(Un)Official Fade suggestion Thread

13»

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715162:date=Jul 1 2009, 07:30 PM:name=Uncanny Valet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uncanny Valet @ Jul 1 2009, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, with the "dynamic lighting" that may be a part of the game, I think it would be cool and appropriate if the lights dim (or go completely dark in close proximity) near a Fade. Think about it: If a Fade is coming down a hallway (or blinking) and the lights are flickering and dimming and going completely dark, it would be:

1: completely atmospheric
    2: help a Fade's teammates (in setting up an ambush)
    3: scare and alert marines, but keep the confusion of a Fade attack

Also, in regards to Blink, I always imagined it to work like the current iteration, except the Fade would become a black cloud (that would be, in this case, complete darkness... like The Nightcrawler's *BAMF*) and when exiting Blink, it would take a quick moment for the Fade to solidify and he would "burst" out of the cloud, maybe with his eyes glowing bright red for a split second.

The cloud itself could take some damage and maybe work a little bit like quickly-disappearing umbra, or like an octopus ink of darkness.

Basically my idea revolves around the Fade being able to use darkness as his medium.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be pretty cool. It would help nearby players ambush with the fade. Although I got the impression the fade was supposed to be more of a loner this time around.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    ok, ive zipped through the thread, fade supposed to be a surgical striker yea? this may mean that his offensive capabilties increased but his hp and armor may decrease.

making it possible that if a marine unloads a clip then pistols he can actually solo, but making it something very rare(fade can't blink in and swipe properly, deserves to die?)

so something that along the lines of a blink that has teleportation or a cloak, such as the longer the fade is blinking, say 1 second = full cloak but 0.25= 25% cloaked, thus making it a "fade" fading in and out of marines sights slashing them at every corner but fading off.

Very awesome scene could be produced from this, a marine shooting a skulk, and another marine down the corridor running to help, marine kills skulk and taunts laughing goin yea what now, then something off in the distance rips his face off, then fades off to the side.

or in a group, the marines are firing, but the fade has the ability to fade while blinking and next second somethings in the grenade launchers face, hits him to death by the time the allies relise it blinks off.

now with this blink must be say, take 50% less energy then it did on ns1, but make it travel 50% slower. so that its fade effect can take place.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2009
    First of all, I like the OP's idea. Second, I haven't read the rest of the thread yet so I don't know what's been said. But...
    <!--quoteo(post=1703060:date=Mar 20 2009, 07:14 AM:name=BCSeph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BCSeph @ Mar 20 2009, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1703060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--The line would increase in length quickly enough so long teleports dont take forever waiting for the line to get there, but not too quick as to be too hard to make precise jumps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have the line pointer 'accelerate'. i.e. at the starting point it extends at slower rate (i.e. more precision) but then it gets faster for long jumps (since you won't need as much precision if you want to exit or jump a long distance).

<!--quoteo(post=1703087:date=Mar 20 2009, 12:29 PM:name=ZeroFate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZeroFate @ Mar 20 2009, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1703087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Surgical striking only works with a distraction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perhaps the 'cool effect' for the blinked-out fade that the OP was talking about could be a sort of 'optical illusion'. Blinking leaves a "holographic" "clone" of the fade for a second or two that will itself blink out of existence.

It occurs to me that the fade needs some way of instantly turning around 180 degrees. And you should be able to blink past other players and objects - but not walls.
    Ex. facing a marine, blink behind him, rotate 180, attack.
    Ex2. facing the back of a marine, blink behind him, attack, rotate 180, blink out.
    Well, it'd make things simpler, anyway. You could do without. Fades would want some pretty high mouse sensitivity then.

Finished reading the thread. Not a huge fan / have no opinion of the other fade ideas. In my mind, blink is a teleport.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715204:date=Jul 2 2009, 01:39 PM:name=Tha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tha @ Jul 2 2009, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok, ive zipped through the thread, fade supposed to be a surgical striker yea? this may mean that his offensive capabilties increased but his hp and armor may decrease.

making it possible that if a marine unloads a clip then pistols he can actually solo, but making it something very rare(fade can't blink in and swipe properly, deserves to die?)

so something that along the lines of a blink that has teleportation or a cloak, such as the longer the fade is blinking, say 1 second = full cloak but 0.25= 25% cloaked, thus making it a "fade" fading in and out of marines sights slashing them at every corner but fading off.

Very awesome scene could be produced from this, a marine shooting a skulk, and another marine down the corridor running to help, marine kills skulk and taunts laughing goin yea what now, then something off in the distance rips his face off, then fades off to the side.

or in a group, the marines are firing, but the fade has the ability to fade while blinking and next second somethings in the grenade launchers face, hits him to death by the time the allies relise it blinks off.

now with this blink must be say, take 50% less energy then it did on ns1, but make it travel 50% slower. so that its fade effect can take place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suggest you keep note of this idea and when the tools are available start playing with the cinematic functions :)
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    I like the idea of a second plane fades can move in. If you move faster (much faster but still controllable, maybe flying as well to allow teleporting up) in this plane but it only has limited time (adrenalin) you could position yourself perfectly, or make a quick escape. Then smoke, fading in or out, or disintegrating/rematerializing could be used as effect for entering/leaving this plane.

Being able to hang from walls/ceilings could also be useful, would allow the fade to attack from above the marine because no one looks up.
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For TF2 Valve came up with the idea that every time you die, you should see where it came from (that's why the freezecam) and even more important, you should feel that you've could avoided it somehow. In my oponion this is a very good approach, as this helps players learning how to play (i.e. checking the roof for skulks) and avoids some frustration.
    A fade just poping up behind you in a split second sounds frustrating. That's why i'll like to see blinking more as moving fast rather than teleporting. The FOV changing technique some pages earlier paired with this chronicles of rid###### semi-transparent ghost moving thing, seems perfect to me.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1715285:date=Jul 2 2009, 03:40 PM:name=Brute)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brute @ Jul 2 2009, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For TF2 Valve came up with the idea that every time you die, you should see where it came from (that's why the freezecam) and even more important, you should feel that you've could avoided it somehow. In my oponion this is a very good approach, as this helps players learning how to play (i.e. checking the roof for skulks) and avoids some frustration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I absolutely hate this idea! Nothing more annoying than killing someone from your uber sniping position and getting meleed by him a moment later...
    How about kill-cam then? (a la CoD)
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    The fade blink was actually greatly improved on 2.0, with the fade actually being seen moving. They did that to one, stop him from getting stuck, and two, to balance the game. A focus fade would kill an entire team no problem if he was to teleport to a marine, hit him once and teleport away from a room. Then doing this all the time, along with regen, and metabolize, the fade would easily kill off the entire team imo.

Fade should be the same as it is now. Or, just change his last ability. It wasn't used by a lot of players, even though it was quite useful. ( i'm talking about the acid)
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    All I know, is that the Fade from 3.0 was the most fun-to-maneuver character OF ANY GAME EVER. So I hope the spirit of the extreme maneuverability of the Fade is retained in its NS2 incarnation. LONG LIVE BLADED JEEBUS
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It plays good, but it looks pretty stupid.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    <!--quoteo(post=1703396:date=Mar 24 2009, 03:27 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Mar 24 2009, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1703396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone remember <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80722&hl=" target="_blank">tankefugl's fade ability</a> he coded and even showed? That's how blink should be ladies and gentlemen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that feels too much like stealth. It's not really usable while fighting due to the warm-up and cooldown times; you just use it to enter or leave combat. There's not much room for dexterity-based skill under this model (although it allows plenty of tactical decisions). [Aside to any devs/playtesters reading this topic: see <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=97102" target="_blank">here</a> for other opinions.]

I favor the instant line-of-sight blink of 1.04. You can really use it while fighting to dodge attacks and close distance, along with its entry/exit uses.

I would propose one possible modification, however, which would serve both to allow the fade greater control over the teleport and to limit its power in large rooms. Let the player hold the blink key to "charge" it up, and on release teleport the fade in a straight line a distance proportional to the duration the key was held. Short distance blinks would be nearly instantaneous and usable as part of the fade's melee toolkit, but longer blinks would have a warm-up time similar to that present in Tankefugl's blink.

Another remark: technical difficulty aside, the ability to blink through walls would add another map balance complication and I don't think it's a good idea.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715890:date=Jul 6 2009, 02:10 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Jul 6 2009, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would propose one possible modification, however, which would serve both to allow the fade greater control over the teleport and to limit its power in large rooms. Let the player hold the blink key to "charge" it up, and on release teleport the fade in a straight line a distance proportional to the duration the key was held. Short distance blinks would be nearly instantaneous and usable as part of the fade's melee toolkit, but longer blinks would have a warm-up time similar to that present in Tankefugl's blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is exactly the OP's idea. And I approve. We've managed to come full circle. Well done, gentlemen.
  • Cheezy104Cheezy104 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67792Members
    edited July 2009
    I agree with the above post.
    This would make it easy to attack and blink at the same time and also getting quick escapes.
    It would take a while to be able to time and aim it right, but that's good!

Also, Fade needs something as a distraction.
    I liked the idea of the Fade having a black smoke of trail behind him, but I'm not sure if that would be good gameplay wise.
    What about giving the Gorge a smoke bomb kind of ability. It would make sense since the Gorge is a support class and it would promote teamwork a lot, and it would help Fades and Skulks a lot.

What about giving the Fade a passive ability which makes the marines' vision slightly blurry and dizzy for a short time (2 seconds?) when the Fade teleports close to that marine?

and please don't give the Fade a ranged attack, or make that ranged attack something special which doesn't deal much damage. I've always seen the Fade as a creepy melee assassin.
    The Gorge and Lurk (?) probably already have ranged attacks.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715934:date=Jul 6 2009, 09:33 PM:name=Cheezy104)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cheezy104 @ Jul 6 2009, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and please don't give the Fade a ranged attack, or make that ranged attack something special which doesn't deal much damage. I've always seen the Fade as a creepy melee assassin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Truth. Fade = ninja.
  • valkiuzvalkiuz Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68066Members
    i like the idea of fade blinking but i think that is just too hard to kill especially grabbing your friend along as well (think of ff on)

and i think if you oging to add cloak in fade then i guess SC doesn't have it needs that much then :S

i say that blink should be something like this

you should see a blur motion picture of fade trailing after the fade that blinks so you kinda know where he went

it likes you see a really fast moving object you see a blur something like that

well i dont really get the idea myself but just an idea hahaha
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    The devs said the new fade model may not have the huge saber claws anymore so maybe the playstyle isn't about that hit and run and repeat like in NS1 (which I felt was pretty boring, for a marine)

Maybe it should be more about supporting and less about two shotting marines.

1. Attack
    Less damage than it was in NS1, or maybe mainly for applying debuffs or stuff to your enemy

2. Blink / Charge
    If you press your right mouse button you can toggle a blink out of reality and walk (not fly) around very fast, leaving a trail of something (blue mirrow images, gas whatever) you are not invincible but you take reduced damage (either through your improved speed, or % wise) this should be the main ability to travel in and out of combat or around the map. If you use the secondary attack of blink (or hold down your right mouse button) you can power up a charge at a certain location you are facing (it's more like you stand still for some seconds to just juggernaut like rush into that direction, maybe even loose control) you stop charging if you hit something, if you hit marines you brutally knock down every player for some seconds.

3. Smoke / Building Debuff (I think the small thing that corrodes buildings and is attachable is a very nice idea, because it forces marines to that area to destroy it and gives some possibilities to set up traps on the way, but it shouldn't completly destroy the building on its own, more like forcing a welder marine to the position to repair it)

4. Nightcrawler Grab / More smoke or confusing stuff for blink if you got 3 Hives up (Should be the last ability, because totally removing one player from the team feels like devour and sucks a bit imho)

Vision (F hotkey :) ) Maybe the fade should have some improved Vision via the F hotkey to highlight marines in different colours depending on their equipment, lets say Green is LMG / Blue is HMG / Red is GL / White is Support Weapon (or maybe skip the "white" part and always show him the primary weapon, it would be funny though if a marine switches weapons all the time :P ) Just for the fade to easy detect his victims .... OR ... after the fade hit a enemy he is highlighted with the F vision (different colour) until he is dead or the fade decided to hit another enemy.

So my point is that the fade should enable skulks to go for a direct attack (not ambush) and my suggestion is that we shouldn't skip that it should be possible to kill the fade or at least do some damage to stop him attacking for a while. I don't like the blink like it is in v3.2, because we already have a flying alien and (even if it doesn't work like a lerk) it just looks like one and thats enough for a reason to not keep it like it is.
    WHAT? I liked the mantis claws.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    edited July 2009
    I like the way the fade is going but...
    In addition to tankefugl, all the colors go opposite, making a really dark seen bright and trippy but an especially bright one dark.
    It takes a lot of adrenaline and speed to go through people. They can not go through structures.
    Any one that gets too close too a blink gets about half a screen full of dark vortexes or some other partially blinding special effect. The important part is for it to be directly of their screen, none of this fog stuff or other ignorable effects. Make them really strain to figure out whats going on. I'm think L4D does this with fog effects.

PS anyone seen the "blink" episode of dr who? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MogCPRxlg&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5MogCPRxlg...feature=related</a>
    PPS: juice, no the funnest thing to run around in was a shriek from tribes2