Aion the game, your impressions

Browser_ICEBrowser_ICE Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6944Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Curious about it</div>If anyone has tried Aion for at least one month, I would like to have your opinion on it.

I know it seams to have good graphics but that is not what I want to know. I want your impressions on anything besides graphics.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The MMO?
    /me dials 1-800-GEMMY
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    edited May 2009
    lol Align :3

I've not played it I'm afraid; I've been rather behind on my MMOing these days.

I know a fair bit about it but without the temperance of actual play my impressions are no more than educated guesswork or hearsay.
    PvE Combat looks fairly stiff in the vids (lots of standing about doing canned animations) though one thing of interest is that they have a movement modifier to your stats (e.g. if you're moving backwards your parry/block rate increases, strafing ups your dodge and moving forward increases your attack power.) Sadly there seems to be some arguement over whether these are effective enough to merit use and it seems that moving (and flying) drops your defence stat. Supposedly there's a good few moves that knock people about and whatnot so hopefully PvP will be a bit more mobile in spite of that.

Flying is always fun in any game and that's one of the big selling points of Aion (along with it's customisation system which looks fairly good for a korean game :p ). Flying is limited though... you can only fly for so long before your wings pop away again (though flight speed and duration are 'stats' so you can buff up to fly for longer).

General consensus I've heard is that it's incredibly well polished if a lil' grindy.

Sorry I wasn't much help :o
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Is it actually flying though, or is it more like "swimming in air?" Or "walking, only with three dimensions?" Do you maintain forward momentum to keep aloft? Do you climb and dive to change altitude? Do you bank to change directions? I've seen exactly ONE MMO to date that did this, and it was an absolutely delightful way to travel.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1706479:date=May 7 2009, 07:34 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 7 2009, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it actually flying though, or is it more like "swimming in air?" Or "walking, only with three dimensions?" Do you maintain forward momentum to keep aloft? Do you climb and dive to change altitude? Do you bank to change directions? I've seen exactly ONE MMO to date that did this, and it was an absolutely delightful way to travel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is magic flying.

And what MMO was that?
    <!--quoteo(post=1706512:date=May 8 2009, 01:39 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ May 8 2009, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is magic flying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That tells me nothing at all.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1706537:date=May 8 2009, 06:15 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ May 8 2009, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That tells me nothing at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it is magic, thus not 'actual flying'.
    So what, it's swimming in air like WoW does it? LAME.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    thansal, lolfighter is asking if it has acceleration and inertia, how it controls.