Individual Skill

SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
edited March 2007 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">a project</div>I'm looking to start a community demo collection project, particularly from the post-NS3.0 time frame. The eventual goal is to put together a video showcasing the best moments of individual skill in modern NS captured on demo. It doesn't really matter whether it is material from pub play or competitive play, except that pub play material has to be damn good and at least comparable to competitive play skill levels. Also, it doesn't have to be North American or European only. Commander, marine, and alien play all qualify. Details follow:

The movie will be as long as necessary to include good clips. Credit will naturally be given to demo providers and starring players. We need to define what "good clips" are.

Good clips are demo segments showcasing moments that:

1. Are not common in average pub play.
2. Are very challenging to reproduce or achieve.
3. Are astonishing (something that will make you say "awesome")
4. Are live, not choreographed.

Amongst other things.

Few examples of clips that would <u>not</u> be good:

1. Multiple frags on walking skulks with pretty much any weapon except a knife. <i>In competitive play, bhop skulks are also no good unless the marine (vanilla, weapon not greater than an lmg) is taken by surprise and has to masterfully evade 2 or more skulks in close proximity.</i>

2. Lag kills

3. Aimbots or other <i>obvious</i> forms of cheating.

4. Soloing a single higher lifeform with anything greater than a shotgun. Soloing walker fades as a vanilla marine also doesn't work unless it clearly took skill to evade the brute force of the fade's attacks (i.e. you had to bhop around, up ledges, into the water). There are exceptions, of course, such as jetpacking against an onos in close quarters, which might be good.

5. Knifing a higher lifeform that you did not weaken on your own (i.e. if there's a fade blinking to heal and you catch it in a doorway to knife it)

6. Sieging a hive with 10+ sieges. It isn't anything special.

There are many more examples that don't fit the 4 basic criteria for good clips.

Hopefully there are some nice clips around and maybe more will be recorded. I'd like to get some of these moments together and work on the actual movie during the summer. It isn't that I do not believe in the existence of memorable moments. However, I'm thinking that it might take a while to collect the material. I might even be completely disappointed if there isn't any interest.

So, having said that, if anybody has some good material to share, post some links here identifying the time in the demo that the event(s) of interest took place. Any comments or ideas would also be good.

Comments

• UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    You should also take the worse demos (IE, Legend of Hellabean).
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    lagga already did this. Search his name on the video game frag-movie website (I can't remember the name).
  • vmsvms Join Date: 2005-06-15 Member: 53927Members
    Except that most of his frags only show the opponents mistakes and is nothing impressive.
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    Watch fananation and jmms movie, between the two you have probably the best clips you'll find in NS, aswell as an awesome example of how NOT to make a frag movie. As an aside I am also working on a similar project, so PM me and let me know what footage you're using (competetive demo-wise) and I'll let you know what I'm using etc.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    I have watched frag movies in the past, including those. I'm looking for less common and unused footage though.
    Like a marine lmg/pistoling 2 skulks then knifing a lerk from full HP? As I said, I'm working on a similar project =)
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    edited March 2007
    Watch the NA vs EU match today and maybe there will be something worth using from there. Which is in 15 minutes.

connect 82.118.208.176:28100
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    Couldn't watch it, maybe there'll be a HLTV of it uploaded later. Or maybe someone can tell if it wasn't any good.
    hltv demos were recorded and will be uploaded, as was the shoutcast. highlight of the match imo was fana getting shotgunned as lerk, and peach jumping out the cc and soloing 3 skulks.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1611046:date=Mar 4 2007, 12:08 AM:name=SpaceJesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpaceJesus @ Mar 4 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]1611046[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    hltv demos were recorded and will be uploaded, as was the shoutcast. highlight of the match imo was fana getting shotgunned as lerk, and peach jumping out the cc and soloing 3 skulks.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    * Me flying into one shotgunner, then escaping only to fly into two more.
    * Me shooting three skulks, Peach jumping out and stealing all the frags.

It's not <b>really</b> Team Europe vs. Team USA, it's more of a mix team vs. another mix team, or PUG as the americans call it.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    How do you make sure the guy is not cheating/exploiting ? Seeing a footage of a cheater wont bring NS (modern NS) to top and BTW most honnest players wont make the difference. Once you see one... you have seen all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1611063:date=Mar 3 2007, 07:37 PM:name=UncleCrunch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UncleCrunch @ Mar 3 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]1611063[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    How do you make sure the guy is not cheating/exploiting ? Seeing a footage of a cheater wont bring NS (modern NS) to top and BTW most honnest players wont make the difference. Once you see one... you have seen all.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why I said that I don't want obvious footage of cheating, key word is <i>obvious</i>. It isn't that I even care about making sure. It's that most footage of cheaters in action blows beyond belief, so it wouldn't even get in. For example: If someone was using ESP but still had the skill to do something unique and awesome, then I don't care if he used ESP to get to that point - as long as there was clearly extraordinary skill involved in the footage that actually counts. As for aimbots, beyond a certain points frags are no longer reasonable or just plain boring.
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    edited March 2007
    People hack in this game still last guy I saw hacking was during 2.01 or something with a speed hack. I like when Mak and Steve I believe killed 3 or 2 fades in west :o
  • Splinter_SteveSplinter_Steve Join Date: 2005-03-20 Member: 45881Members
    3 fades, deimos came in and stole the easy third on like 5 bullets though

haven't watched it back yet but at the time it was AWESOME
    Host it on rapidshare or something.