Anti Malware

ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">What is currently good?</div>So, I haven't been using any malware protectors as of late (outside of a hardware firewall). I tend to not download questionable things, or spending time on social sites (remember when surfing pr0n would mess up your computer, and now it is all these sites spinning off of the MySpace generation).

My GF is also generally rather smart about not getting horrible things on her computer, however her Sister is at home and using her computer. Her computer is now about to asplode.

so, what are the currently favored programs? There are the standards of AVG/Avast/SpyBot/AdAware, however I haven't payed much attention to these things as of late, and thus don't know what the new great things are.

So, help me Off Topic Forums, you're my only hope!

(btw, I would like something that actively kills attempts to install malware, so when my GF is off at work, her sister can't make her computer go asplode again)

Comments

• XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    AVG and Spybot should clean up anything. I run Spybot + AVG + Zonealarm (Im in the DMZ for my router) and have had 0 issues aside from things I've caused on purpose.
  • MantridMantrid Lockpick Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24109Members
    Avast is pretty good for automatically nuking stuff. Hell, if you go to a webpage, and that webpage starts trying to do nasty things to your computer just from you looking at it, Avast will start yelling at you and ask if you want to break the connection. Pretty awesome.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Not jes' that, but it be yellin' at ye like a pirate! Now that be splicin' the mainbrace somethin' fierce!
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    So those 4 are stil lthe main stay of free support?

Any one know anything about AVG's Anti-Spyware?
  • HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    On a spyware and virus infested pc i cleaned the other day, AVG Spyware found a few things Adaware and Spybot did not.

Windows Defender is also decent.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    yah, I actually still use windows defender (least obtrusive one I find).

Unfortunately she does not run XP, thus no defender ;(
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    ClamWin decided to just delete every .exe on my PC a few months back. Whatever you do, don't use ClamWin AV.