Skulk Ambush Upgrade (possibly other life-forms)

SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Ability to attach to a marine's back</div>The idea is pretty simple and I think that it has been recreated before either through plugins or in a different mod of HL. In order to boost the effectiveness of ambushing, a skulk could be given the ability to attach to the back of an ambushed marine. If the marine is alone, he would not be able to fight the skulk as it tears him/her apart. Bonus points for moving in a squad of at least two marines, where if the attacked marine can turn around properly then the team-mate can shoot the skulk.

This can also be extended to other lifeforms, such as the fade and lerk, who would also be given this ability.

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited December 2008
    I suggested something like this in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=105200&hl=" target="_blank">Left 4 Dead</a> thread. I recognize your suggestion is more to prevent marines from going alone, but I think the negative helpless feeling of slow death is too much. I'd rather it be manageable by a single marine, but still giving the ambushing skulk an advantage.
    <!--quoteo(post=1694429:date=Nov 26 2008, 12:02 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Nov 26 2008, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1694429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...It would be another weapon in the skulk's arsenal, not replacing the leap/bite mechanics...<ul><li> Secondary fire of bite and/or leap is a latch on attack.</li><li> Initial bite may or may not do reduced damage.</li><li> <b>No</b> knockdown/disable/slow/visual imparement.</li><li> Damage dealt around 15 per second. Enough to make it faster to bite opponent normally.</li><li> Possible balancing features:<ul><li> Secondary knife fire insta-hits.</li><li> Welder knockback.</li><li> Allow skulks on side/front to be knocked off with quickstrike(weapon switch not needed)</li></ul></li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Here are the possible benefits with some more refinements on the post.
    <!--quoteo(post=1694437:date=Nov 26 2008, 02:42 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Nov 26 2008, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1694437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because I love [lists]<ul><li> Encourages marines to cover each other</li><li> New form of "baiting"(one hops on back to force knife, next skulk takes advantage)</li><li> Newbies can now "follow" a jumping marine(only in an ambush situation, and at the cost of being vulnerable and doing much less damage)</li><li> Biting and moving is still quicker so it doesn't remove the upper caps on skulk skill</li></ul>In order to prevent marine movement from being nerfed too much I have a couple of further limitations:<ul><li> Bite cooldown empties and freezes while in use(so must wait entire bite cooldown <b>after release</b> before biting)</li><li> Uses adren(like charge/blink)</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I believe there's also another thread about a similar leaping +knockdown / grab system
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    Yea, lolly has it down.