Spotting themes

JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I think were in for a huge surprise</div>Looking at the marine structures so far I cant help but notice that they are MASSIVE! Every building in NS1 was pretty much jump-on-able. They were less like buildings and more like little pods of roughneck utility. The new designs definitely take them to more of a building like appearance (or porta potty ;P ) That and the MASC, its a freaking indoor tank, and its massive!!1 Like regular tank size. Now I cant say much for the aliens cuz they just look meaner, but the new super beefy and volumous look of the marines leads me to think that maps are going to be much more open, with more room to build and fight. Also the fact that there might be multiple commanders.

Everything seems to be broadening (literally) for NS2. I think were in store for some serious epicness when its released :D

Comments

• TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Don't make my hopes up, it's bad as it is :P
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1723004:date=Aug 15 2009, 07:24 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 15 2009, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking at the marine structures so far I cant help but notice that they are MASSIVE! Every building in NS1 was pretty much jump-on-able. They were less like buildings and more like little pods of roughneck utility. The new designs definitely take them to more of a building like appearance (or porta potty ;P ) That and the MASC, its a freaking indoor tank, and its massive!!1 Like regular tank size. Now I cant say much for the aliens cuz they just look meaner, but the new super beefy and volumous look of the marines leads me to think that maps are going to be much more open, with more room to build and fight. Also the fact that there might be multiple commanders.

Everything seems to be broadening (literally) for NS2. I think were in store for some serious epicness when its released :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has already been confirmed that there will be multiple commanders.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    I don't know about that JAmazon...considering the maps are going to be generally smaller, coupled with the fact that the marine buildings do seem to be much bulkier, it doesn't seem like we'll have much room for big open gun fights. Besides... I'm sure they don't want to give rines that big of an advantage.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Well, since they will release the tools of NS2 I doubt all of the maps will be smal.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1723004:date=Aug 15 2009, 09:24 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 15 2009, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the MASC, its a freaking indoor tank, and its massive!!1 Like regular tank size.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Size of a dog?
    I might try to make a map. I'm going to try make a bigger one with lots of different paths.

But I am not so experienced, even less with the NS2 tools.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1723004:date=Aug 15 2009, 08:24 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 15 2009, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking at the marine structures so far I cant help but notice that they are MASSIVE! Every building in NS1 was pretty much jump-on-able. They were less like buildings and more like little pods of roughneck utility. The new designs definitely take them to more of a building like appearance (or porta potty ;P ) That and the MASC, its a freaking indoor tank, and its massive!!1 Like regular tank size. Now I cant say much for the aliens cuz they just look meaner, but the new super beefy and volumous look of the marines leads me to think that maps are going to be much more open, with more room to build and fight. Also the fact that there might be multiple commanders.

Everything seems to be broadening (literally) for NS2. I think were in store for some serious epicness when its released :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:lawngreen--><span style="color:lawngreen"><!--/coloro-->

It has already been confirmed that this game will contain high amounts of awesomeness.. people with a bad heart could DIE from the EXTREME amounts of epic win!

<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Then It's health risk by playing the NS2 :P
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    quick inform FOX news! Having a game that induces heart attacks would create negative publicity = HUGE GAME SALES! :D
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1723004:date=Aug 15 2009, 07:24 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 15 2009, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That and the MASC, its a freaking indoor tank, and its massive!!1 Like regular tank size. Now I cant say much for the aliens cuz they just look meaner, but the new super beefy and volumous look of the marines leads me to think that maps are going to be much more open, with more room to build and fight. Also the fact that there might be multiple commanders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure how you got that the MASC is tank sized. I'd say it's closer to a motorcycle in size.

One of the differences in the NS2 maps from the NS1 maps is that they are more landmark room based, connected by smaller halls, rather then being almost primarily comprised of a network of similar looking hallways and small areas/rooms like many of the original maps. So, while the new maps might not be bigger in size overall, they should be easier to navigate and learn. The start rooms will be the largest, to allow room for a significant base to be built, and to accommodate for marine structures, some (but not all) of which have been increased in size. Then, the second largest areas are the primary expansion rooms on each side of the map.

The larger rooms should be more fun for Lerks to fly around in, as well. Obviously marines dominate in large open areas, so we are making sure there will be plenty of cover in the rooms, and manage the layout in a way that won't lead to aliens being slaughtered.

--Cory
    Thanks Cory! for some reason I had this image of the MASC being a huge hulking vehicle :P
    The videocast showed the size of the MASC compared to a human.
    I know that now, I haven't watched it since last year so forgotted
    I usually watch all the videocasts once a week, and sometimes I listen to all the podcasts.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Yeah if there hasn't been a media release for awhile I sometimes go back and watch some of the vidcasts
    It's nice to watch them, but it has it's side-effects :P
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I should go back and watch them all again.
    It's at least something Natural Selection 2 to do while waiting for news.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723027:date=Aug 15 2009, 05:24 PM:name=XeZo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XeZo @ Aug 15 2009, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:lawngreen--><span style="color:lawngreen"><!--/coloro-->

It has already been confirmed that this game will contain high amounts of awesomeness.. people with a bad heart could DIE from the EXTREME amounts of epic win!

<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a risk I'm willing to take :)
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    To be completely honest, I really like the fact that marines are tiny and the buildings are small. That, coupled with bulkier aliens means that marines are DEFINITELY more fragile than all other lifeforms... it really does give a sense of desperation... Sticking together will be critical - I really hope it works.

Will it work? I hope so. Either way, keep cranking it out UWE!