How To Defend Base W/ 3 Turrets

GSHoundGSHound Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18940Members
<div class="IPBDescription">It's a.. triangle!</div> Ok, here is a quick layout to defending base w/ 3 turrets.

////////// T ////////////
////////////////////////
//// IP //////// IP /////
////////////////////////
///////// TF ///////////
////////////////////////
T/////////////////////T

or

////T////
/IP///IP/
///TF///
T//////T

T = turret, IP = infantry portal, TF = turret factory

It is literally 1 triangle of buildings surrounded by a triangle of turrets, covering every possible angle of attack. Every turret covers an angle of every building, and the turrets cover eachother. You can also put an armory between the 2 ips, like so:

////T////
/IP/A/IP/
///TF///
T//////T

A = armory

try it out and see if it works for you.

the sleepy hound
[GS]HouND

Comments

• DementedDemented Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18573Members
    edited September 2003
    Very enlightening. However, you could always electrify...

3 turrets arent very effective for early game defence electricity can deal with skulks better. (not the mention the fact that the loss of one turret leaves your base open).
  • RebReb Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17298Members
    Hmm.... I've always done this since I started comming :]

I've found another one just for good measure can be used tho
  • DeadlyEagleDeadlyEagle Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20781Members
    I agree electify is better at the start, cuz they wont b able to take out your ips and thats most important. They can still take out ur res or armory but a marine can usually take em out before that happens.
  • CypherCypher Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14579Members
    I dont see any reason for turrets at all in the first few minutes...Just get a marine to defend the base...Maybe two if they aren't all that great.
  • Cartman2beCartman2be Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21103Members
    Turrets are good towards the end.. Say if you made a gravy train, and skulks/fades ETC rushed the base, and took it all down.. then your screwed.. but turrets basically scare them ;o
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    If there aren't any marines around, 2 skulks will make quick work of one of your turrets to create a blindspot, and then freely munch the TF. So yes, if you aren't going to build many turrets, electfiy the TF, and preferably place the IPs near the TF too.

If there are marines around... why do you need 3 turrets? Drop a shotty for your base-monkey, and maybe a minepack to deal with the pesky spots (like behind the rt, behind the CC, or vents).

If you are going to drop a small number of turrets, I'd recommend dropping 4. It's pretty easy to make a skulk-sized blindspot with 3 turrets, but a bit harder with 4. Plus, it's easy to accidentally block the LOS of a turret and make your own blindspot with a building with only 3.
  • james8448james8448 Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18438Members
    Same as most of the others I place ips next 2 a res tower usually then electrify, killing 2 birds with 1 stone tbh
  • KobayashiKobayashi Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17956Members
    improvement...It's called... Build against a wall! yes! by cutting down on the angles of which they can attack, turrets can be placed even better!
  • FlikFlik Join Date: 2003-09-28 Member: 21286Members
    I'd rather shove everything in one corner, and have those three turrets have more cover fire...

----------------------------------------------
    |
    |
    Turret |
    ====Turret |
    ========= |
    IP========= |
    TFIP==Turret |
    ---------------------------------------------

Yeah...like that!
  • MintmanMintman Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16866Members
    QUICK, QUICK, everyone post strats that anyone who played before 1.04 will know!!!!
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Mintman+Sep 30 2003, 06:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Mintman @ Sep 30 2003, 06:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> QUICK, QUICK, everyone post strats that anyone who played before 1.04 will know!!!! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, silly, those aren't in the forums anymore, and not everyone has been playing since 1.04, so it's still useful to post.

BTW, building against a wall is risky. Yes, when it works, it is more cost effective. However, it's also pretty easy to end up with a blindspot because of how inaccurate building placement can be (rotation mostly), and a blindspot can kill you no matter how many turrets are on the other side.
  • BlackPantherBlackPanther Join Date: 2002-02-11 Member: 197Members
    Yeap. Building along a wall like this:

Turret
    IP
    TF (electrified) Turret
    IP
    Turret

Is a lot better,
  • Harry_S_TrumanHarry_S_Truman Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9568Members
    This should be retitled..."How to waste res by placing three turrets"
  • minskminsk Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12077Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--[GS]Hound+Sep 29 2003, 02:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([GS]Hound @ Sep 29 2003, 02:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ////T////
    /IP/A/IP/
    ///TF///
    T//////T
    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seen it, ate it.

If the southern turrets are far enough down to get a clear shot at the south side of the TF they don't cover the north, and the armory shields a skulk from that turret. If they're pulled farther north they don't cover the south side and it'll die in two +/- 1 lives. (Circle strafing the north turret is probably possible under the armory cover as well)

My usual preference (or annoyance) is the TF wedged in a corner with three turrets in an arc all covering it as mentioned elsewhere. Mind you, at this point fades are arriving anyway... if you wanna spend money on a turret grove (well, it's not a farm...), stick a marine in the middle of it.

I've discovered I suck versus anything human, so have spent entirely too much time finding holes in static defences. Oh well...
  • FlikFlik Join Date: 2003-09-28 Member: 21286Members
    You know, you can kill Hound's tfac placement by eating the TFAC from the north. The armory sheilds the skulks from the turrets, and the tfac blocks fire from the other two. =)
  • CrowCrow Melbourne Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12376Members
    I recon that turrets are only really effective when upgraded. This is the reason i'd prefer electricity at the beginning of game and turrets later (once upgrades are coming smoothly).
  • GSHoundGSHound Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18940Members
    The reason for the post was for new commanders who don't know the electrified TF beginner strategy. Now, I'm telling you, I would personally always go for the electrified TF strat, but some comms dont know that, and this may be useful in some situations where you don't have much res to spare yes want to cover most of your base. Everything has it's use, but this is more about using the minimal amount of res for a base defense.

Now go electrify your TFs and place everything near them! Jeese!
  • GeronimoGeronimo Join Date: 2002-12-18 Member: 11056Members
    You wanna know who got kicked from two servers using only the el:ed TF as defence when 2.0 got out?

Anyway, as stated before, you dont really need turrets in the beginning if a game. I usually place em when I get phasetech, since that thing is too big for my cramped all-around-the-TF-strats...