loading maps on the fly

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">no more loading screens</div>Imagine this - a map ends, the players are in the ready room for that map, they are having a chat and victory chant etc, and during this time, a bulk head door opens, the players walk through it into a tunnel/phase gate/space shuttle which then opens up another bulk head door and this leads to the ready room for the next map, when most of the players are in the new ready room, the map loads while they chat.

this would do wonders for immersion

now lets say that players don't want the next map to load? they simply stay in the current ready room and the map repeats the round -its kind of like a voting system

games like dungeon siege did it, so why not - with people having gigs and gigs of ram these days.

if this is done well, then imagine where it could lead to for something like ns3 -> a giant space station with 100's of rooms connected by bulkheads with a maze 100's of tunnels and vents, that all dynamically load as you approach them, or while you are in a bulk head - with perhaps even hundreds of players and 10's of commanders.

Comments

• GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    If NS2 uses a BSP based engine, then it really wouldn't be possible. Dynamic anything in BSP is very costly, and loading entire portions of levels would cripple most any engine that is based on it. This is all assuming you figure some way to erase mapping boundaries or create some sort of entity that dynamically loads a new level and "attaches" it to the current one.

Regardless, if the engine wasn't already designed to do this, it would take re-writing massive amounts of code and testing it all which would delay NS2 for many more months or years.

I once heard of a PS2 game that did something similar to this, and it cost the game developer well over a million dollars and almost a year to finish.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    Do what the campaign did in HL2, but then it wouldn't be any different than just loading the map normally.
  • NEDMNEDM Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58884Members
    Cool idea, but it seems a bit ambitious. On the other hand, I think it would be really nice if at the end of a map it pre-loaded the next map in the rotation to minimize or remove the load times on a map change all together. Obviously a manual change would still result in a loading screen, but still over all I think it would be nice to have.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    It probably a nice immersion thingy if it was polished to perfection, but I'd still rather have 5 more FPS in the actual game and some more development time spent on balancing and fine tuning.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I agree with Bac.
    Moreover I prefer faster loading times over slow loading times for the sake of chatting, running around and whatever.
  • Eternaly_LostEternaly_Lost Join Date: 2004-11-20 Member: 32907Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game could very well already support this, but not have it enabled. They wrote the engine, and as such, we don't know just how good it is at doing x y or z, unless they tell us or when it comes out.

Now due to the fact they have LUA for the weapons, I think they would have at least planned this in the game, maybe not on this level. For all we know this could have been nexus. Or BUS if you rather call it.

However the problem with all loading screen less games, is they have to restrict where you can go at anyone time, or load everything. It is like Morrowind, you don't get a loading screen walking around outside, but if you try to teleport with recall, instant loading screen.

Besides if they write this well, you can get more fps, because you have to load less into memory, so you can work more on where you are. It just a pain to do it to that level though, but there is no reason why they can not.
  • efektzefektz Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23665Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1714460:date=Jun 28 2009, 02:20 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 28 2009, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->games like dungeon siege did it, so why not - with people having gigs and gigs of ram these days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I only have 2gigs :(

You can buy all of us more ram if you want.
  • KungFuSquirrelKungFuSquirrel Basher of Muttons Join Date: 2002-01-26 Member: 103Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited June 2009
    You could actually do this in Unreal via level streaming, as well as a number of other engines, but it's typically not used in a MP environment outside of coop (UT3 avoids all level streaming outside of its campaign mode, for example), and even then can run into quite a few hurdles based on where people are and what's loaded around them, and result in lots of overhead on the server. This typically performs significantly better on consoles than on PCs, and also is the biggest factor in getting large game levels to run in otherwise "low" memory footprints.

The Unreal design, just for your information, is to maintain what's called a persistent level that represents the entire level. The map then can contain any number of sublevels that are loaded and unloaded as needed based on area volumes or scripting. As you enter a volume or hit a script trigger, the newly loaded level will stream in the background, becoming visible only when it has finished loading. When you leave the area or otherwise tell the game to drop the level, it immediately dumps it and then wipes it from active memory a short time later. This allows for completely seamless transitions between levels (provided they share the same world space, though you could append HL/HL2-style landmarks to the system) with no need for loading screens. You'll see this within Gears of War chapters (anytime you walk slow for a radio communication, the next level is streaming in the background; the slow speed prevents you from escaping the level and limits how much needs to be loaded at once), or in the elevators in Mass Effect.

The linked ready room idea is actually really interesting, and not dissimilar to a good hub-based SP campaign design. That said, don't plan on seeing it in NS2, but Max's design for things seems like it ould handle this relatively easily in a future version.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714534:date=Jun 29 2009, 07:45 AM:name=KungFuSquirrel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KungFuSquirrel @ Jun 29 2009, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That said, don't plan on seeing it in NS2, but Max's design for things seems like it ould handle this relatively easily in a future version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that makes me feel fuzzy inside :D
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    It would be nice if when loading the map it loads the ready room first, and then you enter that as soon as its ready and it continues to load the rest of the map in. Means you could chat and play in the ready room while waiting for the main map to load, more interesting then staring at a loading bar.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1714460:date=Jun 28 2009, 08:20 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 28 2009, 08:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1714460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine this - a map ends, the players are in the ready room for that map, they are having a chat and victory chant etc, and during this time, a bulk head door opens, the players walk through it into a tunnel/phase gate/space shuttle which then opens up another bulk head door and this leads to the ready room for the next map, when most of the players are in the new ready room, the map loads while they chat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you played TF2 or other maps like left 4 dead?
    The map loading times are very quick, better loading maps, then a big expensive server.
  • S!KS!K Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68024Members
    Ya. That means that when your walking through a map, it would be loading something. This would take a serious toll on things such as framerate and stuff. I don't think that the waiting time was ever a problem on the first NS1, as long as you had a least a 1.0 gig processor, lol.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1855Members
    Well the latest computer technology allows for the entire game to be processed on the server, and by 'entire' I do mean everything, graphics included. In that sense, what you'd see is merely a window into the game being rendered on the server, which would take an impressive server to do, but in doing so, you could have a super-computer server load a map in one second's time and have all players in the ready room with the map loaded. And by the way, did I mention that you could be using a crappy computer for best graphics? Just need a decent internet connection.

Though I doubt this will happen with natural selection, but in all practicality, would you really want to delay ns2 until they can figure out a way to do something which has never been done before with a half-life2 engine which could take potentially months just because you'd like to have a 'pre-load' ready room? Be honest.
    <!--quoteo(post=1715852:date=Jul 6 2009, 07:27 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 6 2009, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though I doubt this will happen with natural selection, but in all practicality, would you really want to delay ns2 until they can figure out a way to do something which has never been done before with a half-life2 engine which could take potentially months just because you'd like to have a 'pre-load' ready room? Be honest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok i'll be honest.

ns2 isn't on the hl2 engine.

and its not something that needs to be out on first release - they have mentioned several times that they will continue improving ns2
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1715852:date=Jul 5 2009, 01:27 PM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 5 2009, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1715852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the latest computer technology allows for the entire game to be processed on the server, and by 'entire' I do mean everything, graphics included. In that sense, what you'd see is merely a window into the game being rendered on the server, which would take an impressive server to do, but in doing so, you could have a super-computer server load a map in one second's time and have all players in the ready room with the map loaded. And by the way, did I mention that you could be using a crappy computer for best graphics? Just need a decent internet connection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you actually believe that, there's a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you. There's a wide variety of issues that make this model unattractive to anybody who isn't a technologically illiterate, money-grubbing executive.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    You wound me, sir.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you actually believe that, there's a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you. There's a wide variety of issues that make this model unattractive to anybody who isn't a technologically illiterate, money-grubbing executive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never said there weren't issues with that model. If there weren't, games would have long since started being produced in this manner. As it stands, you only have a few internet games using this model.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    Honestly, what we would all really be happy with, is just for the client to not FREEZE between maps...

So everyone goes back to the ready room... and run around... The new map gets loaded... as people finish loading the new map, they are moved to the new ready room, and the old map is unloaded.

In the meantime, players can keep talking to each other and players on slower computers are the last to leave the previous ready room.

Even if the current map unloaded, and your screen went black, as long as you could keep typing and reading what other people type, and talk while listening to other people talking, this would be just as good. A hell of a lot better than twiddling your thumbs looking at L O A D I N G . . .
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's actualy a bomb of an idea.

Basic staging area that's a marine briefing room or some sort of cargo space / passenger room in a shuttle. Doors open when everyone has loaded the new Readyroom and doors there open when the map has been loaded (for each individual?)
    You youngsters! Back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for pacman to load! And we liked it!
    <!--quoteo(post=1716335:date=Jul 8 2009, 06:51 AM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 8 2009, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You youngsters! Back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for pacman to load! And we liked it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or the days when you couldn't touch the joystick while your game was loading or it would corrupt the game and you had to restart the system...

I wonder what the going rate for a working C64 is on ebay?
    ok grandads, time to get an emulator :P
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716379:date=Jul 9 2009, 03:06 AM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 9 2009, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or the days when you couldn't touch the joystick while your game was loading or it would corrupt the game and you had to restart the system...

I wonder what the going rate for a working C64 is on ebay?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ahhh nostalgia
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1716335:date=Jul 8 2009, 12:51 PM:name=Hawkeye)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hawkeye @ Jul 8 2009, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You youngsters! Back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for pacman to load! And we liked it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh... my Atari managed it in under 10 Seconds O_o

...until someone mixed up our power transformers and the thing bursted in flames.