Marines Under Hive Untargetable By Onos

CowswinCowswin Join Date: 2003-03-17 Member: 14623Banned, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Can't get me! :-P</div> I've noticed on a couple maps (I'm not good on names yet) that when the hive is very low to the ground the marines are sometimes able to run under it and be nigh invincible vs. Onos and hard to hit by fades. The onos hitbox seems to run into the hive and stop while the marine can easily run right under. Not only this, but the onos hitbox tends to be stopped WAY out of range of the marine, meaning as a marine, I can run safely to the middle of the hive, aim upward and empty many many clips of ammo into the hive until a lower lifeform comes and gets me. I've been able to end the game twice as a marine emptying clip after clip into the hive, even in the case of multiple oni. Stomp slowed my killing down once but the other time as a JPer UNDER the hive (yeah, usually on top eh?) I blew the crap outa it without take a scratch until the hive was gone :-P

P.S. > My search function is broken I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Comments

• barmanbarman Join Date: 2003-05-21 Member: 16558Members
    my guess is you're talking about combat... and as far as being under the hive that is something the alien gives up being able to do when going onos.

It's like asking an elephant to go in a mouse hole, won't happen. Even if this is not combat then it still doesn't matter. This is the way the collision code is supposed to work.
  • OG17OG17 Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2024Members
    I really doubt that this is intentional.
  • civman2civman2 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6116Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-OG17+Feb 10 2004, 07:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (OG17 @ Feb 10 2004, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I really doubt that this is intentional. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    intentional or not it is the way it should be. Onos can't get players in vents, or players under some hive (or on top of others). You need teamwork to win.
  • OG17OG17 Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2024Members
    Combat is set up so players are locked into species. Are you suggesting that a skulk or lerk should perpetually babysit the hive, just in case a random marine shoves himself underneath and everyone else around is too big? And what about when that onos spawns in? Is he supposed to be pounded until he runs away from the "safety" of the hive? This is ridiculous, and the parallels you draw aren't at all parallel.
  • LuckyLucky Join Date: 2003-11-16 Member: 23001Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-OG17+Feb 11 2004, 07:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (OG17 @ Feb 11 2004, 07:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Combat is set up so players are locked into species. Are you suggesting that a skulk or lerk should perpetually babysit the hive, just in case a random marine shoves himself underneath and everyone else around is too big? And what about when that onos spawns in? Is he supposed to be pounded until he runs away from the "safety" of the hive? This is ridiculous, and the parallels you draw aren't at all parallel. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Jp'ers have been hiding from onos in the ceiling above the hive area while peppering him with bullets since 2.00 (paralysis removed from onos) and you're the first one I saw complaining about it. I don't see much difference between going on top the hive or sitting in the vent and going under the hive. And YES, in combat end game, not having a lerk baby-sit the hive is like putting out an invitation to all jp'ers to come and take it out. Umbra is what keeps the hive alive.
    Not to mention that going under the hive makes you a wonderfully easy target for lerks and skulks, compared to going on top of it.