Crashing On Won

I_Gorged_Your_MomI_Gorged_Your_Mom Join Date: 2003-10-01 Member: 21361Banned, Constellation
edited March 2004 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Crashing on won</div> delete meh

Comments

• ArawnArawn Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12954Members
    edited October 2003
    Ok, first of all, I'm writing this under the assumption that you ARE using a 2.0 NS install. I can't really be sure about whats wrong but it seems to me your biggest problem is installing HL/NS normally and then installing Steam. Bad idea. What I would do is uninstall everything, the entire HL directory including NS, as well as Steam, and then reinstall Half-Life and NS.

When you install Steam, unless you're pretty careful, it will transfer almost all of your HL/NS files to a directory within Steam, it's still really pretty easy to render HL and its mods inoperable by installing Steam period. My solution is to not install Steam, it's a piece of crap that barely works and recently when I checked for NS servers I found like 10 that had any players at all. Only install Steam when it becomes necessary, until then enjoy WON.

Anyway, I can almost guarantee that it is Steam causing you problems, set him up with a normal Half-Life installation and he should be fine. Edit: Oh and I have had problems of this nature with my own computer, Steam does alot of things behind the scenes and doesn't really tell you about them, like I was just going to copy the NS folder back to my HL directory and it turns out it had changed something so that it wouldn't work without Steam..go figure.
  • ElvenThiefElvenThief aka Elven Thief (ex. NS Programmer) Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8754Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    And perhaps you can tell us what this crash/BSOD says?
    Sounds like a definite driver issue if you're getting BSOD's (I assume new computer means you're running a variant of winXP).
    Give us some hardware details as well as what files are listed in the BSODs.

Like, if you get
    "error in module xxxxx.dll", odds are we can tell you what bit of hardware is giving you that error, or if it's simply something else.
  • ArawnArawn Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12954Members
    Well Th33ph I've had similar errors myself, and as soon as I gave myself a fresh install, minus Steam of course, I haven't had any further problems with it.
  • I_Gorged_Your_MomI_Gorged_Your_Mom Join Date: 2003-10-01 Member: 21361Banned, Constellation
    Ok ill check the exact message I get, it has really long number, so ill need to get on his computer.
    It is windows 98, but I have got it working easily under W98 and XP before.
    And yes, it is NS 2.0
    I tried doing a clean install multiple times, but ill try again.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    You're a playtester right?, saw you with a skulk-icon on some steam server.
  • bdahlbdahl Join Date: 2003-10-20 Member: 21827Members, Constellation
    I have a similiar problem i crash with won i dont have steam and i crash at any point in the game not just at the ends or begining, It hurts to crash durring CAL games ;/ Anyone have experience with the problem? Thx.