members
<div class="IPBDescription">yeah its kinda lame.</div> Before a certain somebody posts his homemade lerk+skybox=lame when he sees my map, i would like to ask for some suggestions to counter the lameness of an invisible wall in the sky. =P

Everybody wants skies above while battling it out with skulks and fades comming from the woods or hills, right?

What can we do to counter this problem?
Is it really such a big problem?

Anybody wanna brainstorm with me?

-Is there a brush that can kill energy to prevent lerks from commign that high?
They would fall back each time they almost reach the top.

-An energy field would be a solution but it kinda kills the idea of skies above. It would make it just another room with an energy ceiling....

-trees. Leaves that hang just under the skybox, conceiling the lerk bumping against the skybox to spectators. This aint a solution for the player itself but just for onlookers. Also kinda blocks of the view of the sky. Keeping the trees to a minimum can make it look ok..?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    There is a brush entity that huurts or healt (with negative hurting amount).
    You could also cover the skybox with a Ckip brush because skulks cant blimb clip brushes.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ollj+Apr 27 2003, 01:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ollj @ Apr 27 2003, 01:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You could also cover the skybox with a Ckip brush because skulks cant blimb clip brushes. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    AFAIK and if I'm not mistaken, ZHLT adds CLIP automatically to the SKY brushes.
  • blue2kblue2k Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4025Members
    what about simply adding a crosshatch texture to the sky and set the rendermode like glass and simply call it a anti meteorite barrier or something similar? seems plausable. then if you are deflected from it it would make sense.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--[RR] Co-N+Apr 27 2003, 11:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([RR] Co-N @ Apr 27 2003, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Everybody wants skies above while battling it out with skulks and fades comming from the woods or hills, right? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ....no.

Nothing like a hill and woods to kill the NS atmosphere.
  • RR_Co-NRR_Co-N Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10524Members
    why would that kill the NS atmosphere?

Alien vegetation would be cool if you ask me. Those starships and spacestation we fight in now must land somewhere and spread the hive right? Hera is set on a planet and to me it would rock if the battle could take place on that nice looking landing platform outside...

I know it aint possible to create large open areas but being outside every now and then might help our claustrophobic friends in the community. =P

Anyways, keep them suggestions flowing.
    thnx.
  • DEADscottDEADscott Join Date: 2003-03-29 Member: 15022Members, Constellation
    Take a look at a map called ns_canyonwars. The sky is kinda low and the open areas are long. Which make lerks easy prey. Kinda like duck hunting.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    What about a multi layered func_push or whatever its called. **** the layers go up the push becomes stronger, and the final layer is a clip?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--[RR] Co-N+Apr 27 2003, 03:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([RR] Co-N @ Apr 27 2003, 03:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> why would that kill the NS atmosphere? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, look at the offical NS maps. Those maps are the epitomy of NS atmosphere. Claustrophobic coridors. Blinking lights. Machinery. Pipes spewing jets of steam.

Now tell me how a hilly wood fits in with all of that.
    edited April 2003
    We as Marines just cleared out Space Station Europa. Headed back to Earth for some R&R. Alarms sound! Fades on our ship?!?! How?!?! Ship out of control, crashes into woods in Wisconsin. Watch out CheeseHeads!
    Maybe I should roll one more and head off to Fan-Fiction forum.
    P.S. I live in Wisconsin, so please dont flame me.
  • kidquantumkidquantum Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5747Members
    edited April 2003
    Give new ideas a chance. Just because an outdoor map might not fit the "atmosphere" of NS, doesn't make it an invalid map. I have a personal reason to this claim: my map ns_surface is largely outdoor, and I believe I achieved this with success. Sure, lerks collide with an invisible ceiling. Does that make the map not fun? Maybe for some people. But I've heard a lot of people asking for an outdoor map, so I made one and lots of people enjoy it. Yes, it does mean that the gameplay will change and you will have to develop different strategies. I consider that a good thing.

As for the technical side, why go to great pains to make some reason for the sky being solid? It's a game, and people understand mysterious invisible walls like this. They're in most games, and NS doesn't claim to be real life. And yes, skulks seem to be able to climb up both clip and sky brushes sometimes (I think only for clients). Perhaps this will be fixed. But otherwise, skulks can climb on sky, and is this so wrong? They're aliens! Perhaps they have the ability to hover at a certain altitude, who are we to say?

Well thanks for listening to my rant, and if you're intrigued go download surface =)
    <a href='http://surface.jakrabbit.org/maps.htm' target='_blank'>http://surface.jakrabbit.org/maps.htm</a>
    Putting it on our server now. 198.247.231.15:27019
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    edited April 2003
    how about a storm with clouds on top.
    The wind explains a trigger_push and some randomly appearing thunders from cloud to clout make the air really dangerous!!!
    Inon storms can have random color and werid behaviour.
    Put it up and played it 3 times. 2 hours total. 12 players give or take a few at times. First game we mostly just walked around. and blasted ourselves out of the BIG GUN. Marines fly far from it! Maps alot bigger than I thought, it looks very nice. Game play was pretty fair with the 2/1 Marines win. But like I said Aliens spent alot of time playing with the BIG GUN. We thought this was just another fun map, but it turned out to be some pretty good playing. Nice layout, nice battles. Pretty darn good map! It will be included in our NEW MAP FRIDAY this week. Thanks for the Kool map!
  • Gimpy_Doodly_DooGimpy_Doodly_Doo Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14521Members
    Have multilayer func_hurt. as you go up the Air becomes more and more toxic. this way it would kill all jp/lerk/skulks. It would do more damage the farther you got up to the point where it would be impossible to get to the top.
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    yes, don't make an outdoor map.
  • JedediahJedediah Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12847Members
    I think the func_hurt thing would be more annoying than nothing at all. The func_push thing might work but then skulks climbing up walls would be pushed down as well. Gamers don't like being patronized.

I second the opinion that there is nothing wrong with an invisible sky barrier. It certainly doesn't lower the stadard of realism in NS from what it already is. Take a look at the people actually playing this game.. they are not exactly caught up in the narrative aspect of NS, they just want a fun multiplayer experience. That's why the "fun maps" are so popular with NS.. they tend to be more varied and strategic than the standard maps which essentially all play the same.
  • ParasiteParasite Join Date: 2002-04-13 Member: 431Members
    edited April 2003
    <!--QuoteBegin--Lazer+Apr 27 2003, 04:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Lazer @ Apr 27 2003, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What about a multi layered func_push or whatever its called. **** the layers go up the push becomes stronger, and the final layer is a clip? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is exactly what I was going to do for my map exept the pushes pushed the player vertically into a trigger hurt (they actually get "slammed into the wall" by the wind)...it ends up being too or many too big entities. Exactly what you dont want to happen scince a decent looking outdoor area is already pushing the boundaries on other fronts. And if your "room" is small enough that the entities dont add up, it probably wont be a very good outdoor area anyway, so ya may as well put a window/force feild/whatever over it.
  • RR_Co-NRR_Co-N Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10524Members
    Maybe an invisible wall isnt that bad BUT you alienate people that dont like invisible walls from your map. Would be great if everybody likes your map (not really possible but still as many people as possible).

Func_push sounds great but may end up feeling the same as an invisible wall that pushes you away when you ar near it..?