Weird Cisco Problems

SmilingAssassinSmilingAssassin Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18174Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Lagging the entire network</div> This question is for the more experienced network administrators.

I have a server that is hooked to a nice connection through a Cisco 3600 router. However, when I set up the server, and have 18 people on it, it brings the entire network to a crawl. The game still runs nice and fast, but EVERYTHING else on the network (name services, http requests, mail functions) slow to a crawl. I figure it's the router that is misconfigured. I think it's the adjustable TX-RING buffer (queues the udp packets before sending them) that Cisco puts on some of it's routers. I asked the ISP who owns the router, and it appears that the buffer is set quite high. Since hlds_l sends 500+ very small udp packets per second on an 18 slot server, it seems that the router is having difficulty buffering all of them.

Does anyone have any experience with this series of Cisco routers and know the optimal settings to use to host game servers? If your server is behind a similar router, could someone ask their ISP what specific settings they have on the router that permits lots of udp traffic?

(I only ask this because getting my ISP to do anything for me is like pulling teeth. If I know exactly what needs to be changed, perhaps I can convince him to do it for me).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• verboseverbose Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9968Members, Constellation
    Any chance of getting a copy of the running config?
  • SmilingAssassinSmilingAssassin Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18174Members
    I can ask him for it. I'll get it tomorrow.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    If he gives you a copy of his running-config... he is a complete moron...

If you can at least find out what version IOS he is running. This makes a big difference in diagnosing Cisco issues.

I can say that my guess is that he is trying to manage bandwidth through his router and has miss configured something. If the game server is killing the entire network then he has probably not given high enough priority to the other network services OR he has given too much priority to that particular game server.

Also, is there any type of packet shaper on that network?
    <!--QuoteBegin--Superfly+Aug 18 2003, 07:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Superfly @ Aug 18 2003, 07:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> If he gives you a copy of his running-config... he is a complete moron...

If you can at least find out what version IOS he is running. This makes a big difference in diagnosing Cisco issues.

I can say that my guess is that he is trying to manage bandwidth through his router and has miss configured something. If the game server is killing the entire network then he has probably not given high enough priority to the other network services OR he has given too much priority to that particular game server.

Also, is there any type of packet shaper on that network? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope. He's not a moron. He asked me which settings I'd like to know though and he would give them to me if they weren't sensitive.

I'll ask him if he has a packet shaper. He does limit the bandwidth, as he's had bad experiences in the past with people abusing their contracts.

Thanks.
  • ZdroneZdrone Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3914Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--verbose+Aug 18 2003, 05:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (verbose @ Aug 18 2003, 05:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Any chance of getting a copy of the running config? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Show Tech" would be better (and removes the possibility that you might accidentally include snmp strings or passwords.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Zdrone+Aug 19 2003, 07:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Zdrone @ Aug 19 2003, 07:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--verbose+Aug 18 2003, 05:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (verbose @ Aug 18 2003, 05:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Any chance of getting a copy of the running config? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Show Tech" would be better (and removes the possibility that you might accidentally include snmp strings or passwords.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    sh tech includes a metric buttload of garbage that's not relevant to a config question. My assumption is that the network administrator in question is smart enough to remove passwords from sh run output.

The reason I want the whole config is because the possibilities for configuration error or unoptimised config are all over the place. I don't even know what interfaces the box has, so how can I know what information to ask for? It would be waste of everyone's time to take blind stabs at a problem, when the cause may be in a portion of the config that wasn't even considered. Hence, my request for the whole thing. If that can't be done, at least the config lines for the interfaces and ACLs, since that's most likely where the problem is.

I cannot make any kind of diagnosis based on the IOS version alone. All that would tell me is if it's vulnerable to certain software bugs.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Check your acls...my professor does this little test when we are first working with routers where he tinkers with the access lists....darn things are pretty effective for being "poor mans firewall" get him to type in "show run" and see what it says
    Thanks for your help. I'll pass the suggestions along. He and I are going to spend some time tomorrow trying to see what's up. Probably with just a few players on instead of the full 18 (when the full 18 are on, he has a hard time logging into the router).
    <!--QuoteBegin--SmilingAssassin+Aug 22 2003, 03:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SmilingAssassin @ Aug 22 2003, 03:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Thanks for your help. I'll pass the suggestions along. He and I are going to spend some time tomorrow trying to see what's up. Probably with just a few players on instead of the full 18 (when the full 18 are on, he has a hard time logging into the router). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hrm, CPU and memory usage on the router when traffic is high? Lower-end routers can be brought to their knees quite easily by too many or too-restrictive ACLs, rate-limits, anything that requires the router to do more than "push packets."
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--verbose+Aug 22 2003, 06:01 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (verbose @ Aug 22 2003, 06:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--SmilingAssassin+Aug 22 2003, 03:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SmilingAssassin @ Aug 22 2003, 03:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Thanks for your help. I'll pass the suggestions along. He and I are going to spend some time tomorrow trying to see what's up. Probably with just a few players on instead of the full 18 (when the full 18 are on, he has a hard time logging into the router). <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hrm, CPU and memory usage on the router when traffic is high? Lower-end routers can be brought to their knees quite easily by too many or too-restrictive ACLs, rate-limits, anything that requires the router to do more than "push packets." <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm with SmilingAssassin on this one. If you can't log into the router when the server is full then you are probably running a bit low on Router Memory.

I have seen ACL's completely hose Cisco routers when under high traffic.
  • ZdroneZdrone Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3914Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--SmilingAssassin+Aug 22 2003, 08:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (SmilingAssassin @ Aug 22 2003, 08:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Thanks for your help. I'll pass the suggestions along. He and I are going to spend some time tomorrow trying to see what's up. Probably with just a few players on instead of the full 18 (when the full 18 are on, he has a hard time logging into the router). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    is this a new thing?

check the CPU, you might have welchia or msblast on your network.

Quick check:

show ip cache flow | include 0800
    and
    show ip cache flow | include 0087

The first will check for icmp traffic. If you see a lot (more than a few) you might want to check the IP's you see in the cache flow.

<a href='http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00801b143a.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voi...0801b143a.shtml</a>
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> is this a new thing?

check the CPU, you might have welchia or msblast on your network.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I don't doubt that we have msblast on some parts of the network. It's a pain to get home users to upgrade their virus definitions and install patches. However, this problem existed before any of these nasty worms started coming around. I think it's like some people here in the forum suggested, that it's an over restrictive ACL. I'll see if he can't cause the router to just pass the UDP packets straight through instead of trying to manipulate them in some way.