Training Camp tutorial

afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
edited February 2008 in Ideas and Suggestions
This is something that would take a lot of time to develop, but i think it could be extremely useful. I'd expect it to have no chance to be part of NS2... anyway what do you think of this? Have you seen this done in other FPSs before?

<b>Training Camp. </b>
It would be a set of single-player maps with clear objectives that test and help improve player's various skills: aim, movement, reaction time etc. The training camp would have several purposes:
1) at first it would be used to simply teach how to play: shoot, move, etc. (teach how skulks walk on walls by making them go from point A to B and attack a marine target)
2) teach skills that are useful in the game (time the run so that fastest way may be through vents, walls, and ceiling. Also count number of circles made while attacking to encourage constant movement as aliens)
3) Give a tool for veteran players to improve their skills (time runs from point A to point B on various maps to find the fastest routes)
4) Record progress in various skill areas (If bunny hopping is part of alien movement,the time it takes to get from A to B would indicate bunny-hopping skill)

I'll try to explain it via examples. (BTW, in many of my examples i assume some simple bot AI, but exercises could be done without it)
The simplest version of it would be a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_range" target="_blank">shooting range</a>: you shoot at a target and then are told how accurate you are. Obviously, just clicking on a target would be boring, so it would be much more dynamic.
It could start off simple: a skulk runs around a room and you shoot at it. After the exercise it tells you how many bullets hit.
Work on shooting while moving: you have to constantly jump from platform to platform to avoid falling down a pit while aiming at skulks that come and leave your line of sight.
To improve close quarter combat: skulks could be automatically attacking the marine for 0 damage - in the end number of bites and bullet hits are counted.
Teach specific weapons: GL could require you to shoot around corners or behind cover; SG would be a good weapon in close quarter training; NS1 pistol for long range sniping at moving targets, and so on.

For aliens, the training would be less obvious. As mentioned, movement could be taught by timing how long it takes to get from A to B. Avoiding gun fire might be taught and improved by using "dumb" turrets that track your movement slowly - standing in place would get you hit but moving side to side and climbing ceilings would make it shoot behind you (the turret wouldn't kill the skulk, instead number of hits would be counted).
Teaching the various abilities and life forms would make it very complicated... but still it would be a good introduction to the skulk.

What are your thoughts (besides that it would never be part of NS2)? If something like this were implemented, would you use it to hone your skill?

Comments

• corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Could have a simple "bootcamPp" for marines, and an "escape a planet bootcamp" for aliens. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard.
  • RadixRadix Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34654Members, Constellation
    You could start a tutorial looking really mundane and unfold it almost like a story, NS (and presumably NS2) has so many gameplay mechanics that normal FPS games don't, it would be easy to create a great amount of <i>wow factor</i>.
  • Moving_Target0Moving_Target0 Join Date: 2006-12-21 Member: 59174Members
    Though I might not personally play through the training, I know it would help new players a lot. You would also need something about commanding and building in there as well, though...simultaneously, you could teach them about gestation. You could also throw in a separate training for every type of alien life form, and marine training vs. various life forms.
  • corpsmancorpsman Join Date: 2004-04-17 Member: 27979Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1670505:date=Feb 14 2008, 12:51 PM:name=Radix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radix @ Feb 14 2008, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1670505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could start a tutorial looking really mundane and unfold it almost like a story, NS (and presumably NS2) has so many gameplay mechanics that normal FPS games don't, it would be easy to create a great amount of <i>wow factor</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, like alot of games used to make the "demo level" also the tutorial for the game. One simply level for each side. I think my favorite for any game, not because it was particularly great, but it was just kinda fun to play through the "bootcamp" level in Opposing Force. I remember the Sarg yelling at me to go here and do that. Some games tried it, like Operation Flashpoint, and failed miserably. The game was wonderful don't get me wrong, a fav, but the tutorial had no wow factor, just a "shoot the plank/walk under the wire" thing going on.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2008
    I dunno if sum1 said this... but

I've looked some inspiration for this and would be nice if there were some undrivable Cargo Mechs in cargo areas\bays like those in Aliens (the movie, alien 2 from 1986)

like this one <a href="http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2019793152/tt0090605" target="_blank">http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2019793152/tt0090605</a>
  • naggynaggy Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46068Members
    There's already a thread about the tutorial - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=103641" target="_blank">NS2 Tutorial Discussion</a>

But yeah, what your saying is similar to things that have been brought up in the past, guess all we can do is cross our fingers and hope its put in. I think there's also some ideas in another thread under the name of '*Actual* discussion on new starting alien(s)', which can be found <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=103385&st=40" target="_blank">here</a>. There aren't many, but the idea's spring up around post #47'ish onwards..
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2008
    Hmm... well I was thinking the 'scenario' for the tutorial would place you in the thick of battle; and it would guide you with waypoints and a voice-over and tips. The situation would change as you complete objectives, and so would your objectives/lessons. At some point you'll even have to enter the command chair. It's more of a hands-on sort of tutorial, and it's a little different to the usual.
    <!--quoteo(post=1670730:date=Feb 17 2008, 09:24 AM:name=ArcL!ght)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ArcL!ght @ Feb 17 2008, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1670730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno if sum1 said this... but

I've looked some inspiration for this and would be nice if there were some undrivable Cargo Mechs in cargo areas\bays like those in Aliens (the movie, alien 2 from 1986)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Undrivable to look at, or undriveable that are moving around and "doing stuff," like loading crates and moving missles and whatnot?
  • afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
    I guess the "tutorial" in the title is a bit misleading. A big part of the training camp idea is that it would be useful for advanced players to hone their skills. Besides teaching new players the basics, it would let advanced players perfect skills such as aiming and movement and let them track their progress.

This isn't a good way to make a tutorial, because it would be too time consuming to program (i'd imagine). Do you think people would use this kind of training to improve their own skill or would most people just want to play in multiplayer?
  • naggynaggy Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46068Members
    I understand what you meant. I remember a few ideas - like sandbox mode, portal style time/skill challenge in particular - which sorta relate to what you are talking about. My original vision of the 'tutorial' wasn't really a tutorial in itself, but more of a training area to hone your skills and get your head around the aspects of gameplay (which is somewhat similar to what your talking about.)

People could always make custom maps that help you learn gameplay though.. I think?