Public 1.1

CronoSergeCronoSerge Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14228Members
<div class="IPBDescription">When, if ever?</div> It seems to me the vets and PTs are being slow about their testing so they can have NS 1.1 all to themselves. From all I've been reading about their feedback to each other, it sounds like 1.1s is a very balanced version of NS. Almost every tactic imaginable is counterable by some effective means. Balance changes can be brought about a lot more quickly when 1.1 is public, so why is playtesting for bugs being wasted on balancing? Server variables may be changed for balance, but client side bugs require everyone to download the update!

Comments

• ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    I give this....

1 minute till lockdown.
  • KEm1KaL1KEm1KaL1 Lerky Lerky Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13797Members
    OK, so it lasted longer than that.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1.1 When, if ever?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When ... it s .... done ...
  • MeatMeat Join Date: 2003-06-10 Member: 17200Members
    It will be out before Duke Nukem Forever, don't worry!
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    Just in time for christmas =D Or before.
  • MagiTekMagiTek Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5057Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--CronoSerge+Jun 27 2003, 03:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CronoSerge @ Jun 27 2003, 03:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It seems to me the vets and PTs are being slow about their testing so they can have NS 1.1 all to themselves. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't honestly believe that, do you? You really think Flay, Grendel, Monse, et al would select a bunch of amazingly selfish and petty people to be playtesters? Come on, give the guys some credit.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Server variables may be changed for balance, but client side bugs require everyone to download the update<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How does this argue in favor of making the 1.1 beta public? Since client-side downloads are necessary, having too large of a testing base would be horribly chaotic.
  • ElderwyrmElderwyrm Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15296Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--MagiTek+Jun 26 2003, 10:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MagiTek @ Jun 26 2003, 10:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--CronoSerge+Jun 27 2003, 03:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (CronoSerge @ Jun 27 2003, 03:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It seems to me the vets and PTs are being slow about their testing so they can have NS 1.1 all to themselves. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't honestly believe that, do you? You really think Flay, Grendel, Monse, et al would select a bunch of amazingly selfish and petty people to be playtesters? Come on, give the guys some credit.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Server variables may be changed for balance, but client side bugs require everyone to download the update<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How does this argue in favor of making the 1.1 beta public? Since client-side downloads are necessary, having too large of a testing base would be horribly chaotic. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not like their hand picked or anything... If your in a top ten clan, and your on the list, your in! Nope, no testing for selfishnes and pettyness. Playtesters are the people I look up to, with an except for some of the vets who know WTH they are talking about.
  • WodinWodin Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17138Members
    I'd imagine the PTs are simply testing everything as they go along. Balance is just as important as squashing bugs. Particularly since a lot of the balance issues are settled through changes in game mechanics, not just through variable changes. As a 56ker, I'd be less than thrilled to have to download a new NS every week.

That said, thanks for presenting your point without excessive use of capital letters/exclamation points/random expletives/etc. I wish more people could learn to disagree in a civilized manner.
  • cr3amcr3am Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7221Members
    Quit biotching!!!!
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    We aren't going to release an unfinished product. 1.1 will come out when it's done, and no sooner.

And just like back before 1.0 was released, the playtesters were even more anxious for release than the general public was. We aren't selfishly hoarding the goods for ourselves.
This discussion has been closed.