Friendly Fire

KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Always on?</div>Well. Long story short: Force friendly fire to always be <b>on</b>.

The fact that marines can blast carelessly and toss grenades at their teammates just makes me sick. It's so easy to kill the odd Skulk (or Fade for that matter) jumping at a bunch of marines by just spraying and praying or throwing a grenade at your teammate for instant explosion. Same with mines, people just lay mines everywhere and sit on them, so when an alien attacks them the mine will blow up and the marine will be unharmed. It's an unfair advatange to the marines to use a friendly as a target to blow your explosives up where you want.

Discuss.

Comments

• HatlabuFarkasHatlabuFarkas Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44496Members
    good idea to keep FF is on, trying watch your fires. Realistic more, 'cause the shot always hit.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1603345:date=Feb 1 2007, 04:04 PM:name=Khaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Khaze @ Feb 1 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1603345[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Same with mines, people just lay mines everywhere and sit on them, so when an alien attacks them the mine will blow up and the marine will be unharmed.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the lasers in the mines detect wether the thing tripping the mine is a marine or alien. if it detects an alien, it blows up, if it detects a marine, it just beeps.
    phase gates work the same way. if a marine uses it, it verifies he is human and lets him through. if an alien trys to use a phase, it doesnt work.

if friendly fire is made to be allways on (which i wouldnt mind), marines shouldnt trip the mines, but if one blows up near a marine, the dammage should hurt him.
  • kiddokiddo Join Date: 2007-01-07 Member: 59503Members
    this is more of a server side thing. It should be optional. I understand the whole idea of ff, I play DoD a lot so yes it does a lot of realism to the game. Marines seriously have to watch their fire, but more importantly Glers and hand nades. (I'v also noticed that when friendly fire is on on NS, turrets or OC chambers can dmg aliens or marines if they stand infront of their own unites. I don't think thats a good idea really personally.)
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1603438:date=Feb 2 2007, 02:52 AM:name=Buzzou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buzzou @ Feb 2 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]1603438[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    the lasers in the mines detect wether the thing tripping the mine is a marine or alien. if it detects an alien, it blows up, if it detects a marine, it just beeps.
    phase gates work the same way. if a marine uses it, it verifies he is human and lets him through. if an alien trys to use a phase, it doesnt work.

if friendly fire is made to be allways on (which i wouldnt mind), marines shouldnt trip the mines, but if one blows up near a marine, the dammage should hurt him.

I realise that the mines don't blow up if a marine stands on them because of the technology in them, and I don't mind that, but it wasn't my point either. The point was that how come a Marine stays unharmed even if they're standing on a mine that blows up? Unless the explosion isn't really an explosion but a cloud of nanites, there's no sensible reason why the marine shouldn't be blown to hell with the skulk. It makes no sense and it's far from fair or balanced.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i dont like the idea of grenades hurting marines, the game doesnt really suit it, i wouldnt want some noob with a GL getting freaked out by a skulk and letting off all 4 grenades at his feet, which would take out his whole squad :S

but yes it already is a server option, so just ask your server admin to turn it on ?
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    "Hey im in bottom of the scoreboard and I must leave the computer in 5 minutes, lets ruin the game!"

*Kills any marines in base* *Blows up the arms lab* *Knives the CC* *Kills anyone else* *gets killed* *leaves*

Above situation isn't THAT normal, but it happens and when it does it's a serious pain. If the server is moderated and serious it will probably have FF anyway. Other mostly public servers dont, since it's not so serious and you dont want to ruin things because someone feels like being a ######.

I rather have 50 things which can be changed then haveing 45 forced options.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1604136:date=Feb 6 2007, 04:07 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(schkorpio @ Feb 6 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]1604136[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    i dont like the idea of grenades hurting marines, the game doesnt really suit it, i wouldnt want some noob with a GL getting freaked out by a skulk and letting off all 4 grenades at his feet, which would take out his whole squad :S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comm doesn't have to give that guy a GL? Besides, with a penalty system that guy would only "panic" once and learn a lesson to either never take a GL again or hold his bloody fire around friendlies.

<!--quoteo(post=1604188:date=Feb 6 2007, 01:43 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Svenpa @ Feb 6 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1604188[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    "Hey im in bottom of the scoreboard and I must leave the computer in 5 minutes, lets ruin the game!"

*Kills any marines in base* *Blows up the arms lab* *Knives the CC* *Kills anyone else* *gets killed* *leaves*

Above situation isn't THAT normal, but it happens and when it does it's a serious pain. If the server is moderated and serious it will probably have FF anyway. Other mostly public servers dont, since it's not so serious and you dont want to ruin things because someone feels like being a ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you even CONSIDER the possibility of a penalty system? Did you? I bet you didn't.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited February 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1604215:date=Feb 6 2007, 03:38 PM:name=Khaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Khaze @ Feb 6 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]1604215[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Comm doesn't have to give that guy a GL? Besides, with a penalty system that guy would only "panic" once and learn a lesson to either never take a GL again or hold his bloody fire around friendlies.
    Did you even CONSIDER the possibility of a penalty system? Did you? I bet you didn't.

Since when did we discuss penalty system in this topic? I were simply refering to the idea at hand. Regardless, penalty systems can be exploited just as well.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    ff has always been a component of competitive ns, its just a matter of whether public server want to turn it on. a penalty system would probably be a bad idea though because you get a lot of accidental tk's.
  • SmallberriesSmallberries Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58812Members
    I personally prefer FF servers. I experienced it on the MikesMarauders DoD servers and it makes you pay attention. However, I do prefer that once the game has ended that FF is turned off. This is due to some who like to TK at the end of the match as a form of perverted "victory dance".
  • PikminwarsPikminwars Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58468Members
    Penalty systems are terrible. Ever play BF2? If you teamkill someone, regardless of whether it's an accident, you <b>will</b> be punished. That's -6 points. Even if there is a person who is on a teamkilling rampage, they'll get -100 points and not care. Why? Because it's either an alternate account or they just leave before the game finishes and the score doesn't add to their global points.