Today at a local fair...

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
<div class="IPBDescription">I spotted an atari</div>I was doing a bit of fundraising for my local scouting group and cooking breakfast for the stallholders at this fair. Anyhoo, after that I decided to do a bit of browsing of the wares on display. There was the usual array of indicator lights and mince grinders but then I came to this little stall over on the edge of the oval. On the bench there was pile of crap with a pair of joysticks poking out of the top. I wanded over and spotted a couple of games consoles, there was a sega megadrive and something not terribly noteworthy. But next to that was a wee little black box with a couple of cartriges on it, I took a closer peek and found out it was an Atari! I forgot the spesific name of it but it was packaged with a pair of 2-button joysticks and a pair of game cartriges along with a power supply. The price tag said $10, which is about $5 American, I haggled a bit and got it to $8. But then it occured to me that it was very likely that it didn't work at all, so even $8 would be a waste. I left it there and walked off.

I am now kicking myself for not buying it just for the "Hey, check this out, I've got an Atari! No you can't play it. Because it doesn't work" Just wondering if it would have been worth it.

--Scythe--
the_only_scythe@subdimension.com

Comments

• MartMart Origin of SUYF Join Date: 2002-02-26 Member: 248Members
    I own one... as well as a couple of games... the best one being one with this funky kangeroo in it. Oh, and Raiders of the lost ark... god thats hideous.
  • ShinseijiShinseiji Join Date: 2002-08-04 Member: 1063Members
    Hell, I still own my old skool 8 bit NES. But thats cause I'm all about retro gaming these days. Some of the games these days just lack the playability of the classics. ~sighs~ Why o why can't companies make games as fun as Contra, Ikari Warriors, Bionic Commando, and Blaster Master. Those were great games that were a lot of fun to play......
  • coilcoil Amateur pirate. Professional monkey. All pance. Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 424Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    They're remaking Contra.  If I were less lazy, I'd link to the post about it... it's somewhere in Off-topic.  (:

Bubble Bobble pwns you all.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Hmm, I have no idea what an Atari is(/me is young). I know the company, but at their site I can't find anything bout is system.

<a href="http://www.natural-selection.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=10;t=4749" target="_blank">Contra Thread</a>
  • ShinseijiShinseiji Join Date: 2002-08-04 Member: 1063Members
    I know about the new Contra (thanx to being a registered user at IGN.com). I just hope it don't suck as bad as the PS1 offerings. There hasn't been a good Contra since Contra Hard Corps on the Genesis. As far as the Atari goes, it probably was an Atrai 2600. I used to have one of those back in the day. ~sighs~ The days of Combat and Yars Revenge were grand as well......
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    hmm... well you should've gotten it just to take the chance to see if it was a working system.

Atari 2600's are fast becoming a collector's item in the US. If you were to find a gaming store with them it could sell for $50, which is insane considering in a garage sale they are about $5 :P