Crackling/static-like Sound Problem

Lost3Lost3 Join Date: 2003-12-09 Member: 24181Members
edited December 2003 in Tech Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Random Steam issues number 44542234</div> OK, so I can start up the Steam version of NS just fine. It joins up on a server with no problems. Then after a few mintues occasionally, the sound will suddenly start having crackling or static on most low and mid range sounds. Its very obvious if people use a mic, or if you stand next to some machinery for example that has a sound at that spot. You don't really notice any static for high range sounds though... So, I DO in fact have all the latest drivers, in fact I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers last week, hoping to cure this problem. Of course it didn't do anything. Additionally, I recently have tried to look for any obvious error messages. I played NS watiting for the sound to go screwy hit ~ to look for any error messages. Of course there wasn't ANY messages. Any thoughts anyone?

Machine info:
756 Megs Ram
1.3 Duron
NVidia GeForce2
Asus a7n266-vm motherboard
Audio Driver version: 6.14.0366.0

Comments

• 0verpowering0verpowering Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21856Members
    This happens to me aswell, and can get very annoying, as i use headphones. I am running on the WON client, and i cant find any error messages, so i just restart the game which seem to fix it.
  • Lost3Lost3 Join Date: 2003-12-09 Member: 24181Members
    I found quiting... or letting Steam crash... Usually quiting causes Steam to crash... then again its hard to not get Steam to crash. When the map changes I rutinely get some odd client 57 error and it either boots me out of the server or just crashes Steam altogether. But this sound problem seems to be a tad more forgiving. And I also noticed that quitting and restart Steam will fix the problem temporarily. Still no cluse as to why it happens at all.
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    My steam never crashes. Dont know why people have so many problems. I looked at the driver info u posted, but is that the latest driver. Also 2.0 isnt very steam compatible, so i suggest you wait till 3.0
  • Scurvey_DogScurvey_Dog Join Date: 2003-06-16 Member: 17411Members
    use dxdiag to turn hardware acceleration down for your audio device