Pandora.com

2»

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Songs that you "Thumbs Up" will most definitely get repeated. It will throw you a lot of new suff, but once it's fairly sure about your preferences for a radio station, you'll start to get stuff it knows you like played again.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    more starter techno suggestions: DJ Shadow is pretty standard. Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada have good ambient type stuff.
  • Fall0utFall0ut Join Date: 2003-09-18 Member: 20988Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1610295:date=Mar 1 2007, 07:58 AM:name=Wyzcrak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wyzcrak @ Mar 1 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]1610295[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'm a big fan of Pandora.

I use <a href="http://openpandora.googlepages.com/" target="_blank">Open Pandora</a> pretty exclusively to listen. I fear it's going to get bloated over time. For now, it's a fairly reliable substitute for having the website loaded.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kick ######, I have been using Pandora for a while now but OPEN PANDORA is just the cherry

Thanks man!!
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited March 2007
    lol you can control it with your wiimote? I know where my wii browser is going to be pointed from now on while I play WoW...

edit: oh, I got my hopes up. they just mean using a wiimote with your computer via bluetooth. how bass-ackwards and pointless.
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko hates endnotes Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16320Members
    It doesn't completely suck at non-English bands, there's like 3 songs from Die Ärzte, some Rammstein, ...tATu (...or whatever their weird combination of capitalization is) and the requisite Nena. That's about all I could find...no Вирус (Virus) (...although they do have an English speaking band of that name), Toten Hosen, Megumi Hayashibara or even Juli.

They do have the Aquabats, the Minibosses, the Advantage and Steven Lynch. They're pretty rare (except for Lynch, but he's not really 'music', more 'funny jingle-y things'.
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Something to keep in mind that I didn't discover until it was too late: When a song plays, it means that it's already in your playlist and will cycle. Over time you <i>will</i> get repeats of songs that are given a thumbs up or left neutral. Do <i>not</i> thumbs-up every single song you like that shows up. It's not saying "keep this song," as it's in the playlist anyway - you're saying "find songs similar to this one." every additional song you give a thumbs-up to will bring in a huge range more songs, many of which likely won't actually fall into what you like. You're better off using a much smaller base selection of songs that you really like than trying to thumbs-up everything you even remotely like.

I had a horrendous playlist for a while but finally went back in and nuked all but my favorite songs and artists from the list and it pared it down to a very reasonable selection. There's still some new stuff here and there that I don't like, but for the most part I have a pretty solid loop of artists and songs and have even found a few (or re-discovered, in one case) that I've really liked that'll be future CD purchases for me.
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1610943:date=Mar 3 2007, 08:00 AM:name=KungFuSquirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KungFuSquirrel @ Mar 3 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]1610943[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Something to keep in mind that I didn't discover until it was too late: When a song plays, it means that it's already in your playlist and will cycle. Over time you <i>will</i> get repeats of songs that are given a thumbs up or left neutral. Do <i>not</i> thumbs-up every single song you like that shows up. It's not saying "keep this song," as it's in the playlist anyway - you're saying "find songs similar to this one." every additional song you give a thumbs-up to will bring in a huge range more songs, many of which likely won't actually fall into what you like. You're better off using a much smaller base selection of songs that you really like than trying to thumbs-up everything you even remotely like.

I had a horrendous playlist for a while but finally went back in and nuked all but my favorite songs and artists from the list and it pared it down to a very reasonable selection. There's still some new stuff here and there that I don't like, but for the most part I have a pretty solid loop of artists and songs and have even found a few (or re-discovered, in one case) that I've really liked that'll be future CD purchases for me.

Good tip. How do I change my rating of a song I previously gave a thumb up to.
  • CplDavisCplDavis I hunt the arctic Snonos Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1610516:date=Mar 2 2007, 01:04 AM:name=Liku)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Liku @ Mar 2 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]1610516[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I made two stations, and one of them was a chill station, and all it's been giving me is folk/banjo tunes that I'm trying to stray from but I keep going back into for some reason oh though I keep giving it a thumbs down.

A lot of stuff isn't on here sadly...

ATB
    DJ Tiesto
    Armin van Buurren
    Ferry Corsten
    Rank 1
    George Acosta
    Summer Sessions
    Kay Stone
    Randy katana
    Armanja
    DJ Shog
    Aurora
    Angelina
    Ronski Speed

Nice site btw, heehee
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    They've changed the interface a bit since the last time I looked, but click on the down arrow on your station's tab and click "edit this station." It'll take you to your station's profile and let you browse and add/remove entries to your artist and song seeds or remove entries from your thumbs up/down lists.

I still have a lot of cleaning up to do on mine, heh... still getting better results than I used to though.
  • GreyFlcnGreyFlcn Join Date: 2006-12-19 Member: 59134Members, Constellation
    Too bad this may kill Pandora
    <a href="http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/04/0930245" target="_blank">http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/04/0930245</a>