NS2 Gameplay

jjr.heartfelt@hotmail.comjjr.heartfelt@hotmail.com Join Date: 2008-05-21 Member: 64301Members
Here's some suggestions that are popping into my mind for NS2. I often get inspired by good music like the song found on the most recent podcast page.. anyways, here goes.

Natural Selection 2 levels, in my opinion should be large enough, not only for 3 Hive locations, but also for 3 Marine start locations.

Dont lose your heads yet, what I'm suggesting is to have 3 "Possible" marine start locations. So when the game starts, both teams "Dont" know where the other team is located.

It would also be great if Resource Gas locations were "Randomized", meaning there would always be the same # of resources but their locations would be different each game...thus making a very Unpredictable game to start with.

This change would make the game about "Exploring" an infested ship, rather then going to known areas, with predictable out comes.

To further emphasize the exploration of the ship marine and kharaa maps should be removed, to be replaced with a "radar" system that emphasizes "exploring the unknown".

Marines:
Only the commander would receive the full map, although it will be blacked out in "unexplored" areas of the ship. As new areas are explored the the black areas will be removed, and the commander will be able to see a map of what's normally their @ the start of the game. This means the command can't see enemy aliens or structures, but the commander may HEAR everything within explored areas but NOT infested areas. The Commander will only be able to receive a complete View of enemies and enemy structures when a marine or marine structure is nearby. This will keep the commander focused on his marines and what they find, and also encourages very close monitoring of his marines as they explore.(Marine start is the exception, the commander receives a complete view of marine start)

The actual infantry/heavies etc marines don't receive a map, but instead a short range radar somewhere on their screen. So marines will be less focused on their map, and more focused on what's in front of them. Marines will actually have to look for way points instead of using their map. This creates a DEPENDENCE on the commander to Guide his marines through this mysterious infested ship. Without way points or warning of what could be ahead, marines would blindly explore the ship most likely resulting in their death.

This is a good time to bring up my idea to add to the new squad systems Unknown worlds seems to be working on. I know the idea is great, but that only makes it easier for the commander to select groups, that doesn't encourage players to stay in groups. I think med packs and ammo should be distributed to all players within a very close group. So if players are close together, when the Commander drops a med pack on one of them the other 2 players nearby receive a small health bonus.. if it was an ammo... then they'd receive a small amount of ammo. Tho the player who directly recieves the ammo or health, gets the full benefit.

Kharaa:
Aliens STILL have a map, BUT their maps are blacked out in the beginning of the game, just like the commanders. The only lifeforms capable of revealing the map for all players, are "Gorges". The visible area around a gorge on the map is a "balanced(large)" size, and all marines moving within that area are detected by the Gorge with slow blinking red dots on the entire "team's map"

This only further adds to the importance of Gorges in game play, and encourages aliens to protect their gorges who act as their eyes and gather resources for the team. With this in place, marines would have to think twice before rushing a gorge, because it's likely that he's got some backup.

Infact this would make Killing a Gorge, something to get excited about, but not for long because if you've downed a Gorge their entire alien team knows the area which you're in, so good luck getting away.

If their's an alien commander:
Gorges also spread infestation around the ship.. blacking out the view of the Marine commander's map*even if its been explored*(This means to view it, it would need to be re-explored and infestation would have to be removed)...

And all infested areas act as "ears" for the alien commander.. the alien comm isn't alerted to any marines traveling on the infestied, but is allowed to hear everything in an infested area.

well.. i think this is enough for now..

Comments

• DeathsiegeDeathsiege Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51580Members
    Pros: Creates a lot of nice "cause+effect" situations for both teams, making them think twice about a decision, randomization increases replayability.

Cons: Why would the marines NOT know the layout of their own base? Even if they were infilitrating from elsewhere, there would be bound to be a map somewhere. Also, Without a map, players would just simply get lost. They would wander around for 5 minutes until someone on the other team finds them and kills them, making experienced players even more hateful of new ones. With this drastic change, the team would only be as strong as its weakest link, and then it would be votebanned, and the link would likely say "Screw this game, im gonna go play L4D, TF2, OR CSS!" and also...ALIEN COMMANDER? no, no alien commander.
  • jjr.heartfelt@hotmail.comjjr.heartfelt@hotmail.com Join Date: 2008-05-21 Member: 64301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1694721:date=Nov 30 2008, 11:13 PM:name=Deathsiege)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deathsiege @ Nov 30 2008, 11:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1694721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pros: Creates a lot of nice "cause+effect" situations for both teams, making them think twice about a decision, randomization increases replayability.

Cons: Why would the marines NOT know the layout of their own base? Even if they were infilitrating from elsewhere, there would be bound to be a map somewhere. Also, Without a map, players would just simply get lost. They would wander around for 5 minutes until someone on the other team finds them and kills them, making experienced players even more hateful of new ones. With this drastic change, the team would only be as strong as its weakest link, and then it would be votebanned, and the link would likely say "Screw this game, im gonna go play L4D, TF2, OR CSS!" and also...ALIEN COMMANDER? no, no alien commander.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the reply...

after reading your cons heres what i came up with

Here's another thought.. perhaps marines could receive a "map", only when in a squad of 3 or more. This encourages "traveling" in groups. When a player distances himself too far from the group his map will become jittery before cutting off..