Trouble with OpenGL (mouse lag, e.g. FPS drop)

IkarosIkaros Join Date: 2009-03-02 Member: 66606Members
edited March 2009 in Tech Support
I am having problems running Natural-Selection in OpenGL.

When I run the game in OpenGL it seems like the computer is under a lot deal of stress, I would like to call it FPS drop, but it is not. The FPS stays at 60 FPS when I use OpenGL AND D3D. Even when I play a siege map, or when the marine base is sieged by the aliens, the lowest my FPS will drop to is 56 (I think it was).

In other words, it feels like my mouse is lagging behind, or if it has an insane Mouse Filter, even though the Mouse filter is off.

---

The problem began when I bought the GeForce 7950 GX2 in august 2006. With, of course, an entire new system. So I did not know which computer part was faulty. Nearly three years later I bought a new system, downloaded Natural-Selection (last night), and the problem is still there.

---

It is kind of shabby, playing the game in D3D, with a 16 bit color table. Pointy aliens! Green / blue cracked walls!

---

<b>My current system</b>
<b>OS: </b>Windows XP HE
<b>MB: </b>GA-X48T-DQ6
<b>CPU: </b>Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz, 6MB, 1333Mhz
<b>RAM: </b>OCZ DDR3, 1333MHz, 7-7-7-20, 1.65V
<b>VGA: 7950GX2 1GB, GDDR3</b> (OpenGL 2.0 support)
<b>HDD: </b>Dual Raptor 10k rpm x1.5

<b>My previous system</b>
<b>OS: </b>Windows XP PRO (pirated version)
<b>MB: </b>MSI 945P Platinum
<b>CPU: </b>Intel Pentium D 915 2.8GHz, 4MB, 800MHz
<b>RAM: </b>Corsair XMS2 6400 DDR2, 800MHz, 5-5-5-15, 1.90V
<b>VGA: 7950GX2 1GB, GDDR3</b> (OpenGL 2.0 support)
<b>HDD: </b>Raptor 10k rpm / Maxtor 7.5k rpm

Comments

• KazbarKazbar Join Date: 2004-10-20 Member: 32368Members, Constellation
    How much ram do you have?
  • IkarosIkaros Join Date: 2009-03-02 Member: 66606Members
    edited March 2009
    Current system has 4GB DDR3 RAM (<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->-0.7GB<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, since Windows XP PRO and Windows XP HE can only access so much.)

Previous system had 2GB of DDR2 RAM

---

I loaded up Half-Life: Deathmatch just now, and got the same problem there as I did with Natural Selection. Counter-Strike: Source seems to work just fine though, and I have over 35 FPS while playing the game Crysis. All other games by the way, no matter how craving they are, run over 40 FPS, so it can't be Hardware related. It has to be software related. Either GeForce 7950GX2 won't run the old 1.0v of OpenGL properly and I don't have the right update, patch, or software to run Half-Life or a modification of Half-Life in OpenGL, or the old Half-Life engine hasn't been updated for the past three years to run GeForce 7950GX2 properly.

Ps. When I bought the computer parts in early January, I boosted the FSB to 400, from the original 333, to get 3600MHz. SO! with the motherboard I have right now, including the gold painted RAM circuits, the water-cooling and silentpipe, I SHOULD be able to run Half-Life and Natural Selection just fine considering it's a game from 1998. I am currently running the FSB on 333 and the Memory Multiplier on x9 (3GHz), with <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->3(.3)GB RAM<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> to support it.

CPU : 2999.94 MHz
    CPU Temp : 35 degree Celsius <b><<--- stabilized</b>
    Core temp #1 : 49 degree Celsius
    Core temp #2 : 48 degree Celsius
    Core Load #1 : 2% <b><<---------------- stabilized</b>
    Core Load #2 : 1% <b><<---------------- stabilized</b>
    GFX temp : 52 degree Celsius
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    Try using D3D, 32 bit and setting the priority of ns.exe to low.
    I got the same mouse lag when I don't set the .exe to low or when I'm using OpenGL. Using OpenGL isn't possible because of low fps (every half second or so)
  • IkarosIkaros Join Date: 2009-03-02 Member: 66606Members
    <b>Direct3D</b> using 16 bit PPe (In-Game FPS, and Fraps FPS is displayed on each side.)
    <a href="http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9099/d3d.jpg" target="_blank">http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9099/d3d.jpg</a>

The reason why I have it in 16 bit is because 32 bit is unavailable in Direct3D, or so it tells me after the game has shut down. But the reason why I do not want to use Direct3D in the first place, is not only because Direct3D was outdated in 1999, it makes my eyes bleed and my VGA card cry in overheating agony (and quite frankly so will all VGA cards using GDDR3+ technology, they will die a lot quicker using the old MS DirectDraw software.)

<b>OpenGL</b> using 32 bit PPe (In-Game FPS, and Fraps FPS is displayed on each side.)
    <a href="http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/263/opengl.jpg" target="_blank">http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/263/opengl.jpg</a>

This is what I want. My problem on the other hand is, that this "mouse" problem only occurs while using OpenGL. And this "mouse" problem can only be described as an insane FPS drop, even though it is not.

--

But I should probably refer this problem to Steam or Valve, since it also occurs in Half-Life: Deathmatch.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Did you try setting the hl.exe priority to low (as suggested) Ctrl+Alt+Delete [proccesses] right click & set to low - I used to have to do this for a weird mouse lag problem I was having. It was a pain in the ass to do each time you run the game but it helped me at the time.

Also you can try turning mouse acceleration off for just NS by adding this to your NS launch properties in Steam:
    -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd
    And see if that helps at all.

My troubles went away when I got a different mouse. Perhaps updating your mouse drivers could help>?
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation