Upgrade requirements

La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
<div class="IPBDescription">biological samples</div>I was wondering about making one more requirement (apart from resources) for weapon upgrades: bodies!

What do I mean by that: to be able to tune weapons to deal more damage vs. a particular life form or Kharaa in general, marines would have to bring a body OR a body part (needs to be knifed out first?) of a killed alien to the base so it can be studied along the weapon upgrade process.

Person holding the biological sample wouldn't be able to shoot, so it would involve - everyones favorite - team work!

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    So, kinda like the research system in Bioshock?

Interesting idea, not super great game mechanic for a multiplayer game, in my opinion.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    It would definitely change the gameplay in a major way.

But is that ok? I'm not sure. It would certainly add an interesting dynamic to the gameplay that could be quite fun.

I can imagine people playing a server and humiliating a pwned enemy by cutting his corpse up for research. Or people complaining that they keep getting killed while trying to carry a sample back to base. Funny stuff, aye.

I say I'm not sure though because it could shift the secondary gameplay (primarly is destroying all enemies, starting with their spawns) from grabbing and holding resource nodes to a capture-the-flag. If that were the case I'm inclined to say no to this idea.

Wouldn't it be better to just "phase" that sample back to base. As in something to commander does instead of having a whole squad carry the "flag" back to base so you can get an upgrade for the team? So say it's like all a marine has to do is "tag" the corpse and it gets disintegrated, phasing back to the base.