I see what you did there...

JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
<div class="IPBDescription">very clever devs!</div>The process of evolution/natural selection is mitigated by three factors,

-Trait Variation
-Inheritance
-Selection factors

As long as these three factors are present in any kind of system (living or not) evolution will occur on some time scale.

Now with the devs implementing this LUA code that is easy to modify we can easily see that what the devs have done is create a micro-evolutionary process! Trait variation is characterized by the various LUA scripts that will appear which slightly alter the game play. The selection factor is US, the community. The more fun it is, the more likely we are to gravitate towards that LUA mod. Inheritance would be the devs decisions on whether or not to incorporate the elements of the best/most consistent mods into the vanilla game (via patching or the like). There you have it, NS2 under these pretenses, is not only a game but an evolutionary process towards a grander more accessible game. The name is extremely fitting! :P

historical citation: Armory meds used to be a server script that was picked up and implemented into NS1. Only example I can think of.

Comments

• TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The next generation game.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You've been digging? :P
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    tekoppen why do you keep double posting all the time... or am i missing something?
    <!--quoteo(post=1724263:date=Aug 21 2009, 10:29 AM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Aug 21 2009, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tekoppen why do you keep double posting all the time... or am i missing something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two different days.

And refreshing.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    its still two posts in a row, the edit button is there for a reason.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    jesus guys, the moderators have jobs for a reason, leave it to them....

Keeping it on topic, interesting point.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    I don't think I know of a game engine that will be as easily moddable as NS2 from what the devs have been saying. Have they even got a name for it? The graphics are at least in the source range from what I can see and for me thats more than enough.

On a side note isn't this what valve are trying to do with the source engine? Gabe keeps talking about an engine overhaul for episode 3, but rather than starting from scratch they're bolting in new components and changing old ones...
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1724295:date=Aug 21 2009, 12:07 PM:name=-Klaus-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Klaus- @ Aug 21 2009, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think I know of a game engine that will be as easily moddable as NS2 from what the devs have been saying. Have they even got a name for it? The graphics are at least in the source range from what I can see and for me thats more than enough.

On a side note isn't this what valve are trying to do with the source engine? Gabe keeps talking about an engine overhaul for episode 3, but rather than starting from scratch they're bolting in new components and changing old ones...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would go to say that the visuals in the NS2 engine exceed the visuals in any source game. The one feature that stands out the most is the Dynamic Lighting.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    The videos thus far have certainly shown that the NS2 graphics engine will be on par with the source graphics engine. I'm still waiting to see some videos featuring word physics, player control, and networking.