Don't Everybody Talk At Once.

WarpZoneWarpZone Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6264Members
<div class="IPBDescription">"Mmmf Cmndr humph mrrr humpldurgumph!"</div> I played a pub game on a server where amrines were actually (albiet slowly) winning. Okay comm, great teamwork, great map. I actually managed to chew a few enemies up with an HMG HA. I noticed HAs were faster than usual, and the mecha fanboy in me LOVED the noisy clanking of our boots. I eventually left the server though because it was so god damned annoying. The problem? Mics.

Everybody, and I mean literally EVERYBODY had a microphone. Every five minutes, something would happen like a lerk would attack a turret or something, and suddenly everybody would be talking over each other. I had no idea what any of them were saying, and often the commander was one of the voices.

Another thing that bugged me was how the com apparently had his microphone on forever, never turning it off, because sounds would echo and loop through his mic. I know he was the culprit because I could hear the female CC voice very faintly and distortedly going "Your base is under attack." Every possible unpleasent NS player voice was represented, from the teen boy you can't tell if he's got braces or just a lot of static on his mic, to the aformentioned echoing commander, to the person whose voice clips so badly you can never he-- a wo-- he-- -aying. They were all there, and every time something exciting happened, they all yelled about it.

Apparently, all this verbosity was a major boon, because the marines had all KINDS of tech and huge bases, and we took over 2 hives as I was playing. I finally left though because it was just annoying the frell out of me.

So please. Commanders, find out who on your team has a mic, and if it's everybody, have them pick somebody out of the group to be the spokesperson. Everyone else has to type. Soldiers, dig in, and try to resist the urge to report every emergency, unless no one else is saying anything. The comamnder can see it for himself, and if he's good, when you come under attack, he will already have jumped to you before you have time to say anything.

Comments

• EidolanEidolan Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8694Members
    Frell? Wow you really like farscape lol. I agree with you i hate it when everyone has a mic, at lest your people had something to talk about, a base under attack ect ect. Its worse when there talking about some TV show or what happend to them at school or something.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    edited August 2003
    The greatest solution to your frustration - and I get a lot of it as well sometimes - is to go to the scoreboard, and mute the voices that you don't want to hear. I usually start with the most annoying and work my way down if my stress levels don't fall.

Mic communication is much easier than typing (and you can't afford to type in the heat of battle), so I don't see typing happening any time soon. However, the spokesperson idea is nice - that could be implemented in clan play most definitely - but not on public servers. People can't resist the urge to talk, so mute is best.
  • LoRDxDeMoNLoRDxDeMoN Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14636Members
    now that NS has a fixed mute, there's no reason not to, right?
  • SolusSolus Join Date: 2003-05-02 Member: 16015Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited August 2003
    The mute is very useful now and it's good it made it into 2.0

Just mute who has to be or everyone if you are doing something important. Whenever I sneak into a base or am guarding an important point and nothing said to me will matter, I usually mute everyone...sometimes even comm.

<span style='color:red'>Edit: Changed my post to not be so....offensive.</span>
  • KissamiesKissamies Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4748Members
    Heh, since S&I forum is closed, I'll have to ease my creative pressure on these other forums. I apologise for the spam. My idea to reduce the spamminess of <i>legimite</i> voice comming is to have channels. The channels would be selectable by binds or from menu. Marines would have channel 0 which would be as voice comm is now: heard by everybody, channel 1 which would be to commander only, and channel 2 which could be hear only by members of same squad. Aliens would have global voice which can be heard by all and local voice which can be only by aliens within a certain radius of the speaker.

Here's an example on how it might work in action: A group of 3 marines are moving towards objective. All of them have voice comm turned on channel 2. One of them hears a fade behind and says "Um guys, I think we have a fade following us." They turn and drive away the fade. Next they get ambushed by cloaked skulks. After battle the survivors ask for health and ammo from commander on channel 1 and inform everyone of the previously unknown fact that aliens have cloaking on channel 0.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    edited August 2003
    Very good idea, and it has nothing to do with BALANCE ISSUES, so don't close the thread please?
  • bon_Hommebon_Homme Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17543Members
    Kissamies, I think there is a way to accomplish your suggestion with the current mute interface.

As Comm, Try muting everybody but a few squad leaders. Sqads: mute everyone but your comm and squad members.

It becomes kind of like yer prototypical military comm heirarchy. When was the last time a General spoke to a Private?
  • J_D_WJ_D_W Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16598Members
    I was kicked from roobs because i Didnt obey orders. I COULDNT HEAR WTH HE WAS SAYING! Americans voices are so wierd.