Infestation and Armor Damage

SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">promoting 'teamwork' and making infestation more significant</div>Disclaimer: I am not endorsing or criticizing this idea, this is meant to be a thought exercise. I am not aware if this idea has been proposed before - searches for 'infestation', 'armor', and 'damage' did not yield anything significant when I scanned through the results.

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->The basic framework/premise of the idea<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> (these are subject to change as this discussion expands)

- all marines were pre-equipped with welders
- marines entering into an area with dynamic infestation were subjected to a consistent rate of armor damage point deductions (each marine would have his/her armor drained by the dynamic infestation, which maybe creates a similar kind of gas cloud as spores from the Lerk but less concentrated
- the exact value of the armor point deductions would be based upon the amount of infestation that is present: the more infestation that there is, the more concentrated the spore-like atmosphere would be
- heavy armor would be better protected than light armor, although not completely (justified based on some additional compounds in the atmosphere around infestation that are not present in a spore cloud)
- <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->[a controversial point:] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> once the armor runs out, health starts being drained since the marine's airways and flesh start being directly exposed to this atmosphere

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Immediate Consequences<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

- a physically foreboding atmosphere for marines entering an infested area
- an incentive for marines to weld each other that they are constantly reminded of by their own falling armor
- marines would be more vulnerable if traveling in smaller groups or alone (this has a link to the "anti-rambo" thread)

Now, this does not really prevent marines from going solo and being effective, but it makes it much more difficult in that marines would die quicker from static defenses and alien players if they make direct offensives into infested territory.

Aye/nay? Why/why not?

Comments

• Killer RicochetKiller Ricochet Join Date: 2008-12-03 Member: 65639Members
    After a re-read in antirambo topic (that has derailed a lot but lifted up another important question), anything favorable to "squadworking" over "loneworking" is welcome to me. I think the drain rate should be low, so a squad could shotgun down a hive without having to welder everytime, and don't giving a significative disadvantage in quick battles (maybe 15 seconds until becoming a worry thing?). Otherwise, agreed. Flamethrower will become more useful too.

And the controversial point...
    I really don't know, but I'm sure that, if this does takes HP, it shouldn't kill (let atleast 1 hp), so aliens will still needing to cover defenseless hives against single marines.

But I don't think this will actually nerf lone marines, if flamethrower be an Add-On.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like more of an annoyance than anything. It might promote teamwork, but I think there are more active methods of doing that. Besides, infestation will be prevalent and welders might not be.

It sounds like gameplay changes in NS2 are reducing the impact of automatic defenses like turrets and OCs to promote more involved player-orientated gameplay and reduce stalemates or long end games. This would contradict that movement.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    Re:KR
    The use of a flamethrower by a lone marine is an interesting problem. I'm not sure how the devs are going to balance that even without this idea.

Re:PK
    I don't think I am following why you think this idea would lead away from player-oriented gameplay or produce stalemates or long end games. As it is, it is pretty easy to take down the alien team once marines are winning. This idea would strengthen the alien middle game, where aliens have a substantial amount of DI on the map, but once marines roll around with flamethrowers, grenades, and sieges the DI is going to fall off if the aliens can not respond appropriately.

I agree that this is an annoyance - but more so a deterrent of unilateral play on alien turf. If marines work together, they can easily clear the DI and claim more of the map for themselves. If you think of DI like the Zerg creep in SC that retreats when buildings are destroyed, that is what I am thinking of with DI. Also, keep in mind that welders should be auto-equipped on marines for this idea - so everyone would have them.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Sounds like that'd be difficult to implement, and while I like the fact that it would promote teamwork, doesn't necessarily mean a lone marine couldn't just tolerate it die, respawn, and go at it all over again.

I think teamwork should be promoted by opposition classes to be able to easily kill a stray player (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=105320" target="_blank">check my idea for the Renk class for an anti-stray alien class</a>).
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    However it's implemented I think it's a good idea for being on infestation to provide a significant advantage to aliens. It puts more emphasis on territory control, as aliens want to spread the infestation across the map and marines want to fight it back, reclaiming the map as they go. In NS the only real measure of territory control is res nodes, but I like the idea of territory ownership actually meaning something beyond res flow. It helps to define a battle front and focus the action.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    I also think that this idea would be easy to integrate with another idea I mentioned for quicker end-games (to solve marine turtling), where the DI (or creep) would become more aggressive after third hive and start expanding towards the marine base location, harming buildings and marines along the way. In addition to having a fourth hive location at marine start itself, that would resolve the problem completely and make DI much more meaningful.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    I just think there are better solutions. For example, making marines who are on DI visible to kharaa. (unlike parasites, they'd disappear when off DI) This focuses on making players more active participants rather than some automatic armor ruster. The original idea just doesn't sound fun for either side. It's just another thing for players to learn.