So this is my final computer upgrade for the next 6 months to a year.

2»

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1658152:date=Oct 27 2007, 10:54 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aleph @ Oct 27 2007, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead it will atrophy, its muscles having seen little physical exertion due to a pussified fear of all things risky; this whimpish approach will procure you a boring and wearisome journey into old age, and only then with decades of hindsight will you lament as you come to the realization: I never really lived!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, you've totally never lived if you haven't gone really fast down a road for no reason other than to go really fast down a road. Have tons of fun with that one.
  • ZigZig ...I am Captain Planet&#33; Join Date: 2002-10-23 Member: 1576Members
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658152:date=Oct 27 2007, 08:54 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aleph @ Oct 27 2007, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead it will atrophy, its muscles having seen little physical exertion due to a pussified fear of all things risky; this whimpish approach will procure you a boring and wearisome journey into old age, and only then with decades of hindsight will you lament as you come to the realization: I never really lived!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I drive fast as sh*.

I can probably say I'd already be dead by now if I had done, on 2 wheels, some of the stupid crap I've done on 4.

By the way, you don't have to be concerned for any of our necks atrophying. Better off worrying about your own.

Grow up. - KFDM
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Members
    If I want the "open air experience" or whatever I can just ride a rollercoaster go to hell yo.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've gotta agree with my own dissenters here. Not riding a motorcycle doesn't mean you aren't living- it just means you're living without the joy of a motorcycle.

And Zig, thats the thing- you can't be stupid on a motorcycle. Or else, you won't be on it for long. I've seen and heard of some pretty bad crashes- the ones my Dad alone have been in would scare the royal ###### out of me if it wasn't for the fact that the one thing he consistently says is, If you aren't stupid, don't push your luck, keep your eyes and ears open and otherwise just use your head, nothing too serious is going to happen- 'cause even if you do get hit, you probably saw it.

And as many of those say, "Well what if something is in the road and you hit it at high speed?" well, I can tell you this: It takes getting used to, but its not hard to handle. Few weeks ago at Laguna Seca MotoGP was having a race where some sandbags were holding down a Mazda sign- problem was, 2 sandbags was not big enough to hold down what was basically a giant sail. So one guy hit the sign- it burst into a few dozen pieces instantly. But then, there was a Sandbag left in the middle of the track- and some poor guy nailed it straight on. You see his bike jut up, down, and his body get settled back in and he continued- all the time well above 180mph.

Its a matter of knowing what you're doing and being properly prepared for any situation. Granted it'll take me a while to learn but I'm gonna be as safe as I can throughout it all. I wanna be 70 and be on my 70th bike if I can.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited October 2007
    back to the PC upgrade topic, I hope you didn't buy yet.

<a href="http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9424" target="_blank">http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9424</a>

<a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/gef...0_gt/index.html</a>

tldr: nvidia just released the 8800GT, which is almost as cheap as the 8600 GTS ($200 I think), but better performing than the 8800GTS ($350). Also, it's DX10.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Hmm, didn't read but people seem to like the 8800GTX so the 8800GT must be good?
    I need a new card, this 7900GT junk corrupted the memory earlier this year, due to some design / manufacturing flaw and I forgot my order code so I can't RMA.

Will it be good? Should wait for new generation? 9x00?
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    edited October 2007
    I think the 8800GTX is still the best card out there, but it's way expensive. It sounds like the 8800GT is awesome for the price, but it's a brand new release so I'm just going off the initial hype and benchmarks. don't know when the 9 series is coming out so I guess it depends on how antsy you are to replace your old card.
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Yeah well, I survived this long. I feel I have to be smarter and get the next round of cards, this one can still 'play'. Even though random textures get psychedelic patterns and colors.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmm. She runs hella hot though- 91c? Jesus. Even my current card only gets to a max of 89, and its already artifacting.

Maybe the GT can take it, though.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    All you anti-cyclists can go over to the hater table. Help yourself to some hater tots and haterade while you're there.

If you haven't ridden a motorcycle down the road at 90+ at least once in your life, you've got no place in the safety discussion. I've had my current bike for around 2.5 years and the only time it's been so much as scratched was when it was parked.

A level head, attentive eyes, and quick reflexes go a long way.
  • Private_ColemanPrivate_Coleman PhD in Video Games Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7510Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1658458:date=Oct 30 2007, 01:42 AM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE([WHO]Them @ Oct 30 2007, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    A level head, attentive eyes, and quick reflexes go a long way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah provided you don't crash into something that is unavoidable or unexpected. You are kidding yourself if you believe that either you will not ever crash if you are careful or that you are safer on a bike than in a car.
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658466:date=Oct 30 2007, 12:38 AM:name=Private_Coleman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Private_Coleman @ Oct 30 2007, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah provided you don't crash into something that is unavoidable or unexpected. You are kidding yourself if you believe that either you will not ever crash if you are careful or that you are safer on a bike than in a car.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When did he ever say it was safer? He's just saying its not auto-suicide.

And for the record: If something was unavoidable, or unexpected, you obviously weren't keeping your eyes and ears open. Unless a car comes falling out of the sky, you can either see it coming or be slow enough to have enough time to react. Part of having a level head is <i>knowing when to not go fast</i> on roads where people can come out of parking lots/run corners at intersections, etc.

I've <i>never</i> been in a situation thus far in my driving that was 'unavoidable', and I got that saying from my Dad, who as said has had motorcycles of all kinds for 35 years, and drove big rigs across the west coast for 11 years. The only times he's ever been in wrecks was when he was doing something stupid- and he learned from each.

Edit: Oh, and lucky for me I hadn't bought the gfx card yet. I'm gonna hold off til BFG's 8800 GT is on the market(their warranty is too good, honestly, despite the bad experience I've had thus far).
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658518:date=Oct 30 2007, 12:33 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quaunaut @ Oct 30 2007, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When did he ever say it was safer? He's just saying its not auto-suicide.

And for the record: If something was unavoidable, or unexpected, you obviously weren't keeping your eyes and ears open. Unless a car comes falling out of the sky, you can either see it coming or be slow enough to have enough time to react.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm going to continue to play the "hater" here and ask you the following:

Can you not admit that almost any kind of collision or accident that can happen in a car, can be several times deadlier on a motorcycle?

<b>And for the record:</b> maybe nobody you know has been killed by a drunk driver before. I myself lost a friend to a drunk, unregistered, uninsured illegal immigrant doing 100 on the freeway. If you think, even for a second, that you are not at the mercy of all the Dbags around you when you're on the road... then you really may be f*ed.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited October 2007
    Exactly. You can control your own skill but you can't make other people drive better. Although I don't see what someone being an illegal immigrant has to do with their driving skill.
  • WarriorWarrior Join Date: 2003-02-16 Member: 13624Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1658518:date=Oct 30 2007, 12:33 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quaunaut @ Oct 30 2007, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and lucky for me I hadn't bought the gfx card yet. I'm gonna hold off til BFG's 8800 GT is on the market(their warranty is too good, honestly, despite the bad experience I've had thus far).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What makes BFG's warranty so good?
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658518:date=Oct 30 2007, 02:33 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quaunaut @ Oct 30 2007, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When did he ever say it was safer? He's just saying its not auto-suicide.

And for the record: If something was unavoidable, or unexpected, you obviously weren't keeping your eyes and ears open. Unless a car comes falling out of the sky, you can either see it coming or be slow enough to have enough time to react. Part of having a level head is <i>knowing when to not go fast</i> on roads where people can come out of parking lots/run corners at intersections, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think anyone in this thread has said that the minute you sit on top of a motorcycle it will automatically catch fire and explode in your face. Even if you are infallible with your own driving skill, over a long enough time period just like in a car you will inevitably crash and burn and possibly die. There is a higher risk on a bike of life threatening injuries and if you don't think so there's not much more to say other than you are an idiot. Those are my points.
    edited October 2007
    DOUBLE POST DAMNIT
    <!--quoteo(post=1658569:date=Oct 30 2007, 06:12 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Oct 30 2007, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see what someone being an illegal immigrant has to do with their driving skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well he definitely didn't have a driver's license, did he? Do you think he's had any reason to even consider any kind of driving instruction in the state of california?

Let's not even go into that whole discussion.
    My dad's old saying of "The hard part about driving isn't driving your car, its driving everyone else's." applies here.

As I said before: You prepare for anything. Its the reason that even if a light is green, you don't just go. Its the reason that if you see a drunk driver on the road, you do your best to stay away in any way possible. Etcetera etcetera. Minimizing risk. No, you're right- the risk will always be there. And yeah, I have admitted(dozens of times in this thread already) that the wreck WILL be worse and is even more likely on a motorcycle. The difference though is HOW you minimize risk.

Saying you're just at the mercy of someone with no way of stopping them is an asinine way of looking at it, plain and simple. Unless their truck is falling out of the sky, you could have seen it coming. That, or if they're hitting you with a Lamborghini('cause you can't really account for speed-up time when its less than 3 seconds).

As for BFG's warranty: A lot of companies have a "lifetime" warranty. The difference is that with BFG, if it has their logo, you can get it replaced, plain and simple. Other places need stuff like proper packaging, receipts, proof of purchase, all that. With BFG, its "My card is broken. Its this kind of card. Whats my RMA#? Thanks." and you've got a week til your card is back.

And considering I live in Fresno, land of the holy-######-thats-humid at 104 degrees(IN THE FALL), heating issues crop up a lot.
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658591:date=Oct 31 2007, 01:23 AM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quaunaut @ Oct 31 2007, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My dad's old saying of "The hard part about driving isn't driving your car, its driving everyone else's." applies here.

As I said before: You prepare for anything. Its the reason that even if a light is green, you don't just go. Its the reason that if you see a drunk driver on the road, you do your best to stay away in any way possible. Etcetera etcetera. Minimizing risk. No, you're right- the risk will always be there. And yeah, I have admitted(dozens of times in this thread already) that the wreck WILL be worse and is even more likely on a motorcycle. The difference though is HOW you minimize risk.

Saying you're just at the mercy of someone with no way of stopping them is an asinine way of looking at it, plain and simple. Unless their truck is falling out of the sky, you could have seen it coming. That, or if they're hitting you with a Lamborghini('cause you can't really account for speed-up time when its less than 3 seconds).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are putting a little bit too much faith in the abilities of just one driver. It is both a combination of you and the other driver's skills and anticipation of each other's reactions. In addition it is impossible to formulate exactly what will happen at high speed should you initiate evasive countermeasure X. In fact, you could just as easily make the situation a lot worse by just not having enough time to make a good judgement in anticipating the other drivers moves (especially should the other driver be drunk, on whatever drugs, just ######ing stupid or a combination) and how to avoid the crash. I'm not saying you can't see it coming, it's just that you see it too late and cannot make a good call in the amount of time you have, and even if you do you had better hope to god the other driver doesn't go OHHHHH ###### and steer directly at you while you are trying to avoid them.

While driving I have seen people do amazingly stupid things, like forgetting to turn their lights on at night or speeding down the center of the road. It is not possible to be able to see every single hazard coming, calculate the best possible maneuver factoring in the other driver's brain power and be able to avoid it perfectly or hit it in a way that you will not be harmed. Your driving skill is not infallible and you are going to crash and die with a calculator clutched in your hand and a look of disbelief on your face and with your last dying breath you will utter "DOES NOT COMPUTE".
    <!--quoteo(post=1658606:date=Oct 31 2007, 01:01 AM:name=Private_Coleman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Private_Coleman @ Oct 31 2007, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are putting a little bit too much faith in the abilities of just one driver. It is both a combination of you and the other driver's skills and anticipation of each other's reactions. In addition it is impossible to formulate exactly what will happen at high speed should you initiate evasive countermeasure X. In fact, you could just as easily make the situation a lot worse by just not having enough time to make a good judgement in anticipating the other drivers moves (especially should the other driver be drunk, on whatever drugs, just ######ing stupid or a combination) and how to avoid the crash. I'm not saying you can't see it coming, it's just that you see it too late and cannot make a good call in the amount of time you have, and even if you do you had better hope to god the other driver doesn't go OHHHHH ###### and steer directly at you while you are trying to avoid them.

While driving I have seen people do amazingly stupid things, like forgetting to turn their lights on at night or speeding down the center of the road. It is not possible to be able to see every single hazard coming, calculate the best possible maneuver factoring in the other driver's brain power and be able to avoid it perfectly or hit it in a way that you will not be harmed. Your driving skill is not infallible and you are going to crash and die with a calculator clutched in your hand and a look of disbelief on your face and with your last dying breath you will utter "DOES NOT COMPUTE".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have this entire attitude of cars bursting into thin air. And I have never said the skill is infalliable, but that you can <i>minimize risk and damage to miniscule levels</i>. You just have to use common sense. Be wary of driveways and parking lots. Watch your intersections closely, and in general, don't run yellows. Watch the drivers around you- its easy to tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't just by the way they drive(for example- if one car seems to move a bit to the left in its lane, does the car after it do the same thing? This is a very telling sign that the person is little more than braindead). It isn't foolproof, and I never said it was, but its just how things are done.

I know that a lot of parents, when they teach their kids to drive, do little more than tell them to obey speed limits, teach them the basic mechanical workings, and let 'em go. I was lucky enough to have a Dad that showed me how to drive with your head.
    edited October 2007
    <!--quoteo(post=1658615:date=Oct 31 2007, 04:41 AM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quaunaut @ Oct 31 2007, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1658615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have this entire attitude of cars bursting into thin air. And I have never said the skill is infalliable, but that you can <i>minimize risk and damage to miniscule levels</i>. You just have to use common sense. Be wary of driveways and parking lots. Watch your intersections closely, and in general, don't run yellows. Watch the drivers around you- its easy to tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't just by the way they drive(for example- if one car seems to move a bit to the left in its lane, does the car after it do the same thing? This is a very telling sign that the person is little more than braindead). It isn't foolproof, and I never said it was, but its just how things are done.

I know that a lot of parents, when they teach their kids to drive, do little more than tell them to obey speed limits, teach them the basic mechanical workings, and let 'em go. I was lucky enough to have a Dad that showed me how to drive with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't seem to be understanding my point through my attempts to convey it to you so I will be giving up now because I don't want your thread ruined any more than it has become.